Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually set out to buy an Outback a couple of months ago. I sold my 25 year old Legacy Outback last year and regretted selling it. We are preparing for retirementl. Our other cars, a 2001 Chevy Tahoe is doing week, but to make it another 20 years? Then we have a 2013 Nissan Altima with a lot of miles. As you see we keep cars a long time.

I finally jumped in to buy the Outback in the end of June. However, I couldn’t find any. I was going to order, but Subaru stopped allowing orders for a while. On July 4th I got a call from my salesman about an Ascent. My husband asked me if I had considered it. The Ascent was the Touring as I wanted on the Outback so yes, I wanted it. I was not able to until the 5th.
But it sold just before they closed-on the 4th.

We had an appointment on the 5th. As we pulled up this beautiful Magnetite Gray Ascent was parked outside the front door. The saleman met us at the door to tell is we couldn’t order. So, my husband says, What about that one? They had just parked it there. We just loved it. To me it doesn't matter it’s not a touring. It has so much on it already.the moonroof is breath taking.

I am learning to drive it. I find I have to touch the gas petal very light or the gas mileage is horrible. It started at 8.4 mpg and increases to 14 for my first tank.second tank is betternow it is settling around 20 Mph. Is this normal as you break it in. Will I always have to be thinking about my foot on the gas petal?

i just wanted to introduce myself.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I was hoping for better. Out Tahoe gets 18 at it’s best and 14 at worst. The Altima we have gotten 40 on the highway. Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am learning and not great with Physics. What do you mean by the barrier of 2k rpms. Being a new car I am doing my best to keep my
Rpms under 3k rpms. So, are you saying once the car is broken in continue to keep at 2k rpms for better gas mileage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Ascent uses turbo charging to provide the level of power necessary to move it with good performance with its 2.4 litre four cylinder engine. When you spool RPM above the 2000-2500 mark, it starts to eat fuel (like any turbo would) at a much more rapid rate. Driving conservatively and not exercising the skinny pedal a lot to the point it's at 2k or below is a good habit. As many of us have found, it will accelerate surprisingly well, even with that more conservative approach because of how it develops torque better than a non-turbo vehicle. Setting the cruise control system to the "Eco" setting provides similar benefits when using ACC on the highway, too. Less aggressive acceleration is your friend when it comes to fuel economy. A lot of folks coming from other vehicles really struggle with this.
Hello there. Fellow Subaru and Ascent n00b here. Got my '22 Ascent 3 days ago. Love it so far.
Enjoy! It’s been 4 weeks for me. I finally drove in the dark the other night. The more I drive it I love how smooth and easy it is to stay within the speed limit. Learning lightness on the petal. And her I thought I was. It’s just so even.We have an Altima that is so easy to speed so this is so nice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Joeybz ..Jim's explanation above is a good one. 2K RPM in 'high' gear seems to the dividing line for many vehicles and mpg. .. The power needed is seriously multiplied with increasing speed.. Especially when aerodynamics don't favor the Ascent or any full size SUV.
The Ascent uses turbo charging to provide the level of power necessary to move it with good performance with its 2.4 litre four cylinder engine. When you spool RPM above the 2000-2500 mark, it starts to eat fuel (like any turbo would) at a much more rapid rate. Driving conservatively and not exercising the skinny pedal a lot to the point it's at 2k or below is a good habit. As many of us have found, it will accelerate surprisingly well, even with that more conservative approach because of how it develops torque better than a non-turbo vehicle. Setting the cruise control system to the "Eco" setting provides similar benefits when using ACC on the highway, too. Less aggressive acceleration is your friend when it comes to fuel economy. A lot of folks coming from other vehicles really struggle with this.
I am starting to find it easier to be lighter on the petal. I have been working at keeping it lower since I was told to keep it under 3k during engine break in. This is making sense to me. I tend to be aware of the gage that tells me how I am doing moment to moment. The car is making me think of my Japanese Professional flute I bought last year. Those Japanese and their precision. If you over do it doesnt do as it was built to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts