Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a White Limited 7 Seater, the dealer is offering a "Dupont Protection". It includes (3) items, Clay-bar for exterior, Window Tint & scotchgard for interior. Comes with 7 year warranty with a cost of $750, is this worth it?

I should add my wife doesnt clean her vehicle's very regularly and we have 3 young kids.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does this include any wax or paint sealant for the exterior? A clay bar will just remove contaminants from the paint but it provides no paint protection; it just prepares the surface for wax, paint sealant, etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It was just painted and built weeks ago, I doubt it needs to have any clay bar treatment. Like TimS7559 said, the clay bar only removes contaminants, it isn't paint protection! Plus, the horizontal surfaces like the hood were covered with plastic shrink-wrap prior to arriving at dealer to prevent contaminants from getting on it during transit. Secondly, you can buy a can of Scotchgard and spray that on your interior fabric yourself for $5 or so...do it once or twice a year and you save lots of money. Lastly, I just had all my side and back windows tinted with ceramic tint and it costs me $350 (not from the dealer, I researched/googled). I would skip this "protection" from the dealer and get the tint done elsewhere. Google some window tinting places near you and find the one with good reviews and fair prices.

Reactions: Nevada Brian

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just purchased a White Limited 7 Seater, the dealer is offering a "Dupont Protection". It includes (3) items, Clay-bar for exterior, Window Tint & scotchgard for interior. Comes with 7 year warranty with a cost of $750, is this worth it?

I should add my wife doesnt clean her vehicle's very regularly and we have 3 young kids.
If you plan on the car getting beat up, I feel that it's worth it for the warranty. We don't sell the DuPont product, but another competitor, and the warranty is very near to "no questions asked" with them. lady left fruit in her trunk that ruined the carpet (turned from black to pink/purple) and it was replaced by the warranty. Would have normally cost near what she paid for the protection package. YMMV, since you may not be motivated to take the car down to have everything fixed, but the trick here is to know exactly what is covered, how, and get every single thing fixed. If you plan on taking very good care of the interior then I would skip it, spend the $750 on new car care stuff and DIY.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does this include any wax or paint sealant for the exterior? A clay bar will just remove contaminants from the paint but it provides no paint protection; it just prepares the surface for wax, paint sealant, etc.
Got a little more information. They claybar the vehicle and then apply a ceramic coating.

·
Registered
235 Posts
A ceramic coating is only as good as the product and the person's skill level in applying it. The warranty here might also be a key in determining if it is worth it. See if you can get a copy of the warranty so you can see what it's good for. Some things to think about: does it require you to bring the car in for inspections annually to make sure the ceramic coating is ok? Do you have to pay anything to have it "maintained" every year or two? You need to know what you are obligated to do, if anything, to help maintain the warranty over the 7 years. Many detail shops apply these products everyday, but the costs are much higher than this Dupont package. In the end, it might be worth it IF they don't make you "jump thru hoops" and/or say that you didn't read the fine print when you try to make a claim.

Reactions: Litemike

·
Registered
542 Posts
I’ve always heard those dealer paint protection packages are just synthetic sealants like a $20 Meguiars or Zaino type product

I wonder about those new ceramic coatings that are suppose to last years. Do they give your car that freshly machine polished, clay bar and sealant look and buttery soft contaminant free feel for that long?

Been a Zaino user for almost 20 years, it’s treated me very well! My truck that’s been parked outside for 20 years always gets compliments. I just can’t imagine a single coating can last that long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All good points. Im going to get the details and let you guys know what I find out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not. The 7 year warranty could be under the circumstances that you get a re-application every two years. Even Opti-coat only lasts like 2-3 years. Just wax her up and vacuum the seats every once and awhile -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts