Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I’ve narrowed down what I’m going to do to our Ascent. Gonna install the 18” Rotiform SPF in matte black with 18” KO2s. Other tires Im considering are the Nitto Ridge or Terra G2 grapplers. I don’t know much about Nitto but have heard nothing but good things about KO2s from the people I know that have them. Anyone have experience with Nitto good or bad?

Specs:
Rotiform SPF 18”, 5-114.30 w/ +35 offset

Tire size is gonna be 255/55/18

Silver is on the same rim w/ ridge grappler to see what it’s gonna be like (this is on an Ascent that was lifted)

Talked with discount tire and no matter what tire I go with, I won’t need it lifted and it won’t rub. With the rims I want.

Also gonna go matte black on all the exterior chrome trim and do a smoke overlay on the rear tail lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had both 35 and 37 inch Nitto trail grapplers and loved them but obviously they were extremely heavy. The smaller size will help with weight but the Nittos were great. I know a few people that ran KO2s as well and they were also happy. Maybe someone who used those in that size could comment on the road noise. The grapplers I had were not too loud but they made some noise. They were a little more quiet than the KO2s imo.

Good luck!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Talked with discount tire and no matter what tire I go with, I won’t need it lifted and it won’t rub. With the rims I want.
I would be interested to see this tire size on a non-lifted Ascent. I didn't want to be the first to try. Keep in mind that the tire is a half inch smaller in diameter from stock sizes.

Again, to each their own, with respect to amount of off-roading they plan to do with their vehicles. For my needs, which was not as often off-road, I went with the Continental TerrainContacts which can be had in the stock 18" size. Again, not as aggressive as the KO2s, but much better on-pavement behavior:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...101-new-18-wheels-test-fitting.html#post72009

*Not that it should freak you out that much but the load rating on those Rotiforms are 1600lbs. Which is right at the GAWR. Some prefer to have something a bit more rated for the loads.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be interested to see this tire size on a non-lifted Ascent. I didn't want to be the first to try. Keep in mind that the tire is a half inch smaller in diameter from stock sizes.

Again, to each their own, with respect to amount of off-roading they plan to do with their vehicles. For my needs, which was not as often off-road, I went with the Continental TerrainContacts which can be had in the stock 18" size. Again, not as aggressive as the KO2s, but much better on-pavement behavior:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...101-new-18-wheels-test-fitting.html#post72009

*Not that it should freak you out that much but the load rating on those Rotiforms are 1600lbs. Which is right at the GAWR. Some prefer to have something a bit more rated for the loads.
I like the more aggressive look plus living in the NW and going to the mountain I want a reliable tire. I have a limited so I’m removing the the 20” rims for the 18”. I wasn’t that worried about the GAWR as I’ve seen those exact rims on some lifted ascents that are 18”. So I wasn’t to concerned. But I will bring it up to them to double check for sure!! Cause I plan on towing a lightweight travel trailer. Thanks for the info!! More information the better I say to make a decision easier!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I like the more aggressive look plus living in the NW and going to the mountain I want a reliable tire. I have a limited so I’m removing the the 20” rims for the 18”. I wasn’t that worried about the GAWR as I’ve seen those exact rims on some lifted ascents that are 18”. So I wasn’t to concerned. But I will bring it up to them to double check for sure!! Cause I plan on towing a lightweight travel trailer. Thanks for the info!! More information the better I say to make a decision easier!!
NW here, too. Removed the 20s for the 18s as well, although the 20s are currently back on with Blizzak rubber for the ski season. Good luck with your wheel/tire purchase, and then it will be on to the next mod....

·
Registered
14 Posts
We're downsizing our Touring 20" wheels to 18" Sparco Terra's and 235/60R18 Yokohoma Geolander AT G015's. We live 4 miles off road, so the stock tires wouldn't last 6 months, plus the 20" wheel with smaller tire height makes for a much rougher ride. Will post pics upon install!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Warning - check load rating

We're downsizing our Touring 20" wheels to 18" Sparco Terra's and 235/60R18 Yokohoma Geolander AT G015's. We live 4 miles off road, so the stock tires wouldn't last 6 months, plus the 20" wheel with smaller tire height makes for a much rougher ride. Will post pics upon install!
I would absolutely call or email OZ Racing and ask them the load rating on those rims. The other very similar Sparco rims I was looking at (Sparco Drift Bronze) were nowhere near sufficiently load rated. They should be 1,800 pounds or more per rim. The Drifts were a few hundred pounds below that per rim.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Definitely one of my top choices in wheels. Would love to see some pics when done

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Do NOT use those rims on an Ascent

I would absolutely call or email OZ Racing and ask them the load rating on those rims. The other very similar Sparco rims I was looking at (Sparco Drift Bronze) were nowhere near sufficiently load rated. They should be 1,800 pounds or more per rim. The Drifts were a few hundred pounds below that per rim.
The Sparco Terra 18x8 rims are not rated high enough for the Ascent. They are load rated at 1,595 pounds (should be at least 1,800 pounds each). Many of the Sparco rims are not rated for cars as heavy as the Ascent.

The MSW Type 77 18x8 +45mm offset have a max load of 1,925 lbs.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...odel=Ascent&autoYear=2019&autoModClar=Limited

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.