Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. I found this forum looking for some answers to a problem. Took our Ascent in for its first service the middle of April. They changed the oil and checked all the fluid levels. One week later we started having white smoke come from the exhaust upon a cold start.
A little background info: it only does this when the car is parked on a slope with the passenger side facing downhill, after it’s been driven and sits for a few hours or overnight. In other words, the passenger side is sitting lower. The dealership changed the oil again but it’s still doing it. This car only has 4000 miles on it and preformed flawlessly before its first service. Dealership has the car but says they are waiting on Subaru to tell them what to do.
Does anyone else have this same issue? Would love to hear some feedback.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe. My smoke looks more white than blue. Maybe it’s normal, but just seems odd that it never happened until after the 1st oil change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S. they did change the oil again just in case that was the problem. Still smoked at startup.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Some white smoke at startup could be condensation but from my understanding excessive amounts "could" mean a coolant leak in your engine. The blue smoke at startup typically is burning oil. If it persists I would have them take a look at it (recording a video of it when it happens may help them at the service department).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Before my first oil change, occasional white smoke but didn’t smell like burning oil. After oil change (and they overfilled it) it smokes more often and it smells oily. What does it smell like to you?

·
Read Only
45 Posts
The PZEV are notorious for having smoke when the temperature starts to get a little chilly, even when it's slightly above zero. Not sure if they make an Ascent with a PZEV though

·
Super Moderator
6,568 Posts
The PZEV are notorious for having smoke when the temperature starts to get a little chilly, even when it's slightly above zero. Not sure if they make an Ascent with a PZEV though
what do u mean? with PZEV?
The Ascent isn't PZEV, and, not, it's not a catalytic converter (though the catalytic converter is a part of it). Partial Zero Emissions Vehicles are vehicles that are designed and tested to be an “automobile that has zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system, has a 15-year (or at least 150,000-mile) warranty on its emission-control components, and meets Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) tailpipe-emission standards.”

1 - 11 of 11 Posts