Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say Hi before I start posting around the forum. I picked up a leftover 2019 Ascent Premium in Crystal White Pearl. 7-passenger with the convenience package. I'm coming from a 2011 Odyssey that was unexpectedly totaled out. I tow a large pop-up camper and the Odyssey was rated for it and would do it but it was really pushing the limits. I'd planned to get a heavier-duty vehicle in a couple years, but, well, here I am!

I miss the extra space and cargo room of the Odyssey but the Ascent feels very roomy for how big it is. I'll be adding cross bars and a roof box for road trips and the trailer hitch of course. There are six in my family, four young kids in booster seats.

I didn't want to deal with the cost or size of a full size SUV (Suburban, Expedition, Sequoia) so checked out all the possibilities in the mid-size line (Explorer, Pilot, Highlander, Traverse) and narrowed down to the Ascent and Pilot. The Pilot doesn't have 2nd row captains chairs available unless you get the Touring or Elite trims though. That made up my mind as the kiddos will be in and out of the 3rd row every day and dealing with a 2nd row bench seat is too difficult for them. That's despite negotiating the price of a similarly equipped Pilot to $2k less than the Ascent! Traverse and Explorer were unimpressive. Highlander was okay except for the awful 3rd row access and seat to floor height that puts your knees into your chest.

I was a little wary of the small turbo engine and its ability to tow. But since it makes torque in low rpms I'll give it a shot. I do most of my own maintenance and really liked the engine arrangement with alternator and top-side oil filter right up front. I replaced an alternator on my Ford Escape and it makes me never want a transverse mounted engine again!

Anyway. Hi! This seems like a good community so far. I'm looking forward to contributing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts