Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we just bought a new 2020 Ascent, convenience/or base model. After much research it seems like the best in it’s class for our needs. I traded in my beloved 13 year old Honda Ridgeline. That trucks AWD system was amazing in our Canadian winters so I’m expecting a lot from the Subaru.
Love the ride in this thing, and the ease of use of its features. I also really like the look inside and out, much of the competition seems like they’re trying too hard.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Hi, we just bought a new 2020 Ascent, convenience/or base model. After much research it seems like the best in it’s class for our needs. I traded in my beloved 13 year old Honda Ridgeline. That trucks AWD system was amazing in our Canadian winters so I’m expecting a lot from the Subaru.
Love the ride in this thing, and the ease of use of its features. I also really like the look inside and out, much of the competition seems like they’re trying too hard.
The AWD will not disappoint.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The AWD will not disappoint.
From everything I’ve read and heard, Subaru’s AWD is outstanding. I expect it will impress. That Ridgeline had had a great system, plus it had nearly even weight distribution. Both vehicles have similar weight and power numbers, (Subaru torque is available at much lower rpm) as much as I don’t want the snow, at the same time I can’t wait to try it out!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
From everything I’ve read and heard, Subaru’s AWD is outstanding. I expect it will impress. That Ridgeline had had a great system, plus it had nearly even weight distribution. Both vehicles have similar weight and power numbers, (Subaru torque is available at much lower rpm) as much as I don’t want the snow, at the same time I can’t wait to try it out!
I know the feeling.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honda should’ve squared off the front nose of the Ridgeline just slightly somewhat like the previous version.But anyways welcome to the forum and enjoy the Ascent.
The new ones are ok. I preferred my old 07 to the current model though. They upped the price and our family has more use for the enclosed space these days. When I originally bought my Ridgeline back in 07, I was still landscaping the yard, building a deck, hauling appliances and furniture. Nowadays it’s kids, sporting equipment, the dogs so the Ascent should work nicely.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,290 Posts
This is also our first Subaru. Our other two cars are an '05 Acura MDX and '09 Honda Ridgeline, both with Honda's excellent VTM-4 system, and I know what you mean when you say how well that AWD system works. I'm sure the Subaru will be great in the snow...it definitely has big shoes to fill in our house.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
This is also our first Subaru. Our other two cars are an '05 Acura MDX and '09 Honda Ridgeline, both with Honda's excellent VTM-4 system, and I know what you mean when you say how well that AWD system works. I'm sure the Subaru will be great in the snow...it definitely has big shoes to fill in our house.
like these?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Were you a member on the Ridgeline Owners Club forum?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent
3 Posts
I've had three Subes, a Forester XT, Tribeca Ltd and now the 2020 Ascent. Can't speak for the Ascent yet as I just got it but the previous two were AMAZING in the snow (with snow tires). NEVER was stuck and I had to get through large snow windrows to get into my back alley to park. Actually purposely went out when the city was closed due to snow as there would not be anyone out anywhere. A couple of times I had the SUV in the shop and was given a rental and it always SUCKED.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Be prepared to be expectedly impressed that the Ascent is equally as good, if not a little better (due to more power). Not that it will be a surprise, lol!!!

My landlord used to ask me "Aren't you going to plow the driveway so you can get out?"

"I have a Subaru, I can get out easily... plowing is optional." ;)

I've had three Subes, a Forester XT, Tribeca Ltd and now the 2020 Ascent. Can't speak for the Ascent yet as I just got it but the previous two were AMAZING in the snow (with snow tires). NEVER was stuck and I had to get through large snow windrows to get into my back alley to park. Actually purposely went out when the city was closed due to snow as there would not be anyone out anywhere. A couple of times I had the SUV in the shop and was given a rental and it always SUCKED.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Curious to know what the weight distribution is on the Ascent? Ridgeline was something like 55% to the front 45% to the rear. I’m certain the pretty even weight distribution helped the AWD system with getting through the snow.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never even needed snow tires on the Honda, just good “all seasons” were enough. Came with some nice Michelin’s and I replaced them at around 115000kms with the equivalent available Michelin’s at the time. And I’m in Winnipeg, we get a ton of snow and Icy conditions. Luckily no hills though.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Curious to know what the weight distribution is on the Ascent? Ridgeline was something like 55% to the front 45% to the rear. I’m certain the pretty even weight distribution helped the AWD system with getting through the snow.
IIRC, 54/46, which can change to rear biased if lots of cargo or towing.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I would probably leave stock in the "sometimes a little snow" parts of the US, and choose a more suited tire for places like Vermont, Colorado's winters, Michigan, Canada, etc.

Nice, so it should be quite similar. AWD, (Subaru full time, Honda on demand from FWD) similar weight, ground clearance and weight distribution. Hopefully the stock tires are up to it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would probably leave stock in the "sometimes a little snow" parts of the US, and choose a more suited tire for places like Vermont, Colorado's winters, Michigan, Canada, etc.
Love to but a set of winter tires is a lot of money, especially if I put on there own set of rims. I’m hoping Subaru’s choice of stock tire is up to the task as was Honda’s choice.
As I said , here in Winnipeg we have no hills so that’s a huge factor. I used to drive an ‘84 Pontiac Grand Prix, rear wheel drive with cheap “all seasons” and managed.
Down the road I’ll see what the new, supposedly true all season tires are worth and how they perform.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,226 Posts
Gsubaru, the OEM tires are generally fine for "average" conditions year round, but they are not ideal for areas where things get very cold and there is a lot of winter precipitation. "All season" isn't the same as "all weather" and true winter tires are a different animal as they stay a lot more flexible and "sticky" at lower temperatures. You may be fine for the first winter with the OEM shoes, but after they wear a bit, I suspect you'll be less enthused "up north".

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Believe me, I know all about winter tires. Every year I change my mom’s tires, ( I insisted she get them actually) and my wife’s tires. Right now I don’t have the budget for a set for the new Ascent. So I’m hoping the stock tire Subaru chose will be sufficient, (the ones Honda put on the Ridgeline were) and since off road and bad road conditions are kind of Subaru’s thing, in my mind they should be. I’ll report back on it this winter.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts