Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
The rain gutter gasket near the roof rail pops back into place. It may have to be pulled back a little and then popped back in. The gasket under the roof rail stanchions gets pushed back into place by taking down the headliner, loosening the bolts, re-seating the gasket, and putting everything back together again.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
The gasket under the roof rail stanchions gets pushed back into place by taking down the headliner, loosening the bolts, re-seating the gasket, and putting everything back together again.
Yes -- I suspect this is the work they were trying to avoid.

I'm not sure the risk of further damage / malfunction from all that work is worth it at this point. With dealer work, there's always a risk of unintended consquences (like the tech scratching your paint with his knife!) and, knowing how intrusive it'll be to do it right, I'm not sure I want them doing that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Boy, that would chap my hide; both the issue installing faulty pads and the hack job on the gasket. Ask for the service manager and if he's anything but apologetic and convinces you he'll make this right, then ask to speak to someone higher up. Look; these are not entry level cars. These vehicles cost a lot of money and they can either take my business seriously or they won't have my business.
Frankly, I wouldn't let them touch my car again because they got 2 strikes like that. But since they were coinciding, then I might give them the chance to correct this.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
Yes, I'm going to go make a visit at lunch tomorrow. I'll note my disappointment with the gasket issue, and what I expected would happen (do it right the first time), but I'm not going to press for the corrective work now. As noted, I don't want some angry/annoyed technician tearing into the headliner area just to fix this. I care more about them not introducing more problems on my wife's car than I do about making them correct it.

The brakes are different, though (although, ironically, far more critical to safety!). I've printed a copy of the TSB and will ask about the difference in the part number when I'm there tomorrow. If they balk, I'll just ask them to confirm that they're refusing to install the updated brake pad, the one that Subaru designed to fix the noise we had (and will have again). If it comes to that, I won't get ugly at the dealer, but I will give SoA a call and see what recommendation they have.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
I thought I'd take a look at the brake pads installed on the car before going back to the dealer to ask about the part number. I think they did install the correct pads, but perhaps just annotated the incorrect part number on the service ticket. The pads installed on the car clearly have the bevel/chamfer noted in the TSB. There is a part number visible on the outer pad on the passenger side, but it doesn't match any of the part numbers I've seen yet -- it's a 26296XC11F (it looks like an 11F -- it's definitely not a 00A, 00B, or 00C).

So I'll probably leave it alone at this point. I'm not wanting them to tear into the interior to fix the roof rail gaskets, and it looks like the wrong part number on the service ticket is just that -- the wrong number on the ticket. I think the updated pads are installed on the car.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
My bad -- the part number ends in "00*". And it's a 26226 number, not 26296. Weird. But here's a picture of the part number and the pad itself. I'm thinking the obvious chamfer is evidence of this being the most up-to-date pad?

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
A double chamfer (perpendicular chamfer on both sides, plus 35° (ish) inner edge chamfer) is indeed an indication of the new design, and is absolutely not the old design. If you see both chamfers (hard to tell from the pick), I'd ask if they want to update the ticket for (a) accuracy and (b) proper warranty reimbursement.

The part number is something odd... and I cannot find reference to it anywhere. Possibly a mis-stamping.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
It is hard to tell. It does appear to be a double chamfer on the new pad. After all consideration, I'm just going to write the service department an email letting them know of my concerns about the roof rail gasket and the brake pad part number (the ticket's 00A doesn't match the TSB's 00C) and let them make the next move. If the pad is the correct pad, then I'm good from a performance perspective (and they'll just need to work out warranty reimbursement with Subaru themselves). If the pad is not the correct pad, then I guess I'll be back in at some point in the future...either sooner if they want to replace them again now or later if the pads start squealing again. I'll start a different thread on that aspect of the service (I've alread hijacked this one enough!).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,042 Posts
When I dropped my Ascent off this morning for it's 24K mile "earl change", I mentioned that I was starting to get a little more squeal when braking recently than previously when it was only first thing on a cold morning. They actually did change the front pads to the new design per the TSB as I mentioned it. (got new wiper blades under warranty today, too)

Edit...the write up indicates they also turned the rotors. The tech did a test drive and did experience the slight noise and pulsation. I never noticed the latter, but I honestly don't use my brakes much. :) The fronts on the Grand Cherokee I drove previously were still passing inspection at 113K miles. :D The rears would have made it that far, too, but a rusted caliper bolt broke at 88K miles and, well...the rears got replace. (covered under the manufacturer extended service contract, too) Unfortunately, the write up doesn't indicate the wear level of the pads they replaced...that would have been nice to know.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
To follow up on my note above, I wrote an email to the service manager and she verified that I have the correct brakes installed (she went and retrieved our old pads and they were in the new pads box...with the 'C' part number). They also offered to replace the entire roof rail to fix the gasket issue, but I said I didn't think it was necessary for this case (I didn't want the intrusive work done). She verified that the gaskets under the stanchions are not to seal out water (there are separate sealing washers on the bolts), and they're likely just to deaden sound/noise/etc. So I'd rather not them tear into the interior of the car to replace the entire roof rail just to iron out (almost literally) these two small areas of gasket material.

I am due to bring it back to them next Thursday and they'll have their paint guy buff out the small scratches that were put into the paint during the first operation.

Braking with the new pads has been nice and quiet so far. (y)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
31,000 miles on my 2019 Ascent and I need new rotors and pads on the front. Talked to my local dealer who confirmed problems with the 2019 brake pads. He says the replacement pads have now been upgrade three times. The pads are covered under warranty, but they put on a second generation upgrade. If you want the third and best upgrade available from Subaru they are @ $140 per wheel and you have to pay for those out of pocket. Thats is what I elected to do. I love the car, but would love to see an upgraded rotor and pad combo for the 2019 Ascents
Today I had my vehicle at the dealer to explore the high oil level readings and when they called me they notified me of the brake pad TSB and said they would change them (no charge). Obviously I already knew of it from the forum but I have never had any brake problems (and they were wearing well) so I had never asked them to change them out. In the phone call it was the servie advisor who brought up the topic of brake pads and said they would change them. He was being proactive which I appreciated and of course they knew it was a warranty item within the TSB. I have not read the TSB so I am curious as to what symptoms were to be noted for SOA to cover it. This is not a recall so as in other TSBs they typically need to identify a problem. This is why I was so surprised they were initiating it proactively.

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
They way they worded the test drive symptoms on my service bill the other day was something akin to minor squealing when the brakes were applied and minor pulsation just before stopping. I was starting to experience the former (24K miles) but never noticed the latter. They cheerfully did the service including turning the rotors and enjoyed the payment from Subaru for doing the deed. I did mention the increasing noise when I checked it in for the "earl-change" and left a copy of the TSB on the passenger seat. :) :D

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
They way they worded the test drive symptoms on my service bill the other day was something akin to minor squealing when the brakes were applied and minor pulsation just before stopping. I was starting to experience the former (24K miles) but never noticed the latter. They cheerfully did the service including turning the rotors and enjoyed the payment from Subaru for doing the deed. I did mention the increasing noise when I checked it in for the "earl-change" and left a copy of the TSB on the passenger seat. :) :D
is turning the rotors part of the tsb?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
is turning the rotors part of the tsb?
The TSB recommends against resurfacing the rotors unless it's required due to a pulsation because it would then require a re-bedding of the pad material onto the new surface. The TSB recommends replacing the pads only if there are no pulsation issues. However, resurfacing the rotors is covered under warranty, and there's a separate warranty code in the TSB if that is required.

The TSB is available on NHTSA's website: MC-10179409-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
What ^^he said. Rotors only done if required. My dealer felt it was needed or that they needed the money. :D

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
She verified that the gaskets under the stanchions are not to seal out water (there are separate sealing washers on the bolts), and they're likely just to deaden sound/noise/etc.
Yep! As long as they're not causing whistling or other wind noise, you're fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
Have they heard of dial caliper?!?!? Lol
Actually, they clearly used one given they had before and after specifications on the work printout to three decimals. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
To follow up on my note above, I wrote an email to the service manager and she verified that I have the correct brakes installed (she went and retrieved our old pads and they were in the new pads box...with the 'C' part number). They also offered to replace the entire roof rail to fix the gasket issue, but I said I didn't think it was necessary for this case (I didn't want the intrusive work done). She verified that the gaskets under the stanchions are not to seal out water (there are separate sealing washers on the bolts), and they're likely just to deaden sound/noise/etc. So I'd rather not them tear into the interior of the car to replace the entire roof rail just to iron out (almost literally) these two small areas of gasket material.

I am due to bring it back to them next Thursday and they'll have their paint guy buff out the small scratches that were put into the paint during the first operation.

Braking with the new pads has been nice and quiet so far. (y)
How have the pads been holding up? I have a 2021 that has started to give me quite a bit of brake squeal. Not only that, but on a past trip over some mountains, I had some awful pulsing/shuddering (whatever you want to call it) whenever applying any sort of brake pressure, especially from 50mph+ or on any sort of decline. I was wondering if maybe my car happened to get an older version of the pads, but it appears it came from the factory with the exact part number that you got; 26226XC00.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
How have the pads been holding up?
They're giving some light squeal again. It's rather intermittent. Of course, it doesn't happen when it's at the dealer. I took a ride with a tech to demonstrate the hood flutter (we have the problem where the hood skin is not bonded to the structure correctly) and I could not get the brakes to make any noises during that drive. But they're somewhat noisy intermittently when the tech is not in the car!

I don't know what I'm going to do about it yet. I really wish someone like Raybestos or Centric or Akebono would come out with a replacement pad for this application. So far, only Power Stop has pads that fit and I haven't had any experience with them.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts