Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago our PCV valve failed and my 2019 Ascent broke down on the highway. I was not able to get the PCV replaced earlier due to dealer being unable to source parts on prior service visits. The dealer removed the engine and located the 4 pcv parts in the oil pan and reinstalled the engine. They also replaced both the front and back Catalytic convertors. They returned the car and after looking under the hood I noticed there was almost no coolant, and the car was full of Ants in both the cabin and engine. So it went back to the dealer who kept it another week. They test drove it multiple times and claim everything is fine and that they just forgot to fill the coolant up after they put the engine back in. Now when I drive it the shifter feels pretty rough compared to before. There is often a loud humming sound and sometimes when shifting from P to R there is a large jolt and cracking sound. We do use the parking brake so it is not that. The dealer is saying that the sound is normal, but both my wife and I never had that problem before or on any other Subaru. All in we have not had our Ascent for almost a month now and are getting very frustrated. Has anyone else had problems that started after having their engine pulled out for the PCV valve? Our Ascent is still at the dealer now just parked in their lot until they have time to look at it.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
3 weeks ago our PCV valve failed and my 2019 Ascent broke down on the highway. I was not able to get the PCV replaced earlier due to dealer being unable to source parts on prior service visits. The dealer removed the engine and located the 4 pcv parts in the oil pan and reinstalled the engine. They also replaced both the front and back Catalytic convertors. They returned the car and after looking under the hood I noticed there was almost no coolant, and the car was full of Ants in both the cabin and engine. So it went back to the dealer who kept it another week. They test drove it multiple times and claim everything is fine and that they just forgot to fill the coolant up after they put the engine back in. Now when I drive it the shifter feels pretty rough compared to before. There is often a loud humming sound and sometimes when shifting from P to R there is a large jolt and cracking sound. We do use the parking brake so it is not that. The dealer is saying that the sound is normal, but both my wife and I never had that problem before or on any other Subaru. All in we have not had our Ascent for almost a month now and are getting very frustrated. Has anyone else had problems that started after having their engine pulled out for the PCV valve? Our Ascent is still at the dealer now just parked in their lot until they have time to look at it.
contact Subaru of America so they can monitor the repairs. consider using a different dealership for repairs. Not filling a coolant back up is a pretty big deal.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have been in touch with SOA and they are aware of the problems. I wish I could use another dealer, but we only have 1 in our area with the next dealer 2.5 hours away.
I would require a loaner Ascent and ask SOA to confirm repairs are complete and proper to your vehicle prior to receiving the vehicle back. Put SOA directly on the line of responsibility. You do not want to get your vehicle back with partial repairs or inadequate repairs. I would also make sure ultimately this is backed up in writing (email). Keep accurate records of dates, promises and who said what when. The results of any repairs etc. You must document everything good, bad and ugly with details. Make certain that their write up of your concerns are accurate to what you state. Make sure the service manager is personally going to check that your vehicle is repaired properly. Heck, if they can not fix your vehicle have SOA tow it to the next dealer to get it done properly.

Next time you go to pick it up complete a test drive with the service rep in the vehicle before you leave the dealership completely. You have a right to get it repaired fully and properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All great tips. I asked the dealer for an Ascent loaner, but they do not have any in service and only offer Outbacks claiming they are just a "small shop". I told that to SOA and they offered $50 a day to rent a car, but that is not enough to cover a full size SUV. Due to high Covid-19 in our area we have had the service manager drop off the car at our home and then we leave it for a few days before using. So we can't drive before it leaves the dealer. That is why it has now been back 3 times now. I have extensive emails, text records, service records, and videos of everything. I asked SOA to replace the car with a new one, but they declined because I don't qualify for TX lemon law as we have over 24k miles. They offered a small sum to keep, or as trade assistance and they had the sales manager call me from the dealer doing the service work to work out a deal. The sales manager then told me that the trade in value of my Ascent was going to be lower because of all the work they did to it due to the recall. I will ask SOA if they can have a company tech inspect the car to ensure all work has been done correctly. If the recall work lowered the resale value I think Subaru should pay for that.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
he sales manager then told me that the trade in value of my Ascent was going to be lower because of all the work they did to it due to the recall. I will ask SOA if they can have a company tech inspect the car to ensure all work has been done correctly. If the recall work lowered the resale value I think Subaru should pay for that.
That right there smells like something that's lying about in the hot sun "out in the field", if you catch my drift...

Reactions: justmatt

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
All great tips. I asked the dealer for an Ascent loaner, but they do not have any in service and only offer Outbacks claiming they are just a "small shop". I told that to SOA and they offered $50 a day to rent a car, but that is not enough to cover a full size SUV. Due to high Covid-19 in our area we have had the service manager drop off the car at our home and then we leave it for a few days before using. So we can't drive before it leaves the dealer. That is why it has now been back 3 times now. I have extensive emails, text records, service records, and videos of everything. I asked SOA to replace the car with a new one, but they declined because I don't qualify for TX lemon law as we have over 24k miles. They offered a small sum to keep, or as trade assistance and they had the sales manager call me from the dealer doing the service work to work out a deal. The sales manager then told me that the trade in value of my Ascent was going to be lower because of all the work they did to it due to the recall. I will ask SOA if they can have a company tech inspect the car to ensure all work has been done correctly. If the recall work lowered the resale value I think Subaru should pay for that.
that is an interesting catch-22 Subaru created. The value they are willing to compensate you is lower due to the recalls on the defective product they produced. Nice work if you can get it, but it doesn't fly in a courtroom. I would play hardball on the value if that is the route you prefer. Can't they just fix the darn vehicle and provide the most robust extended warranty offered for free? See if the next closest dealer has an Ascent and go and pick it up or have an employee drive it to your home until this is all worked out. This should be their problem not yours to fix. I have very little tolerance for any company that makes the customer work to fix a problem that is the company's doing. I undersatnd things happen in this imperfect world, particularly with high tech vehicles. the fact is when they happen the company needs to step up fully to make it right. What are they saying is the cause of the other issues that have popped up? They do deserve the right to fix it.

An alternative for getting a Ascent loaner is to have SOA pay your monthly payment on the Ascent for two months (assuming you financed it). I was successful with that last year as were others. I showed them my payment amount and they mailed me a check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with my 2014 Subaru Forester that was just barely passing the oil consumption test. They told me it didn't fail the test so it was good, then when I decided to trade it before the warranty expired they tried to low ball me on the trade-in value due to the oil consumption test results. I called them out right then and there. You can't have it both ways. Either it is a problem or it isn't. They still refused to repair my Forester because it didn't outright fail the consumption test, but eventually, I got them to come up on the trade-in value. In order to get there, however, I had to involve SOA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
But did you have over 24k miles OF USE before you took it in for the PCV complaint. For example, if you bought the Ascent with 500mi on the OD, then you would need more than 24,500 on the OD on the day your vehicle broke down for the PVC as that was the triggering event. Also, it only costs you $35 to file a Lemon Law complaint with the Texas DPS so it is well worth filing a claim and let them decide to accept or deny the claim. TxDMV.GOV - Lemon Law

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
They pulled the engine? What CVT fluid did they put back into the car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The service manager told me they did not touch the fluids for the cvt when they pulled out the engine to look for the pcv parts which they found in the oil pan. Does that sound right?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
The service manager told me they did not touch the fluids for the cvt when they pulled out the engine to look for the pcv parts which they found in the oil pan. Does that sound right?
If they disconnected the engine from the CVT, yes. Most shops I know drop the whole drivetrain as one unit, since that's easier... but some do it that way (disconnect and pull the engine separately).

The CVT does hum. That's normal. If you aren't waiting for the parking brake to fully engage before taking your foot off the brake pedal, you will get a jolt and difficult to move shifter when you shift out of Park.

This Subaru (the Ascent) doesn't have the same CVT as most other Subarus. The Outback/Legacy 2.5i, Forester NA, Crosstrek, Impreza all have a different CVT than the Ascent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I parked the car around a 1000 times and never had the hard shift and jolt before. It only started after the repair to the pcv. If happens with or without the parking brake applied before putting into park.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I parked the car around a 1000 times and never had the hard shift and jolt before. It only started after the repair to the pcv. If happens with or without the parking brake applied before putting into park.
Can you safely record it? Is it an actual jolt, or the shifter clunking?

Do you have a copy of the service order?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is an actual jolt. The entire car jerks. Yes I do have videos from the inside, but I will make one from the outside to capture the jolt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What should the service department be checking when looking at the jolt/transmission issue? When I broke down and lost almost all power on the highway there was a ton of heat/smoke and the Ascent had to crawl along to get off to the side across 4 lanes of traffic. The SOA tow truck driver also tried to drive it up on the flatbed and was unable to. Is it possible all that heat or the process of removing and then replacing the engine the transmission got damaged, or perhaps the CVT fluid went bad? When I first brought this up with the service manager the first thing he told me he was not going to pul the engine out again. I never asked him to do that or mentioned that. I just told him about the issues as well as SOA who told me to send it back to service.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
What should the service department be checking when looking at the jolt/transmission issue? When I broke down and lost almost all power on the highway there was a ton of heat/smoke and the Ascent had to crawl along to get off to the side across 4 lanes of traffic. The SOA tow truck driver also tried to drive it up on the flatbed and was unable to. Is it possible all that heat or the process of removing and then replacing the engine the transmission got damaged, or perhaps the CVT fluid went bad? When I first brought this up with the service manager the first thing he told me he was not going to pul the engine out again. I never asked him to do that or mentioned that. I just told him about the issues as well as SOA who told me to send it back to service.
The CVT is separate from the engine (two separate units bolted together, connected via a torque converter). A PCV valve failure should have no affect on the CVT. Removing the engine is unlikely to cause damage to the CVT. Best wait and see what they find - something like this hasn't, to my knowledge, happened before. Without service records, video of the occurrences, etc, I'd be wildly speculating what may cause it, which I'd rather not do. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got my Ascent back today after having in the shop for a week pretty much just parked off to the side except. Turns out all they did was a quick drive to see if they could replicate the issue and a visual check to look for leaks. They did not check the CVT fluid level or inspect the fluid itself. If you are having issues with the CVT should they not be checking the fluid?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.