Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks great. How does it attach to the roof rail? I am considering one on my camping trailer, but the attachment points would be more like Yakima crossbars, latitudinally mounted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I jerry-rigged it. It came with an L bracket, U bolts and 2 sizes of bolts.

Some requirements and complications. The U bolts were not wide enough. They were really for round bars. I didnt want to drill into the crossbars which was one solution. I like the L bracket because it made it near flush and were long enough to manipulate. The Yakima slim shady brackets could be used but it sat too high and some reviews said they were weak and enough force could break it. So I bought some Thule ubolts made for the cargo baskets. I picked these because of the simple knob function and width and height. Found some flush machine screws n nuts to connect the L bracket to the thule bolts. Cut up some mouse pad to act as cushioning and grip to the crossbars. Voila, all connected and tightened down. I'll eventually get better crossbars when I buy a pop up tent. But this works for the time being. Long winded story but it took me days looking for an evasive solution. And this might help someone.

So I picked the Smittybilt because of its name, quality and right size. It just recently came out and Amazon had a 30% sale on it. Yet to test but looks good thus far. The only awning that was cheaper was the Yescom from Amazon. I could've DIY one but I needed something quick and id probably spend nearly the same and just save $40, not as good and lots of time spent building one. There's the rationale. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also looking into awnings. What made you choose smittybilt over ARB or 23zero or tepui?
I think all the brands in general will be fine. For my needs, price was the biggest factor (because I can buy 2 to 2.5 awnings based upon the price of others) then mounting, size, weight, and reviews. I was looking for a simple awning with some UV protection though the batwings look cool that was too much awning for my needs.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
41 Posts
I test mounted my Subaru Skybox and Yakima Slim Shady using the Subaru Aero Bars. I had this same set up on my 2011 Outback. Because of the design of the Ascent cross bars you lose about 2 1/2” on each side of the crossbar versus the swing in place style cross bar on the Outback. On the plus side I found the Subaru aero bars robust enough for my rig. On the pictures I only have one of the Yakima aero clamps connected to the cross bar. That’s the reason the awning is sitting at an angle on the rack. I also found the wheel step to be high enough and stiff enough for loading the skybox. Now if only the National Park campgrounds will open.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
I also found the wheel step to be high enough and stiff enough for loading the skybox.
That wheel step is a good idea. The roof is high on this thing! I usually end up standing on the back tire itself 😂
Be careful where you brace your knee on there though. It doesn’t take much to leave a dent in the body panels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have one of these in my garage that I’ve been thinking of installing in the ascent . How noisy is it while driving if you don’t mind me asking ?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I jerry-rigged it. It came with an L bracket, U bolts and 2 sizes of bolts.

Some requirements and complications. The U bolts were not wide enough. They were really for round bars. I didnt want to drill into the crossbars which was one solution. I like the L bracket because it made it near flush and were long enough to manipulate. The Yakima slim shady brackets could be used but it sat too high and some reviews said they were weak and enough force could break it. So I bought some Thule ubolts made for the cargo baskets. I picked these because of the simple knob function and width and height. Found some flush machine screws n nuts to connect the L bracket to the thule bolts. Cut up some mouse pad to act as cushioning and grip to the crossbars. Voila, all connected and tightened down. I'll eventually get better crossbars when I buy a pop up tent. But this works for the time being. Long winded story but it took me days looking for an evasive solution. And this might help someone.

So I picked the Smittybilt because of its name, quality and right size. It just recently came out and Amazon had a 30% sale on it. Yet to test but looks good thus far. The only awning that was cheaper was the Yescom from Amazon. I could've DIY one but I needed something quick and id probably spend nearly the same and just save $40, not as good and lots of time spent building one. There's the rationale. Hope this helps.
Genius..pure genius! THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
41 Posts
I have one of these in my garage that I’ve been thinking of installing in the ascent . How noisy is it while driving if you don’t mind me asking ?
We didn’t notice a lot of wind noise with the skybox on but it did knock 3 mpg off the average. With the skybox and awning we get about 22 mpg with the slim shady alone 25 if I’m careful with the acceleration

·
Registered
52 Posts
Installed it . Now to see how loud it is and how it affects my MPG.

Yes my son had just fallen down - what his face shows is the pain prior to the scream 😂

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Very nice! I am definitely interested in hearing how it impacts gas mileage. My next cross country trip is in May, so, I am gearing up over the next few months. This trip will have a lot of overlanding in it, in the deserts, so, an awning would help.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
41 Posts
The awning has become an indispensable part of our camping kit. My traveling experience with the awning is that the impact to mileage and air noise is negligible. It is all the other stuff I put on the roof like the sky box or camping gear in the open rack that create the noise and drag. For us the wind noise with the stuff on the roof and the sunroof open is annoying. With the car closed up the noise isn’t a real issue. Drag on the other hand is noticeable from an mpg standpoint. West Texas has an 85 mph speed limit. At 85+ the Ascent drives well, has a comfortable ride and is reasonably quiet. However fuel consumption with the rack loaded is around 17 to 20 mpg. At 65 mph it is more in the 23 to 25 mpg range

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’ve taken a bit from my roof basket and spare on the roof . Once I get some Miles in I’ll report my findings . Coming to work this morning I noticed no additional noise from the awning

1 - 20 of 23 Posts