Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a set of the Wildpeak A/T trails installed today at Discount Tire. Went with the stock 245/50/20 stock size. First off pictures do not do these tires justice. I have seen all the postings but WOW they really change the look of the Ascent for the better. Short drive so far on mixed roads. No noticeable noise difference but they feel more “planted” than the stock tires.
I worked with Don from Discount Tire (from this forum), and was blown away by the service at my local store. They gave me credit on the 3 good tires as the 4th was damaged beyond repair.
Wonderful experience and I look forward to enjoying the new shoes on forest roads this weekend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, those are expensive but they look like just what I was looking for to replace the stock tires when they wear out. The stock rubber sucks in winter going up the hill to my steep driveway. These look like they would perform much better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, those are expensive but they look like just what I was looking for to replace the stock tires when they wear out. The stock rubber sucks in winter going up the hill to my steep driveway. These look like they would perform much better.
Not really. They cost about $7.00 more per tire then the OEM 20” Falkens that come with the Ascent.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They are really impressive, might have to get me some once the OEMs are worn down. I've a discount Tire right by my work so will be so easy :) So they gave you credit for your used tires? Wonder if they'd do that for nearly new ones.. hrmmm, not sure my hubby would go for that right away, worth a try :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are really impressive, might have to get me some once the OEMs are worn down. I've a discount Tire right by my work so will be so easy :) So they gave you credit for your used tires? Wonder if they'd do that for nearly new ones.. hrmmm, not sure my hubby would go for that right away, worth a try :)
I believe they base it on total condition of the used tires. Don from Discount Tire is a sponsor on this site and would be a great help in answering any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just bought our Ascent on Saturday, hubby's first comment was "now you don't need to get new tires!" lol We have a Discount Tire on my way to work, and I've bought tires from there before and very impressed with the service and quality of the work and products. I'm already scoping out things to add to my new Boo! Those tires look amazing! Perfect for my Tahoe excursions :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had 4 Falken Wildpeaks that I took off an Acadia that I had to get rid of due a timing chain issue. They only has 5k miles on them and were 255/60/19. So I called tirerack and they said they might fit the Ascent but couldn’t guarantee it. Given I wanted to downsize from 20” rims to 18” or 19” rims anyway, I took a chance and orders some 19” rims and scheduled a ‘fitment’ appointment with tirerack a new mobile ASAP tire service.

Lo and behold the 31” tires fit and look great. The ride quality is a little softer and also a little more responsive due to the stiffer sidewalls of the Falken AT’s. They changed the stance of the car a lot, given they are 8.6” wide and 31” overall diameter. The diameter increase they speedometer is a little off but I don’t care. Will also have to change out the spare to match the diameter.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry for the typos ... fat fingers and auto correct are a bad combo!!
Looks good! I don’t think you see BBS rims on SUVs that often. I love the brand, had them come stock on my 1996 Jetta GLX. Always wanted an excuse to put them on my vehicles now!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah ... agree. It’s a bit weird to put sports sedan type wheels on the ascent. BBS also makes a titanium painted SR that’s more rugged looking. Almost went with them. But since I use this car for business also, and since a lot Q5’s and 7’s have this look, I decided to taken a chance on the SX’s w the anthracite accent color. They look nice with the magnetite gray exterior. So it’s bit of a mix ... AT tires on sporty wheels ... guess it matches how many of us are ... while at work I am dying to have a fly rod in my hand and while i am fishing I find myself thinking about work ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts