Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
31,000 miles on my 2019 Ascent and I need new rotors and pads on the front. Talked to my local dealer who confirmed problems with the 2019 brake pads. He says the replacement pads have now been upgrade three times. The pads are covered under warranty, but they put on a second generation upgrade. If you want the third and best upgrade available from Subaru they are @ $140 per wheel and you have to pay for those out of pocket. Thats is what I elected to do. I love the car, but would love to see an upgraded rotor and pad combo for the 2019 Ascents

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,292 Posts
31,000 miles on my 2019 Ascent and I need new rotors and pads on the front. Talked to my local dealer who confirmed problems with the 2019 brake pads. He says the replacement pads have now been upgrade three times. The pads are covered under warranty, but they put on a second generation upgrade. If you want the third and best upgrade available from Subaru they are @ $140 per wheel and you have to pay for those out of pocket. Thats is what I elected to do. I love the car, but would love to see an upgraded rotor and pad combo for the 2019 Ascents
Dennis, can you please share the part numbers of the third generation parts you purchased out of pocket? I'm about to make an appointment for our 2020 Ascent due to brake noise.

It is strange that Subaru will cover replacement using the second generation parts but make you pay out of pocket for the third generation!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
the rotors should be covered under warranty

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
The pads should have been covered under the 3/36 OEM warranty period and with the most current parts...you need to speak with SOA about this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like you were sold some bullshit... Warranty is warranty. There is ONE pad part number for ALL Ascents now, all previous have been recalled to be returned to the manufacturer.
26296XC00A and 26296XC00B are no longer and 26296XC00C is the only one offered/in production. What part numbers are on the invoice???

·
Registered
83 Posts
In today's world, $140/wheel is actually not that bad. I had to have brakes done on a Volvo and it was $700 for the rears (they use a rear bias and they wear at a 2:1 rate compared to the front). You have no choice but to go to the dealer as it takes a $10,000 computer to unlock the electronic brake system and you can't remove the pads without it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Both front rotors and 3rd gen pads were swapped out on my 2020 Ascent at 16,000 miles due to noise. Service department said the rotors were warped beyond turning and the pads were wearing unevenly. No charge, all covered under warranty. I posted a thread here somplace about it. If I find it, I will link to it.

·
Super Moderator
4,231 Posts

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Woah, what?!?!?! 😡😡😡😡😡😡

Please call Subaru of America and let them know that the dealership charged you for the current part and used the threat of installing a superceded part to make you pay for something covered under warranty.

Please message me the dealership name.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Woah, what?!?!?! 😡😡😡😡😡😡

Please call Subaru of America and let them know that the dealership charged you for the current part and used the threat of installing a superceded part to make you pay for something covered under warranty.

Please message me the dealership name.
I can not figure out what motivation the dealership would have since it is covered under warranty? It doesn't come out of their pocket.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,292 Posts
I can not figure out what motivation the dealership would have since it is covered under warranty? It doesn't come out of their pocket.
In theory, the dealership will get paid either way, but I suspect labor rates are higher for customer pay jobs vs. warranty jobs. I reckon the dealer can also collect a profit on the parts on customer pay jobs whereas they probably don't get to do this with warranty work. I don't know this for sure...but I suspect there is a financial benefit if they can invoice the customer vs. invoicing Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
4,231 Posts
And I suspect that they are submitting it to SOA for warranty reimbursement as well as charging the customer for what is likely their parts cost...IE, double dipping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In theory, the dealership will get paid either way, but I suspect labor rates are higher for customer pay jobs vs. warranty jobs. I reckon the dealer can also collect a profit on the parts on customer pay jobs whereas they probably don't get to do this with warranty work. I don't know this for sure...but I suspect there is a financial benefit if they can invoice the customer vs. invoicing Subaru.
More labour and parts profit for customer pay vs. warranty pay (Parts are cost +30% for warranty).

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Seriously, I reiterate. Report it, and get me their name, the name of the service coordinator, and the name of the technician. I'm utterly livid hearing this, and I plan on making sure that this is made right, and they're looked into.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,292 Posts
I just had pads installed at our dealer and...they...installed the 26296XC00A part??? Yep, it appears they just installed new parts of the "A" part? I would assume Subaru would have taken the old "A" parts out of circulation, but that's what our invoice says...weird.

Maybe we'll be back in another 8,000 miles for more squealing! :cool:

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I'd let them know that using the same (superseded TWICE) pads that caused the problem will not solve the problem, as is indicated by the TSB.

I just had pads installed at our dealer and...they...installed the 26296XC00A part??? Yep, it appears they just installed new parts of the "A" part? I would assume Subaru would have taken the old "A" parts out of circulation, but that's what our invoice says...weird.

Maybe we'll be back in another 8,000 miles for more squealing! :cool:

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,292 Posts
I need to bring the car back to them tomorrow. We had a small amount of gasket material sticking out from the passenger side roof rail. I asked them to adjust that so the gasket is seated correctly. They just cut it off with an exatco knife and left some tool marks on the paint and the roof rail near the gasket...and you can still see the gasket where they cut it off. I'm going to carry the car back tomorrow and show that to them and print off the TSB and bring that also.

The roof rail thing isn't the end of the world. Nor is installing the wrong pad set. It's just unprofessional.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts