Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2019 Premium with 18 inch wheels looking to replace the tires. I am leaning toward the Michelin Defender LTX. Any other good options worth looking at? Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
So many threads here on this...

That said, the Michelin Defender LTX are some of the best tires I've ever used over decades of owning vehicles...and I wish the OEM size had been available for the 20" wheels that are on my Ascent. If so, I'd be running them "as we speak". I'm pretty darn happy with the BFG Advantage TA Sports I am running now, however, and they are true all weather, MS3P designated tires, too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cross Climate 2’s from Michelin all the way.

But I would happily agree with other posts here that older options like the defenders and premiers are also excellent. But the CC 2’s have better tech in about every area, overall anyway... Which makes sense as they are the latest and greatest and, supposedly....., Michelin plans on retiring some older tires lines in the next couple of years in a result. In my last chat with Michelin customer service they noted that (pre covid) they had already started lowering production numbers on older product lines and plan to discontinue the Premiers I love entirely.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,162 Posts
The CrossClimate tires are directional, which have their own pros and cons. Just something to be aware of as you shop the many legitimately good choices you have in the Ascent's two tire sizes.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
364 Posts
The CrossClimate tires are directional, which have their own pros and cons. Just something to be aware of as you shop the many legitimately good choices you have in the Ascent's two tire sizes.
Just curious, what are the pros and cons of directional tires vs non-directional?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Directional tires are harder to rotate side to side because they will need to be removed from the rim and flipped around. They do not get as good of traction in the opposite direction like when backing up.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,162 Posts
Just curious, what are the pros and cons of directional tires vs non-directional?
Pros usually include strong winter traction and hydroplane resistance (this seems to be the case for the CrossClimate 2). The primary drawback is you cannot cross rotate directional tires without also dismounting them from the wheel, to ensure the correct rotating direction is maintained. And you can never flip them and spin them in the opposite direction to equalize directional wear. To Michelin's credit, they acknowledge that you can't follow the automaker's recommended rotation pattern and they'll honor their stated treadwear warranty regardless. My primary concern wouldn't be tread life itself, but tread pattern noise that develops after a couple tens of thousands of miles (that you can't "rotate out").

I'm not here to say whether the CrossClimate 2 tires, or directional tires in general, are right for you or not. That's a personal decision you need to make for yourself as in informed consumer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts