Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wait for the end, they test the AWD system. I wish they would have killed the music so we could hear cabin noise (or lack there of) during the drive. Hope the link works

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I think those were the 20" wheels as well. Still don't think I'll take it on the beach this summer but it will do some minor off road driving in late August.
I love the look of the 20" wheels, but I am thinking about seeing if the dealer will swap them with the 18" wheels. What's your thoughts?

EDIT: On second thought, even on stock tires, the Ascent seemed to eat up the beach and trails!! WOW!

·
Registered
492 Posts
That was really cool!

But I wished they hadn’t cut the video when the Ascent was cresting that last hill/bump where it looked like it lost traction or momentum. Did it eventually make it over on the first try or did they have to back up and go again faster? I’ve been watching Subaru vs the rest AWD videos, getting ready for our first Subaru (the Ascent!) so that’s why I was a little disappointed they didn’t show that clip without cutting it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I love the look of the 20" wheels, but I am thinking about seeing if the dealer will swap them with the 18" wheels. What's your thoughts?

EDIT: On second thought, even on stock tires, the Ascent seemed to eat up the beach and trails!! WOW!
I have thought the same thing but mainly because I'm worried about the huge potholes in my area. But when I looked at it in person the tires seemed to have more meat on them then I thought.

Still debating on seeing if I can switch them out as I think it will get better MPG which could be worth it!

·
Registered
597 Posts
That was really cool!

But I wished they hadn’t cut the video when the Ascent was cresting that last hill/bump where it looked like it lost traction or momentum. Did it eventually make it over on the first try or did they have to back up and go again faster? I’ve been watching Subaru vs the rest AWD videos, getting ready for our first Subaru (the Ascent!) so that’s why I was a little disappointed they didn’t show that clip without cutting it.
What other vehicles are you looking at? I ask because Subaru has one of the best AWD systems with the only one even close being Jeep or Land Rover (could be argued as 4WD). You can find a ton of videos where they show a forester or outback getting moving when just one wheel has traction. Good luck finding that with vehicles such as the Highlander, Pilot, or Explorer. I'm not sure it made it over that hill but I bet the others wouldn't have been close especially since they also have less ground clearance!

·
Registered
287 Posts
What other vehicles are you looking at? I ask because Subaru has one of the best AWD systems with the only one even close being Jeep or Land Rover (could be argued as 4WD). You can find a ton of videos where they show a forester or outback getting moving when just one wheel has traction. Good luck finding that with vehicles such as the Highlander, Pilot, or Explorer. I'm not sure it made it over that hill but I bet the others wouldn't have been close especially since they also have less ground clearance!
Totally agree with you. But all the videos I found and watched was years ago and I really want to see a latest video with competitors AWD/4WD. At least 6 months old videos? The reason I was looking for those are, even the competitors may have upgraded their systems and technology.
Can you post any links here, if you come across any?

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Totally agree with you. But all the videos I found and watched was years ago and I really want to see a latest video with competitors AWD/4WD. At least 6 months old videos? The reason I was looking for those are, even the competitors may have upgraded their systems and technology.
Can you post any links here, if you come across any?
There's new videos all over YouTube. Only Jeep and Land Rover are in the same league. Even Audi (and thus VW) come in second - and that's compared to the new Outback. The Ascent is even more capable, with higher torque, a better CVT and all wheel active torque vectoring* (and better torque management system to allow all wheel active torque vectoring and towing sway control).

Outback vs Audi A6 Quattro:
https://www.facebook.com/SubaruAmbassadorRobert/posts/2018846368156378

* NOTE: All wheel active torque vectoring doesn't mean all wheels are controlled at once. It means that all four wheels, in pairs of two (the inside wheels front and rear) are speed controlled to ensure all four wheels are rotating at the correct speeds when the steering wheel is turned. Previous Subarus with Active Torque Vectoring only controlled front wheels (one inside wheel, dependent on which direction the steering wheel was pointed).

·
Registered
597 Posts
There's new videos all over YouTube. Only Jeep and Land Rover are in the same league. Even Audi (and thus VW) come in second - and that's compared to the new Outback. The Ascent is even more capable, with higher torque, a better CVT and all wheel active torque vectoring* (and better torque management system to allow all wheel active torque vectoring and towing sway control).

Exact video I was thinking of. Also need to include Dodge in there as I'm pretty sure they just took the Jeep AWD system for the Durango. I remember one article said they were shocked at how good the Durango was off road with the stock tires even compared to the Expedition and Tahoe off road models which have a real 4WD system.

I know others will argue that Land Rover is really a 4WD system as well but since you don't have to turn it on really I count it as AWD.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I know others will argue that Land Rover is really a 4WD system as well but since you don't have to turn it on really I count it as AWD.
The problem is Land Rover usually counts their system as AWD, but sometimes calls it 4WD.

Their older system was 4WD, with locking hubs, dual gearing and all. To this date (technically, to at least 2 months ago), even Land Rover occasionally still called their system 4WD.

Compared to most other "AWD" (heh) systems, Land Rover (and Subaru) are closer to 4WD than other systems. They're still AWD mechanically though, but that differentiation makes it difficult, I think.

I always hate when a Subaru and the CR-V, HR-V or any non-truck Nissan get lumped into the same "AWD" group. They are not even remotely the same or even similar.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Subaru have been known for a long time to have the best AWD. CR has done lots of tests, and the top vehicles are always Subaru's. Driving in snow is probably the ultimate test.
https://www.newsday.com/classifieds...est-wagons-suv-for-driving-in-snow-1.12782646
Best compact SUVs in winter conditions put to test by Consumer Reports | abc7.com
That's my local paper, lol (Newsday). But yeah, on CR tests and KBB tests, the Subarus are always in the top 10, and often take the top slots one right after another.

It's pretty much a guarantee that there's only 5 or so slots left open for other brands. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
492 Posts
That was really cool!

But I wished they hadn’t cut the video when the Ascent was cresting that last hill/bump where it looked like it lost traction or momentum.
Did it eventually make it over on the first try or did they have to back up and go again faster? I’ve been watching Subaru vs the rest AWD videos, getting ready for our first Subaru (the Ascent!) so that’s why I was a little disappointed they didn’t show that clip without cutting it.
Yeah, I was watching them show the Subaru being the only one able to climb an almost 45 degree sandy/gravely slope and then also climb a steep slip N slide (water cover plastic track)! My jaw dropped watching those videos.

I think they were kind of old videos but I figured the other car manufacturers probably don't think Subaru is stealing too many of their customers yet. So they probably haven't cared much to improve their 4WD/AWD systems. But that's probably going to change now with the Ascent!

·
Registered
287 Posts

* NOTE: All wheel active torque vectoring doesn't mean all wheels are controlled at once. It means that all four wheels, in pairs of two (the inside wheels front and rear) are speed controlled to ensure all four wheels are rotating at the correct speeds when the steering wheel is turned. Previous Subarus with Active Torque Vectoring only controlled front wheels (one inside wheel, dependent on which direction the steering wheel was pointed).
Thanks, I will check it out once I get home.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Subaru have been known for a long time to have the best AWD. CR has done lots of tests, and the top vehicles are always Subaru's. Driving in snow is probably the ultimate test.
https://www.newsday.com/classifieds...est-wagons-suv-for-driving-in-snow-1.12782646
Best compact SUVs in winter conditions put to test by Consumer Reports | abc7.com
That's my local paper, lol (Newsday). But yeah, on CR tests and KBB tests, the Subarus are always in the top 10, and often take the top slots one right after another.

It's pretty much a guarantee that there's only 5 or so slots left open for other brands. :tango_face_wink:
This is where Subaru excels. I give them that their AWD systems is definitely plus on those wintry conditions.

HOWEVER....it's the other aspects of the car (styling, features, options) the they really need to work on.

Just an example....it's not even fair to compare the AWD of the Forrester to the CR-V on those winter/AWD driving tests; it's not even a contest. The Forrester will blow the competition out of the water.
But then there are other aspects of the car that the informed consumer will start to consider after that. And there's a reason the CR-V continues to be a best-seller on this segment.
Honda does enough to get by with the "so called AWD" system of theirs to let consumers know that it's capable driving in those not so ideal conditions, and then will edge out the competition on the other factors that other consumers think is more important than the AWD system.

That's why I think that the Ascent is an important product for Subaru as it will be the catalyst for these changes.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts