Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall review very good...but need some comments on these comments.
Although we’ve had the car over a month I’ve only driven our Touring 126 miles and have not experienced these “flaws”.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/subaru/ascent/2019/2019-subaru-ascent-first-test-review/

“the vehicle's "short first gear and quick throttle tip-in gives a sense of quick off-the-line acceleration, but it's actually just jerky and snappy and will do nothing but annoy your passengers. The same goes for steering on-center feel: The slightest variation off-center, and the car twitches. You have to be really smooth with both your right foot and your hands in order not to throw your passengers around." After a few weeks, owners will probably learn to work around those issues, but they're still frustrating flaws in an otherwise well-rounded crossover. “

·
Registered
590 Posts
Although we’ve had the car over a month I’ve only driven our Touring 126 miles and have not experienced these “flaws”.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/subaru/ascent/2019/2019-subaru-ascent-first-test-review/

“the vehicle's "short first gear and quick throttle tip-in gives a sense of quick off-the-line acceleration, but it's actually just jerky and snappy and will do nothing but annoy your passengers. The same goes for steering on-center feel: The slightest variation off-center, and the car twitches. You have to be really smooth with both your right foot and your hands in order not to throw your passengers around." After a few weeks, owners will probably learn to work around those issues, but they're still frustrating flaws in an otherwise well-rounded crossover. “
I didn’t notice this at all on our test drives. But we did come from a Nissan Pathfinder with CVT so maybe that’s why. I personally don’t think they jump around or you can even notice. Maybe I’m just immune to it! Haha!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can see exactly what they are saying, especially with the steering. My wife has complained about it too. I keep meaning to reduce the PSI in the tires since they at about 41 from factory to see if that would help it be less twitchy. You can really notice it on the highways that have the grooves in them.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Maybe the reviewer just doesn't have very good control over his hands and feet.
2,700 miles... and I haven't experienced such problems. The reaaaaaaaally light steering (when moving slowly) did take a few miles to get used to (compared to my super tight 2010 Outback steering), but that's about it.

So, I agree with @SubieDriver... :smile_big: :grin:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Performs just like my 2018 Outback Limited 3.6. Quick and jerky off the line! Must be the Subaru CVT programming.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had our Ascent for a few weeks now and love it but have to say that I agree with both of their points. When I first started driving it I definitely noticed the really quick throttle tip-in and sensitive steering (especially at highway speeds). Now, after a few weeks I've gotten used to it and don't even notice it anymore but at first I definitely did.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Pretty fast for what it is...

In our acceleration testing, the Premium hit 60 mph in 6.9 seconds...
That's faster than the thousand pound lighter Subaru Outback 3.6R has been tested at. So, I dunno why anyone complains about the car seeming fast but in reality just being jerky and pretending to be fast. That's pretty darn fast for a 6 foot+ tall, very wide, boat of an SUV that's 8.7" off the ground. :tango_face_wink: :smile_big:

·
Registered
225 Posts
The steering is very light. Switching to the wifes sedan makes it feel so heavy. I do think the CVT is a bit twitchy. Especially in the break in period keeping it under 4,000 rpms. Sometimes you don't get a good shift if you let off the throttle. I do think Subaru needs to update their shift curves a bit. There are moments where it can't decide which gear it wants to be in. For it's size it is a "fast" SUV. I drove the 3.6R at the dealer right before I drove the Ascent and it didn't have the pickup. The Pilot test drive wasn't much better. I really liked the pickup of the Ascent.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Most definitely fix the 40+psi that will make a huge difference in the steering and handling. That PSI is left over from transporting it. This was a huge problem with the OB also. The dealers aren’t doing their delivery prep correctly and giving people with improper PSI in the tires. My OB literally drives and handles horribly at 40+ psi no doubt the Ascent will have similar results.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It does have lite steering at slow speeds and freeway speeds. The one thing I noticed today is with ACC on and LKA off I still felt like it was trying to correct itself. It did not feel like TQ vectoring. It felt weird and shocked me a little bit. Without ACC on it does not do it. Throttle tip in can be a little jerky but thats the CVT also. Like my new Impreza at 3k or so it smooths out really nice. Also, this SUV is quiet. I was going around 80mph and I could not believe the silence. Over all a very nice car

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
It does have lite steering at slow speeds and freeway speeds. The one thing I noticed today is with ACC on and LD off I still felt like it was trying to correct itself. It felt weird and shocked me a little bit. Without ACC on it does not do it. Throttle tip in can be a little jerky but thats the CVT also. Like my new Impreza at 3k or so it smooths out really nice. Also, this SUV is quiet. I was going around 80mph and I could not believe the silence. Over all a very nice car
ACC and LD are separate, and LD is somewhat separate (and less sensitive) than LKA (which only functions if the system has a far higher level of lane confidence than the LD portion of the system).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks Robert.

I understand lane departure is a separate function under the eyesight suite. Clarify please the statement about lane keep assist being somewhat separate. It's my understanding there is one function LD or LKA not both. When turned on keeps the car in you lane by reading the painted markings on the highway whether you dose off or drift it completes the same function.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Thanks Robert.

I understand lane departure is a separate function under the eyesight suite. Clarify please the statement about lane keep assist being somewhat separate. It's my understanding there is one function LD or LKA not both. When turned on keeps the car in you lane by reading the painted markings on the highway whether you dose off or drift it completes the same function.
If Lane Departure Warning thinks you've crossed a line, it will alert you, but not necessarily do anything. Whether it does something is dependent on other factors, such as lane/line confidence - which brings us to the part of the system that does something.

Lane Keep Assist has a higher confidence level requirement. So, it will not intervene unless it's a LOT more sure of lanes and lines than the threshold for Lane Departure Warning.

So, if you're driving and Lane Keep Assist is telling you it can't see one or both lines, that doesn't mean Lane Departure Warning won't complain when you cross a line. It often will.

Short version is, even though the systems are highly related, the "sensing threshold" for each part of the system is different. LDW will "activate" a lot more often than LKA will, because the systems that affect steering have a higher confidence level requirement than the system that just warns you.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If Lane Departure Warning thinks you've crossed a line, it will alert you, but not necessarily do anything. Whether it does something is dependent on other factors, such as lane/line confidence - which brings us to the part of the system that does something.

Lane Keep Assist has a higher confidence level requirement. So, it will not intervene unless it's a LOT more sure of lanes and lines than the threshold for Lane Departure Warning.

So, if you're driving and Lane Keep Assist is telling you it can't see one or both lines, that doesn't mean Lane Departure Warning won't complain when you cross a line. It often will.

Short version is, even though the systems are highly related, the "sensing threshold" for each part of the system is different. LDW will "activate" a lot more often than LKA will, because the systems that affect steering have a higher confidence level requirement than the system that just warns you.

Hope that helps.
Does the Lane Departure warning or Lane Assist automatically turn off if the car can't see both lines? I have noticed that I get a brief warning that the Lane Departure system is off (even though I didn't turn it off) and then it turns back on. This is both on city streets and on the highway.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Does the Lane Departure warning or Lane Assist automatically turn off if the car can't see both lines? I have noticed that I get a brief warning that the Lane Departure system is off (even though I didn't turn it off) and then it turns back on. This is both on city streets and on the highway.
Lane Keep Assist will not necessarily turn off if it only sees one line, if it's confident in what it's following.

Lane Departure Warning works with less lane confidence, so, even if LKA shows NO lines, that does not mean that LDW isn't seeing them to its lower confidence threshold, and will thus still warn you.

Subaru again went for safety in this respect. I've never had LDW be wrong, but LKA hasn't been confident enough about lane markings to intervene, so, instead of steering assist, I only get the warning and no assist. That's better than LKA trying to do something when it's not very very sure.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I agree with the throttle response. It seems like something that subaru just does (and many other manufacturers). It's not a linear 0-100% throttle it's logarithmic or something where 0-25% throttle is like 0-75% throttle body opening and 75% throttle is nearly 100% throttle body opening. Was that way on the Tribeca and my BRZ. It's not a direct cable link and is meant to feel like there's more there.

I don't agree with the steering feel but get what they mean. I think it is the light steering and the tighter suspension that makes you feel like you're throwing your passengers around on bumpy turns or quick maneuvers. Gotta love Oklahoma roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.