Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
received the good/bad news earlier today that my year old ascent limited will be receiving a transplant (weak lol), as metallic residue was found during an enhanced inspection i demanded after a heart-stopping event here on our indy 500 freeways in so california. was cruising nicely at approx 75 mph on adaptive cruise in #1 lane, when suddenly speed began to drop like stone. this, besides every ding and beep the car could make, caused me to glance at dash. every indicator light that could possibly be on, was lit up; some i didn't know existed. at the same time, in order to prevent being flattened by following high speed traffic, i mashed the throttle to regain mph. nothing. engine would rev, but trans had gone into, what the 'old days' called 'limp mode'. car could not hardly get out of its own way. finally worked way to shoulder without dying (no one will yield here whatsoever). was able to get car to purchasing dlrship, and reported the events. had been concerned previously about rodent damage to wiring which has caused 2 occasions of about half the warning lights coming on. dlr inspected at 6k oil change, but did not say they found wire damage; either did a reset or flashed the ecu to clear the problems. i thought this latest event might be rat related, which is why i wanted the microscopic inspection. is it rat trouble, or do i have the start of ecu problems. am still going to contact my friend who is a l/l atty to open a file on this car, and follow its life events now. very disappointing in general. $50k for a new ride which we really enjoy; but now are beginning to get a bad taste. hope this will get resolved, and have smooth sailing from now on. sort of a rant on this today, and my apologies for venting. thanks for looking in. all the folks here have been very helpful and informative. thanks for everyone sharing you knowledge/experience.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
received the good/bad news earlier today that my year old ascent limited will be receiving a transplant (weak lol), as metallic residue was found during an enhanced inspection i demanded after a heart-stopping event here on our indy 500 freeways in so california. was cruising nicely at approx 75 mph on adaptive cruise in #1 lane, when suddenly speed began to drop like stone. this, besides every ding and beep the car could make, caused me to glance at dash. every indicator light that could possibly be on, was lit up; some i didn't know existed. at the same time, in order to prevent being flattened by following high speed traffic, i mashed the throttle to regain mph. nothing. engine would rev, but trans had gone into, what the 'old days' called 'limp mode'. car could not hardly get out of its own way. finally worked way to shoulder without dying (no one will yield here whatsoever). was able to get car to purchasing dlrship, and reported the events. had been concerned previously about rodent damage to wiring which has caused 2 occasions of about half the warning lights coming on. dlr inspected at 6k oil change, but did not say they found wire damage; either did a reset or flashed the ecu to clear the problems. i thought this latest event might be rat related, which is why i wanted the microscopic inspection. is it rat trouble, or do i have the start of ecu problems. am still going to contact my friend who is a l/l atty to open a file on this car, and follow its life events now. very disappointing in general. $50k for a new ride which we really enjoy; but now are beginning to get a bad taste. hope this will get resolved, and have smooth sailing from now on. sort of a rant on this today, and my apologies for venting. thanks for looking in. all the folks here have been very helpful and informative. thanks for everyone sharing you knowledge/experience.
It's a known problem with Red Ascents... Seriously, I am sorry for the hassle. I know it is a disappointment. Others who have gone through it have come out the other end fully taken care of by SOA. Your Ascent will not even need a pacemaker. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your support. at least i'm not alone in the wilderness.?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just an update; recvd a call 2day, 11/5, from my dlr serv mgr stating that ascent transmissions are on national back order. he said they will try to place me on a priority list, but not to expect to be able to get the unit b4 the end of november. lucky me. i will place a photo of our car on the thanksgiving platter in place of the other turkey (the feathered kind). have been in touch with my l/law contact to have him explain how things work with that process. he did state something i will pass along for folk's edification. he said that when communicating at the service desk; to be sure that your problem for that visit is written down verbatim in the record as you dictate it to the service writer. double check the info you give them for all pertinent details you are there for, before you walk away. if the information is not included in their record; it is just as if it was never discussed, and it becomes a you-said they-said situation. also when picking up the car following repairs, be sure to read the work order to see what was done; and if the items listed when you left the car were worked on. this is the important, detailed lawyer part of the process. do not rush through things, as this is your ammunition for any future problems; especially if it goes to the l/law level. even use your memo feature on your phone to record your interactions with dlr staff members to have a thorough record. keeping a journal is helpful, but not as important as the above stated items. what a world we live in.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My dealer had told me that transmissions were on back order last week. Today I got a call saying the transmission arrived and they will probably have it ready this week. :)

So much for my dreams about putting lots of miles on the loaner car. :unsure:

·
Administrator
11,406 Posts
My dealer had told me that transmissions were on back order last week. Today I got a call saying the transmission arrived and they will probably have it ready this week. :)
I don't like getting people's hopes up, but since you already got the good news... the CVT's are generally on "backorder" because they're made at and shipped from Subaru Corp Japan, so, they don't show in the US inventory. 1-3 weeks seems to be the average turn-around time for ordering and delivery to dealership (not the 4-8 weeks usually quoted to customers).

But, as with anything big like that taking a boat across a very big ocean, anything can happen. ;)
LOL! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahhhh sooo..... thank you sensei.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i had a discussion with the dlrs' "master mechanic" about my trans. i told him about seeing info regarding bad wiring harnesses causing trannie failures. he said he had seen and heard about it, but that all new replacement trannies come with a brand new wiring harness. don't know if this is be cause of past problems or what; but made me feel a microscopic bit better. good luck with yours.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm glad that indications are that your problems will be solved. What the rest of us would like to know (at least for piece of mind) is at what point the change in wiring harness was made. Are cars built in 2019 "in the clear" as far as this failure mode goes?

·
Administrator
11,406 Posts
at what point the change in wiring harness was made.
There is no change to the wiring harness. It's still PN 24031AA850 with no supercessions. So, I presume a supplier issue was dealt with. That would also explain why when a P0842 is thrown, and a harness issue detected, the harness is now replaced instead of repaired.

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is no change to the wiring harness. It's still PN 24031AA850 with no supercessions. So, I presume a supplier issue was dealt with. That would also explain why when a P0842 is thrown, and a harness issue detected, the harness is now replaced instead of repaired.
Thanks Robert. I guess I conflated "new" with "changed."

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
am glad to see that they realized, even 'secretly', that the wiring could be a base cause of trans unit failures. would hate to think they would not change/improve something that basic, and then send new trannies out the door; only to self-destruct again. hopefully this will be a perm fix for this particular issue. too bad there is no 'freedom of info act' for car companies. sure would make for some interesting reading about what they knew, and when they knew it. thanks sensei. we are just grasshoppers, wandering in the wilderness.....

·
Administrator
11,406 Posts
Well, Subaru is pretty public about problems... but throwing a contracted vendor under the bus isn't like them or any other company, for that matter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts