Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up our new Ascent Limited in Crystal Black Silica this past Friday. Old Faithful (04 Volvo Xc70) was just too expensive to maintain and hubby wanted a family vehicle for us that was safe, reliable and would be paid for by the time he retires in 4 years. Having such an old car previously I am still getting used to all the buttons and doohickies and whatchamagigs...?...I just feel blessed to be able to roll up to the carpool line to pick up our sweet girl from school and not have to worry about the car cutting off!

Our babysitter has a Forester and greatly influenced our decision to use the local dealer here in PA. Experience was pretty straightforward as we took advantage of the VIP program through hubby's company.

Slightly irritated by what was a heavy sales-pitch for the extended warranty right at the close of the sale. Especially after inquiring about what we could expect maintenance-wise, longterm at the initial viewing a few months ago.

After speaking with several lifetime Subaru owners, we'll take the same route we did with the Volvo. Reach out to a Subaru Master Mechanic and ask for their opinion and approximate price range on major repairs outside of the manufacturer's warranty. I'll switch the name on our sinking-funds account from Old Faithful to New Subie and budget accordingly.

Since we have a small child, it would be helpful if anyone had suggestions/recommendations for positioning a forward-facing 5pt. harness carseat (Britax Advocate Clicktight) in the car? Any suggestions about carseat accessories too? Hubby ordered the seatback protectors for the driver and passenger sides, as well the seat protector for underneath the carseat. Hoping these will help maintain the leather.

We're looking forward to enjoying this car for at least the next 5 years. Praying we'll be able to do so comfortably as we drive 8-10 hours back home to North Carolina at least 3x a year and 5 hours to Virginia for our annual beach vacation.

Oh, and ours came with crossbars so that we can attach to our Thule Force XL cargo box. Anyone have any experience with these? Can you please tell us about install? Road noise? Scale?

Please and thank you!

The Davis Family

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
Welcome to the Subaru-verse.

I got the 8-seat version and latching the car seat was trivial in the middle row. Do you have the Captain's seats in the middle? I wonder if that makes things more complicated.

I was ready to go with protection (under and on the seat back in front) for the car seat. I quickly added more for the two boosters. I'd also be interesting in hearing additional suggestions for kid-proofing- at least temporarily.

One humorous tidbit- I was worried that the two older kids would fight over who has to ride in the third row. Turns out they fight over who GETS TO ride in the third row.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rain dog thanks so much for your reply! We do in fact have the 7-seater with captain's chairs (and 19 cupholders as our daughter likes to add!! ?) and I have her behind my seat (driver's) as she has the hassle of hopping out of her coat...putting it back on...backpack...lunchbox etc...Seems much easier for her to just slide over and open the door at Carpool.

Seatback protectors and seat cover arrived today but I'll wait to install tomorrow after drop-off.

Side note, did a fair amount of research last night and it seems my issue was that I was using both the top-tether AND the lower LATCH anchors; apparently a no-no as it compromises both the stability of the vehicle's seat and the ability for the carseat to perform as it should in the event of a crash.

Hubby wants this footrest for her too. Seems like a good idea for long road trips and of course we want her to be comfortable and rest well when she can. I personally just don't want to use this for every day. Seems tad cumbersome. Any experience with these/thoughts??

Check this out at Amazon.com
Kneeguard Kids Car Seat Foot Rest for Children and Babies. Footrest is Compatible with Toddler Booster Seats for Easy, Safe Travel. Great Travel Accessory for Easy Travel. (Latest Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXZX45V/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_eX.MCbBQ6FEW1

Love that your older kids fight over the 3rd row! I sat back there last night on a quick family outing. I'm average height for a woman at 5'5 and felt quite comfortable. Don't know how comfortable it would be on a journey of great length, but its nice to know we have the option of seating additional passengers when needed.

Would love any additional help/information!

Happy trails,

Devon Davis

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,

I've never thought about a foot rest. I don't think my kids have been missing it. Of course, everyone is different.

I'm kind of confused by your statement about the top tether. The job of the car seat is to attach the child as firmly as possible to the car to avoid relative motion. I latch both lower hooks and the top tether, and I've never had a problem doing so in three different cars. Where did you see advice to not use the top tether? That would be contrary to the car manual and the car seat instructions that I've seen.

Just to be clear- your talking about the top tether that's on the back of the captain's chair, right?

Best regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts