Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Limited has been “in the shop” for over 2 1/2 weeks waiting for a new transmission. Initially, they did a bunch of testing on it for Subaru, as the mechanic could reproduce the squeal easily and Subaru wanted a bunch of data from it. All well and fine, but using the MySubaru app, I could see the car hadn’t moved since Dec 05. That is, until I looked yesterday. lo and behold, I saw my Ascent had gone 7 miles at around noon on Monday, and was now parked at the other end of the building. I called my service advisor, expecting he would tell me that they worked on my car. Yay! But, no. In fact, he said no one has worked on it for a while. He couldn’t explain it. Seemed very fishy to me, so I set a boundary alert in the app, hoping it would show me if anyone was taking it for a drive. This morning at 7:20, my alert notifies me. I used the locator to see that my Ascent was traveling down the freeway. It went a total of 24 miles on its way back to the dealership. I was enraged! My guys don’t work until the afternoon. Who was fooling around in my beloved car at 7:30 in the morning?! Was some flunky picking up his girlfriend? Donut run? Well, I stopped in later and demanded to see the service manager and find out wth!
Turns out, the regional Subaru service rep/tech stopped by special to collect more data for corporate. I was actually getting more attention. Subaru is taking quite an interest in mine (although they may be doing that for others) along with the fact that a regional training center is very near my dealership. I allowed myself to get all wound up, simply because I had access to info on the app that I made an incorrect judgement on. Service management was very gracious to me. I guess I am very protective of my Ascent. Btw, they said my transmission is on a truck, on its way right now.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Rarely ever do dealers find owners actually interested in the details. Like 99.999% of the time. Most owners even get pissy if the service tech gets chatty and tries to talk shop with them.

So not a surprise really.

This is the same reason dealers find they can name any silly price or some official sounding service BS and people just pay crazy money without questioning or negotiating the service cost.
It’s very unique to Americans. Heck in America it’s the only place you’ll witness zero negotiating at farmers markets. Everywhere else in the world it’s actually insulting not to negotiate and/or they just assume your really stupid. LOL

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
How many parents do the same with their kids or other loved ones?? ?‍♂?
I almost called the police when my fiancée was at a craigslist guys house and didn’t answer her phone. He turned out to be a nice older gentleman who just wanted some company and she didn’t want to be rude checking her phone!

·
Registered
646 Posts
our kids are going to be so screwed :)
garage door sensors, video doorbells, geofence on phone and cars. Ain't gonna get away with anything!

·
Registered
978 Posts
our kids are going to be so screwed :)
garage door sensors, video doorbells, geofence on phone and cars. Ain't gonna get away with anything!
Except my daughter has been coding once week since Kindergarten. My dad is a HS teacher nearly 50yrs. Few yrs ago he caught a girl that wrote some pretty complex code to mirror his grading account access and had tweaked her grade points just enough to push it up a letter grade. He’s caught cheating many times over the years but this takes it to a whole new level. He and the IT guy tracked the access to the Year book teachers class computer, she was the only one with access to it.

When pulled into a meeting her parents had clearly coached her she admitted to the grade altering but denied she hacked/designed code to gain access to the system.

The district chickened out didn’t push for legal measures. The following yr my dad met with her teachers and they all maintained paper records of her grading. She went from a 4.0 student to a C+ student. Tracking her school history my dad figured she had been doing this for 4-5 yrs since middle school but had not been caught. Her Senior yr she moved out of state. My dad contacted her new school and met with the IT guy and Principal. They caught her trying to gain access to their grading system. She finished her HS career batting a C average!!

Kids in 15 yrs will simply be writing counter measure code to hide their behavior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.