Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know there is a bunch of threads on here that talk about wheels and tires and use all kinds of technical jargon, which is great and I am sure I will come to learn it eventually, but in reality I just picked up a 2020 Ascent and I want to make it a little bit more aggressive looking, stock is just too soccer mom/dad for me, even though that's why we got it..lol.. So here it goes, what is the best set up for with a LP 2 lift, what's the biggest tire/wheel combo that doesn't rub and has good ride quality on the road. This car is 90% pavement 10% other. I don't really understand the technical stuff about offset and x,y,z etc...Just looking to do some mods asap.
Help newbie out.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
So I know there is a bunch of threads on here that talk about wheels and tires and use all kinds of technical jargon, which is great and I am sure I will come to learn it eventually, but in reality I just picked up a 2020 Ascent and I want to make it a little bit more aggressive looking, stock is just too soccer mom/dad for me, even though that's why we got it..lol.. So here it goes, what is the best set up for with a LP 2 lift, what's the biggest tire/wheel combo that doesn't rub and has good ride quality on the road. This car is 90% pavement 10% other. I don't really understand the technical stuff about offset and x,y,z etc...Just looking to do some mods asap.
Help newbie out.
Thanks.
visit your local discount tire for options that will work. You will then be able to see, touch and price out your options.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Lift or no lift, the maximum tire size doesn't change materially...which is consistent with most vehicles like this and their unibody designs. You're just stretching the suspension a bit with the "lift". You may or may not be able to squeeze a 265/50R20 or 265/60R18 on...I'm not sure. You'll also need to change your spare to a tire of the same diameter to avoid damage to your drivetrain should you need to run the spare.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I believe the most critical thing to learn is the offset of the wheel to minimize the rubbing. Just remember that you want to move toward negative offset. E.g. if OEM offset is 55mm, then going toward negative # is less than 55mm. A zero offset will poke out more than 38mm.

Vaguely, 30.5" @ 38mm offset (I don't remember tire width) is the max on stock suspension height. The stock diameter is like 29.5" or so. See if you can find a zero offset wheels. someone gonna get on your tail for this but you'll need to find rims w/ properly load rating capacity, I think 1800lbs/wheel.

Lastly, the Ascent is not really designed for lift or bigger wheels in mind. The wheel wheel arch is not circular, it's more like rectangular which limits the larger diameter wheel, lifted or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts