Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2020 Base model Ascent. There are some things I like and a few that are driving me crazy.
With a flash drive plugged in and Media selected on the HU I can browse just fine. I like to play by folder.
I'll browse to a folder and Play All, then go back to the previous screen. When I browse again it starts over at the root and is no longer browsing by folder.
Is there a way to have it remember what folder I was in and that I was browsing folders not song title.

Ideally I'd like to have all 650gig of my collection available. I did hook up a usb hard drive and it started indexing. I didn't wait long enough for it to finish but I hope it only needs to do this once.

I'm coming from a 2011 Outback that I put a carputer in back in 2010. I was able to make it to do exactly what I wanted.
I'm not sure I'd be able to do the same type of thing with this car because of the integration with other aspects of the car.
Any help or guides on basics of using the HU would be appreciated.

Thanks.
davidk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found some videos and other things explaining more about this...abomination they call an Infotainment system.
I guess I couldn't believe it could be as bad as it is and thought I was missing a setting or something.
Really sucks that it can't be replaced or at least I've not found anyone that has.

I can kinda get Android Auto working. It won't start Pandora or VLC unless you start them on the phone first. Found others that said the same thing.
I just loaded the music player Musicolet but haven't tried it in the car. It's free and looks like it will sort and play by file name.
So many of them only work with playlists.
I now need to look into getting a phone with expandable storage. The 70+gig free on my OnePlus6t just won't cut it.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Sadly, your problems are Android Auto. Pandora has been problematic on it since day one, and even disappears from the Android Auto apps screen. Any unsupported player (eg: VLC) will NOT show on Android Auto app screen at all, and must be initiated on the phone.

To play music locally stored, I use Rocketplayer, which IS supported by Android Auto and works well. There are others as well.

As for phones with expandable storage, I got a Note9 (and other Notes before that) because I could stick a microSD card in it. I currently have 512GB installed.

I found some videos and other things explaining more about this...abomination they call an Infotainment system.
I guess I couldn't believe it could be as bad as it is and thought I was missing a setting or something.
Really sucks that it can't be replaced or at least I've not found anyone that has.

I can kinda get Android Auto working. It won't start Pandora or VLC unless you start them on the phone first. Found others that said the same thing.
I just loaded the music player Musicolet but haven't tried it in the car. It's free and looks like it will sort and play by file name.
So many of them only work with playlists.
I now need to look into getting a phone with expandable storage. The 70+gig free on my OnePlus6t just won't cut it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that link is where I found Musicolet..which is already uninstalled after loading Rocketplayer.
Rocketplayer was mentioned in the text for JetAudio which I only skimmed the first time I read it. It worked straight away. I also loaded JetAudio but haven't given it a test.

Android Auto now looks like it will work well enough to get me by for a little while. Still not an ideal solution for me.
I don't always want to plug in my phone.
I'm going to test using an old phone with no sim. Downloading google maps that I think I'll need and loading a small selection of my music. If it works I'll look at finding a phone with larger storage capability than the S4 I'll test with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not a fan of streaming either, though I do it sometimes. I don't have a subscription to anything though so my library is limited. I also don't have my own music stored in the cloud cause, well, 600gig could get expensive.

How are you using the interface for usb media? In other words are you sorting by artist or folder etc..
If you browse by folder does it remember what folder you were in last?

I've got a phone without a SIM connected right now and it does resume AA after the car was off. I've got some saved maps and set it to automatically update on wifi which should connect every night in the garage.
This really isn't too different than a USB stick but the music interface with Jet or Rocket is closer to what I want.
I think I'll ask my son what it would take to write our own app for AA. That 75k for school should benefit me somehow. ;)

My list of wants for playing music:
-Local storage - lots of it
-Folder view - remember what folder you were last in!
-Sort by file name / Play by file name
-Select a folder to play - it should play everything in that folder and sub-folders. Right now I have to browse all the way to a song to play.
-The next/previous buttons on the steering wheel should control what's on the screen at the time instead of only next track. When I'm browsing folders the buttons would select next/previous folder and play it.
-A steering wheel button to switch between the current and previous screen. For example, browsing folders, selecting one to play brings up a screen with all the tracts in that folder/subfolder. The next/previous buttons move up and down the tracks. Push the button to go to the previous screen which should be the folders and the next/previous now move up and down the folders.
-Bigger spots for touch screen buttons. The size of the spot that registers a press seems to be somewhat small.

Overall, with the desire to have your eyes on the road at all times, I find I'm looking at the screen and trying to hit small touch screen buttons more with this system.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I'm not a fan of streaming either, though I do it sometimes. I don't have a subscription to anything though so my library is limited. I also don't have my own music stored in the cloud cause, well, 600gig could get expensive.
Google Drive gives you 2TB for only $10/mo. I don't know if it would meet your needs or not...
I have my iTunes library mapped to my Google Drive, which gives me the option to stream it pretty much anywhere that has an internet connection. On top of that I'm on a family plan with Apple Music for streaming. I combined Verizon Wireless plans and saved everyone ton of money so I don't even pay for the Apple Music myself. They do have a great library for streaming with basically the same interface as local storage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind if I can't get local storage working like I want.

I just discovered that only one device at a time can connect via bluetooth. So having a phone with no sim acting as storage means I can't make calls with my actual phone.
I'll see if the storage phone can do AA without bluetooth allowing my other phone to make calls via the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.