Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Ascent Limited owner here with a few q's for the veterans!

1. when can I expect the Collision Avoidance to show some sign of life? I have avoided braking till pretty close to a stopped or slowing car but have not seen any warning of obstacle or felt braking action. I'd say I was about 3 car lengths away before I gave up and applied normal braking. And yes it's on.

2. with the lift gate open I can still get another couple inches of upward movement. I set the memory with it all the way up and it still opens to it's prior height. I'm guessing it will not open to the hydraulic arms full movement for some reason. It's not bad but I'd like those couple inches without having to push it up manually.

3. when using Car Play is there any way to have the display show the music channel that is selected or being selected like you see on the Subaru nav screen.

4. the manual shows a number of icons that are avl for display in the favorites section on the lcd above the radio in the center of the dash (not the drivers info screen). Yet when I go into the settings for that screen there are only 3 choices. I was hoping to add the oil temp.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
1. Make sure there was nothing applied to the windshield as far as rainX, permaplate or the like. I had issues with an aftermarket application applied by the dealer. Took 5 months for it to wear off and Collision Avoidance working correctly

2. I have same issue. No matter how many times I try to set the memory to full extend.

3. I am not old enough for Apple products, sorry :grin:

4. Don't know off the top of my head.

·
Registered
682 Posts
1. when can I expect the Collision Avoidance to show some sign of life? I have avoided braking till pretty close to a stopped or slowing car but have not seen any warning of obstacle or felt braking action. I'd say I was about 3 car lengths away before I gave up and applied normal braking. And yes it's on.
You can rig a cardboard box test, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

The risk of damaging something up front that can cost you hundreds of dollars to fix (headlamp module, trim pieces, etc.) really makes this kind of testing that's only suitable to those who either have a lot of hobby-value invested or can otherwise stomach the potential costs involved. :smile_big:

The problem with trying this kind of test is that there's literally a gazillion little things that can go wrong that can cause you to tap a bumper (or worse). Maybe your vehicle suffers that one-in-a-million-odds electrical glitch just then. Maybe unforseen road surface imperfections decreases your tire's available traction just a tad more than expected. Maybe there's glare from some surrounding building/vehicle that bounces just right and causes EyeSight to glitch.... Surf these Forums and other Subaru Forums, and you'll see the occasional tale of even a dealership EyeSight demo go wrong, with the vehicle charging into the airbag obstacle setup.

There's a lot of things that go into EyeSight's calculations (from the manual, we know that even the preceding vehicle's rear illumination can cause variance).

If at the end of your test you're not within just a few feet or even inches of the obstacle - and this is while the vehicle's at 100% braking capacity - then you haven't replicated an event that's "intense" enough to trigger pre-collision. I mean, your dog's gotta look like this:

In the real world, if you can find a manhole vent - or if you simply drive in colder areas where surrounding traffic (especially of preceding vehicles) produces a lot of dense exhaust vapor - you can trigger the collision avoidance program simply when attempting to start from a dead-stop. Heading out for the morning rush-hour commute and staying on heavily trafficked secondary/surface streets may give you the chance to experience this first-hand. Similarly, aggressive enough drivers will routinely activate the Pre-Collision Braking system's "First Braking and Warning."

Just drive like the system is not there. It's not worth testing out. Remember that it's just an aid - it's not designed to be that "Lvl 5 Personal Protection Dog" that promises "Eternal Vigilance" in the trainer's brochure. ;)

4. the manual shows a number of icons that are avl for display in the favorites section on the lcd above the radio in the center of the dash (not the drivers info screen). Yet when I go into the settings for that screen there are only 3 choices. I was hoping to add the oil temp.

Page 209 and 216 in the Owners Manual - https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1900D_STIS.pdf

:)

·
Registered
260 Posts
With CarPlay, what do you mean by music channel? If you mean accessing the CarPlay screen, and see what music is playing, navigation, etc. — you can press the physical home button and then press the CarPlay button on the screen.

Also, regarding iPhone being for older people, that just isn’t the case — teenagers really like the device as well. https://www.cnet.com/news/more-than-80-percent-of-teens-own-iphone-survey-says/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.