Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,290 Posts
Here's a direct link:

It looks like a pretty new tire, so there is probably not a lot of first-hand experience with these yet.

Tire Rack recently tested these against the Sumitomo HTR Enhance CX2 and the Yokohama Geolandar CV G058 and the Coopers came in third place of the three. It's an interesting tire, as the tread pattern doesn't appear to be very aggressive nor heavily siped, but it still wears the 3PMSF symbol. The marketing material notes an emphasis on long life and durability, and the relative lack of wet and dry traction seems to correlate with that (long-wearing tires typically trade grip for longevity). Additionally, the treadwear rating of 640 isn't all that much higher than many of its competitors and it has a 60k mile warranty (more or less in line with others in this class).

Going only off the one Tire Rack test, I would say there are probably better performing choices that should last just as long at a similar or better price.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct there isn’t much info or review on these tires.Found them interesting because they’re are all seasons and carry the 3 peak symbol.The one guy I saw on YouTube had them on his Jeep and only compared them to another Cooper tire.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,290 Posts
Fortunately, there are a lot of really good choices in this category (all-season with 3PMSF, and assuming you have the 245/60R18 size), including (in alphabetical order) the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, the Firestone WeatherGrip, and the Michelin CrossClimate SUV. The Firestone and Michelin are both directional tires, for your situational awareness. Interestingly, though it's not rated with the 3PMSF symbol, the Continental CrossContact LX25 actually beat out the Michelin CrossClimate SUV in winter testing in a Tire Rack test.

I think I've read that Michelin will be replacing the CrossClimate SUV with the CrossClimate 2 in this size in the coming months, so you may want to wait for that if interested in this tire -- I presume the CrossClimate 2 is an improvement over the CrossClimate SUV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read a review of those somewhere, can remember where but the reviewer was not happy with their winter performance. Over here are some other options for all weather tires. Depending on your budget. I'm currently using the Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready on my Ascent and Hankook Kinergy 4s2 on my Impreza. Both of them are doing a great job in snow and slush. I know they are pricier than the Coopers but I've driven the Goodyears for 23k miles and they are on 9/32(new they are at 11/32). https://simpletire.com/vehicles/subaru-tires/ascent/2019?trim=touring&sort=bestMatch&category=13

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
We will be going with the Continental Crosscontact LX25 shortly on our limited. I ordered them from Cannon Subaru for $1042 installed.
Was looking at these too,Tire Rack seem to like them.They beat out the other 3 tires in the comparison in every category.Good 1st place runner up.Let us know how you like them.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,290 Posts
Yeah, I think the LX25s are my first choice as well. They seem to offer just about everything we want in a tire and for a fairly reasonable price for this size.

They also come with Continental's "Total Confidence Plan" which appears to come with three years of roadside assistance and one year of road hazard tire replacement, which seems like a pretty solid deal.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it matters to any of you, purchasing through the dealer gets the 24 month road hazard plan from Subaru, so good at any dealer nationwide. One of the reasons I ordered them there.
Yes they do,I’ve been offered the same plan you mentioned.The only thing are the choices they offered ,the Kuhmo Crugens & Yokohama Geolandars.In doing my research they’re not too popular. When I make my 42k maintenance appointment I will enquire about other brands.

Matter of fact yesterday morning I got 2 calls,a text,voicemail and a email from my dealer pertaining to my tires.If they care enough for my safety maybe they should install the tires for $0 😷

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes they do,I’ve been offered the same plan you mentioned.The only thing are the choices they offered ,the Kuhmo Crugens & Yokohama Geolandars.In doing my research they’re not too popular. When I make my 42k maintenance appointment I will enquire about other brands.

Matter of fact yesterday morning I got 2 calls,a text,voicemail and a email from my dealer pertaining to my tires.If they care enough for my safety maybe they should install the tires for $0 😷
Go to their service site, there is a tire store there where you can shop available tires.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,226 Posts
If it matters to any of you, purchasing through the dealer gets the 24 month road hazard plan from Subaru, so good at any dealer nationwide. One of the reasons I ordered them there.
Costco's road hazard is lifetime of the tire...I'm not saying you should buy there, but the combination of lifetime rotation/balancing along with road hazard is a very nice feature of buying from Costco if you are a member. The dealer tire price was within two or three dollars of Costco when I was buying last year but without the rotation/balancing for free thing.

Of course, you'd also need to choose from Michelin, Bridgestone or BF Goodrich for a Costco buy...those are the only brands they have an arrangement with.

Reactions: Ruben Marin

·
Registered
610 Posts
Costco's road hazard is lifetime of the tire...I'm not saying you should buy there, but the combination of lifetime rotation/balancing along with road hazard is a very nice feature of buying from Costco if you are a member. The dealer tire price was within two or three dollars of Costco when I was buying last year but without the rotation/balancing for free thing.

Of course, you'd also need to choose from Michelin, Bridgestone or BF Goodrich for a Costco buy...those are the only brands they have an arrangement with.
I wish there was a Costco near here, the closest one is over an hour away. I hear many good things about the stores and service.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We took advantage of the sale at Costco on Michelins. We've been buying tires from Costco for awhile. We were up for a state inspection at the end of this month and the last one rated our stock tires at a yellow and didn't pass the quarter test so we pulled the trigger on the Michelin CrossClimate 2. It sucks that the stock tires didn't last very long at all. I haven't driven the Ascent yet but my wife doesn't notice any difference in ride quality. Unfortunately, we won't be driving the Ascent until Friday at least, it's in for the springs being replaced (warranty), a stutter on the drivers side window, brake pads replaced (warranty) with refacing, leather seat TSB, and the AC recall. It did pass inspection though and we get to experience a 2021 Outback Limited as a loaner.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts