Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Be prepared to be expectedly impressed that the Ascent is equally as good, if not a little better (due to more power). Not that it will be a surprise, lol!!!

My landlord used to ask me "Aren't you going to plow the driveway so you can get out?"

"I have a Subaru, I can get out easily... plowing is optional." ;)
I bet he was pretty upset if he had to be the one to plow/shovel the driveway, after you packed it down by driving through the snow.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Believe me, I know all about winter tires. Every year I change my mom’s tires, ( I insisted she get them actually) and my wife’s tires. Right now I don’t have the budget for a set for the new Ascent. So I’m hoping the stock tire Subaru chose will be sufficient, (the ones Honda put on the Ridgeline were) and since off road and bad road conditions are kind of Subaru’s thing, in my mind they should be. I’ll report back on it this winter.
I use these year round here in Colorado. I purchased a set of dedicated snow tires/wheels but will be selling them this winter to make room in my garage.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So a few hundred km’s in and so far so good. Mileage is averaging 9.8l/100kms, (I think that’s around 24mpg for you U.S. forum members) in mixed driving but mostly city. The ride is super nice. It’s kinda strange that it drives along feeling very soft and almost floaty like my old ‘84 boat of a car years ago, but as soon as you turn into a corner it feels tight and planted. I don’t know how Subaru managed that but it’s great! Cabin noise is minimal, no wind or tire noise and the engine is quiet. Plenty of power and no lag. CVT is super smooth and I’ve only felt the “shifts” once or twice. Wife and kids love the car and the smooth ride.
Our only “complaint” is how slow it seems you are moving in it. I keep checking the speedo and it says I’m doing say 60km/h but it feels like 20, lol! It accelerates fast and smooth but between the super smooth ride, quiet engine and no shifts it feels like we are crawling!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just having my morning coffee thinking about how I get to enjoy my short drive to work. It’s been a while since I really enjoyed even just a short drive. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my Ridgeline but after 13 years it just wasn’t s exciting anymore. Plus it was starting to make a few worrisome noises greatly taking away from the enjoyment. And then there’s my wife’s car which I don’t drive often, and it’s a good car but boring. It’s a ‘12 Hyundai Elantra Touring, (a true wagon before they turned it into the “sportier” less useful shape).
Anyways, just felt like mentioning that I find driving the Ascent very enjoyable. Super smooth and comfortable, but confidence inspiring handling and plenty enough power for it not to be just a boring family hauler.
Got a guy at work that drives a WRX so I think I’ll have to find him on break and chat Subaru, lol!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, we had a light dusting the other day which made the road surface slick. And a light snowfall yesterday, 2-3”. Nothing to have to push through but fairly slippery. Tried to get her to slide a bit and tested a couple times heavy on the brakes. Nothing to crazy but enough to give me a bit of confidence in the stock tires. Have to see once it’s -40 and a foot of snow but so far so good.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
I bet he was pretty upset if he had to be the one to plow/shovel the driveway, after you packed it down by driving through the snow.
They have their own driveway, which I do shovel as a courtesy for them.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,830 Posts
Have to see once it’s -40 and a foot of snow but so far so good.
The OEM tires are not going to be your best experience in those extremes, but I suspect you know that...it's not the snow so much as the low temps that affect the traction.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The OEM tires are not going to be your best experience in those extremes, but I suspect you know that...it's not the snow so much as the low temps that affect the traction.
Yup, exactly why I mentioned the temp. I know dedicated snow tires are the best, but as I mentioned the Michelin’s I had on the Ridgeline were up to the task. I hoping I can get by with the stock tires at very least through Her first winter, then I’ll see...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,830 Posts
Just be careful as the all-season "rubber" is going to get slick as snot when that really low temp comes into play. First year, the tread will be deep which will help with the snow, but it's the 'slickness" I would worry about. We don't want to be reading about you in the "Member Mishaps" forum area! (I'm glad I don't live in an area where "real winter" occurs :) )

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just be careful as the all-season "rubber" is going to get slick as snot when that really low temp comes into play. First year, the tread will be deep which will help with the snow, but it's the 'slickness" I would worry about. We don't want to be reading about you in the "Member Mishaps" forum area! (I'm glad I don't live in an area where "real winter" occurs :) )
Oh, don’t worry. I’m fully aware of the rubber compound of winter tires vs, “all seasons”. But like I said, the Michelin’s I had were great, even in -40. Hopeful these will be alright. Don’t have the nearly $2000 it will cost for a set on rims right now.
Been driving in these conditions for 25 years, started in rwd cars and trucks with half bald tires and no fancy things like abs never mind traction control.
My bigger concern is if the wife needs to take my car out for some reason. But even then, it’s got the awd verses her fwd, and a more advanced traction control so should be fine.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So after a few light snowfalls, and -10celcius mornings, (not the -40 we’ll be getting in January but cold enough for ice under fresh snow) I’m confident these tires will get me through the winter but I’ll likely pick up a set of winters in the summer when I can get a good off season, last years tires deal. That’s what I did years ago for three wife’s car at the time. Saved about $300.
So I’ve read that cold weather noise from the cvt is fairly normal, it even mentions it somewhere on Subaru’s site. But strange noises always make me nervous. It’s kind of a whine or higher pitched groan. It’ll go away after a few blocks, (my drive to work is fairly quick so it doesn’t go away on it) just wondering how many folks in colder areas experience it?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The more I drive my Ascent, the more I like it. Didn’t take long to adjust to the touchy gas pedal. The Brake pedal has a bit more travel before engaging than I typically like, but I guess I’ll eventually not notice. Loving the manoeuvrability compared to the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So we’ve got enough snow and cold enough temps, 12” drifts, mornings of 4” uniform covering, icy corners, chunks from plows, -27 -37C with wind, for me to say the Ascents winter capabilities exceed those of my Ridgeline. On familiar intersections where I know the Ridgeline used to spin before the traction system jumped in, in these conditions, the Ascent just goes. Braking seems a bit better too. Just have to watch as the Subie lets me throw the back end around more, I enjoy this and can be useful in some situations but definitely different than the Ridgeline.
It does take longer to warm up though, but once it does it gets much warmer than the Ridgeline did. I’ve even used the fancy pants seat warmer a couple times.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I love my seat warmers! Happy to learn it is working out for you.
I’ve never seen much use for them, I’m like a portable furnace though. Convinced my wife married me for my body heat, lol! She won’t have a vehicle without them. Years ago I bought her one of the lighter socket deals for her Civic that didn’t have, and then we had to get heated seats on her next car. It’s now mandatory!
Now ventilated seats are something I could get on board with, but not willing to move up to higher trim levels for them. I’d add on for a reasonable price... I just wish car manufacturers would bring back the vents like my old car and truck had, especially the “ball chiller”!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I’ve never seen much use for them, I’m like a portable furnace though. Convinced my wife married me for my body heat,
If you are not already there, wait until you get to the his/her individually controlled mattress heaters.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you are not already there, wait until you get to the his/her individually controlled mattress heaters.
She’s got an electric blanket under the mattress cover on her side, I keep toying with the idea of running the a/c through some tubing under my side, lol!
She of course has heated passenger seat in the Ascent which she’s enjoying as the Ridgeline did not have any heated seats. The multiple climate zones are proving useful as she likes it a lot hotter than I like my side and I can adjust it for the kids too but they’re more like me.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think I’ll be using those seat warmers tomorrow, and the cvt going to be noisy. -50celcius to start the day.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts