Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my new Ascent Limited crystal pearl white with ivory leather last weekend. Looks and feels great. I have read all the recent threads in the forum and here are some of my first impressions:

* Looks: Great, but one interior black plastic panel had a large drop of something like dry super glue (white stuff). It's the left plastic panel that goes from the trunk to the left rear door. I saw it before taking delivery, the sales rep cleaned it up but it only took a few hours for the white to show up again. Seems like whatever it was messed up the texture on the plastic too, so I dropped it off to get that plastic panel replaced (it's a huge panel...). That same panel had a scratch done probably with a screwdriver near the rear door. Not too happy about quality control.

* Driving: It feels much stiffer than the 2014 Traverse it replaced (I mean stiffer in a good way, very well grounded). I saw the thread on motion sickness and I don't understand as my (very short, admittedly) experience was completely the opposite. My wife suffers from motion sickness on every vehicle (but only when I drive... so I'm the one to blame), but was happy that after a 45 minute drive in the Ascent she felt perfectly fine. On the Traverse I used to get yelled at usually about 15 minutes into a trip for aggressive driving and motion sickness, so this was a huge improvement.

* CVT transmission: I do feel the jerkiness at 20 mph that everyone talks about, doesn't bother me much. I don't understand what are they talking about regarding fake shift points, though. My Ascent goes to 2000 rpm and it's one smooth acceleration all the way to 80 mph at constant rpms, so as far as I can tell it's not faking any gears and acting as a true CVT. I do feel one slight bump around 40 mph but I think that's the torque converter lockup rather than a gear, since it's the only one from 0 to 80 mph. In contrast, simulated gears feel clear as day when using the paddle shifters in manual mode. Overall I like the CVT feel on a family vehicle (not for my personal one, though). That jerkiness just needs a software update.

* Sound: I read about people complaining about wind noise. The Ascent is a lot quieter than the Traverse. I usually like to hear the engine rev up, but since this car stays pretty much at constant rpms it doesn't add much to the driving experience. Overall it feels quiet, no rattles, but only after 20 minutes off the dealership a fan somewhere in the dash started making a grinding sound (not too different from my 12 year-old computer power supply). Sound continued even after everything in the car was completely off, so I think it's the infotainment system cooling fan or power supply. They are looking into it right now. Another point off for quality control.

* Eyesight/lane assist: I only drove it twice in 3 days, and I seem to have serious "disagreements" with my Ascent. It has an obsessive desire to stay centered between the lines. I was OK with it until I was overtaking an old man in a bicycle. By law in my state I need to leave 3 ft of space and this guy was particularly wiggly so I moved my Ascent to touch the left line. I found myself wrestling my car to go over the line, it took me by surprise. Apparently my Ascent does not think the poor old guy's life was worth much and wanted to drive by very close. I will give it 6 months, if it bothers me again I'll disable it for good. This morning (in city driving, around 40 mph) a car in front of me slows down to turn right, and when it's finishing its turn (perhaps 2 ft of its tail were still on my lane, otherwise almost gone) my Ascent decided to slam on the brakes, activating the ABS and everything. I had no other cars around so I didn't even slow down, I was going to move 3 ft to the left and go around the guy, and I had plenty of time to do that. In my head it wasn't a big deal and didn't even warrant my foot going to the brakes. The car decided otherwise and I did not like it a bit. Luckily there was nobody behind me otherwise this "safety" technology could've caused my new vehicle to be rear-ended for no reason. I will also give it 6 months, if it doesn't behave it will get disabled for good. Perhaps there's some sensitivity settings? I do like to get warnings, both for lane and for impending collision, but I don't want to give up control. I'm always paying attention when I drive so I can take care of the situation myself, I'm not sure this "assistance" would be an improvement over a driver that's normally alert.

Anyway, just wanted to share my first thoughts, mostly positive but there's some quirks... I hope to solve them with proper settings and with my own adjustment to the new car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took delivery of my new Ascent Limited crystal pearl white with ivory leather last weekend. Looks and feels great. I have read all the recent threads in the forum and here are some of my first impressions:

* Looks: Great, but one interior black plastic panel had a large drop of something like dry super glue (white stuff). It's the left plastic panel that goes from the trunk to the left rear door. I saw it before taking delivery, the sales rep cleaned it up but it only took a few hours for the white to show up again. Seems like whatever it was messed up the texture on the plastic too, so I dropped it off to get that plastic panel replaced (it's a huge panel...). That same panel had a scratch done probably with a screwdriver near the rear door. Not too happy about quality control.

* Driving: It feels much stiffer than the 2014 Traverse it replaced (I mean stiffer in a good way, very well grounded). I saw the thread on motion sickness and I don't understand as my (very short, admittedly) experience was completely the opposite. My wife suffers from motion sickness on every vehicle (but only when I drive... so I'm the one to blame), but was happy that after a 45 minute drive in the Ascent she felt perfectly fine. On the Traverse I used to get yelled at usually about 15 minutes into a trip for aggressive driving and motion sickness, so this was a huge improvement.

* CVT transmission: I do feel the jerkiness at 20 mph that everyone talks about, doesn't bother me much. I don't understand what are they talking about regarding fake shift points, though. My Ascent goes to 2000 rpm and it's one smooth acceleration all the way to 80 mph at constant rpms, so as far as I can tell it's not faking any gears and acting as a true CVT. I do feel one slight bump around 40 mph but I think that's the torque converter lockup rather than a gear, since it's the only one from 0 to 80 mph. In contrast, simulated gears feel clear as day when using the paddle shifters in manual mode. Overall I like the CVT feel on a family vehicle (not for my personal one, though). That jerkiness just needs a software update.

* Sound: I read about people complaining about wind noise. The Ascent is a lot quieter than the Traverse. I usually like to hear the engine rev up, but since this car stays pretty much at constant rpms it doesn't add much to the driving experience. Overall it feels quiet, no rattles, but only after 20 minutes off the dealership a fan somewhere in the dash started making a grinding sound (not too different from my 12 year-old computer power supply). Sound continued even after everything in the car was completely off, so I think it's the infotainment system cooling fan or power supply. They are looking into it right now. Another point off for quality control.

* Eyesight/lane assist: I only drove it twice in 3 days, and I seem to have serious "disagreements" with my Ascent. It has an obsessive desire to stay centered between the lines. I was OK with it until I was overtaking an old man in a bicycle. By law in my state I need to leave 3 ft of space and this guy was particularly wiggly so I moved my Ascent to touch the left line. I found myself wrestling my car to go over the line, it took me by surprise. Apparently my Ascent does not think the poor old guy's life was worth much and wanted to drive by very close. I will give it 6 months, if it bothers me again I'll disable it for good. This morning (in city driving, around 40 mph) a car in front of me slows down to turn right, and when it's finishing its turn (perhaps 2 ft of its tail were still on my lane, otherwise almost gone) my Ascent decided to slam on the brakes, activating the ABS and everything. I had no other cars around so I didn't even slow down, I was going to move 3 ft to the left and go around the guy, and I had plenty of time to do that. In my head it wasn't a big deal and didn't even warrant my foot going to the brakes. The car decided otherwise and I did not like it a bit. Luckily there was nobody behind me otherwise this "safety" technology could've caused my new vehicle to be rear-ended for no reason. I will also give it 6 months, if it doesn't behave it will get disabled for good. Perhaps there's some sensitivity settings? I do like to get warnings, both for lane and for impending collision, but I don't want to give up control. I'm always paying attention when I drive so I can take care of the situation myself, I'm not sure this "assistance" would be an improvement over a driver that's normally alert.

Anyway, just wanted to share my first thoughts, mostly positive but there's some quirks... I hope to solve them with proper settings and with my own adjustment to the new car.
I have a suspicion that I am going to be turning off 1 or 2 of the safety systems with eyesight on my limited when it comes in. I have read several instances like yours, where the car gets a little dominant. In particular, driving on a curvy country road, for me, will have to be without the lane keep assist. Also, a forum member did mention a touchy situation when he or she got sandwiched in between 2 (18 wheelers on the interstate). The ascent went a little squirrelly (sp) on him. As an older driver, I am going to like the rear breaking assist, as well as the front collision assist. We will adapt to it.. Enjoy the new car.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Too bad I only do Subaru stuff, sounds like the Traverse could use some some of my handy work.

lol.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too bad I only do Subaru stuff, sounds like the Traverse could use some some of my handy work.

lol.
I saw some of your posts, good work. You'd make a killing improving the Traverse. Wasn't a bad vehicle for family driving, but the Ascent sure feels like an improvement. We had some great memories in that car with the kids but 1 year into it, the AC ran empty of refrigerant. 3 years later and taking it to the dealer every few months for the same issue they said they finally located a leak in the condenser, but being out of warranty I had to pay for it ($1650). Two weeks later I bought the Ascent, and I will do everything I can to make sure nobody ever gets cheated out of warranty like GM did to me. Now I'm happy with my Ascent despite the initial quirks, not buying GM ever again.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Now I'm happy with my Ascent despite the initial quirks, not buying GM ever again.
Car & Driver liked the Ascent's suspension & motion control. They said it was well controlled but not harsh.

Car & Driver also raved about the 2010 (?) Impreza styling in an initial review, then bashed it saying the long awaited 2015 (?) revamping was so needed. I am not 100% on the years, but it's basically the current model vs last. So, take what they write with a grain of Himalayan salt.

In the same article as the above ... They also claimed of an unpaved road they could induce so much yaw that a golf ball sized chunk of gravel got lodged in the wheel spoke. I am sure some Ascent owners know the size of a golf ball, probably a golf bag also.

Handling and comfort are subjective and individual. Most individuals don't pay enough attention. the Subaru design and engineering team are targeting a mass chunk of the market and trying to get it right for most people. Without any harshness or noise. I am happy, out of the gate they are better than the Traverse. C&D said the same thing. I am still here to help out. Even if that means at 65K miles when the OEM sway bar bushings are trashed...I offer options. Also without any harshness or noise.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Turn off lane departure for normal city driving. For me its better used in highway driving on long trips.
I think you mean Lane Keep Assist, not Lane Departure.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have good taste, that's exactly what I have on order.

There's a reason every brochure I saw shows the pearl white Limited, I think it's the best looking one. I also prefer the ivory leather over the java brown, so I crossed off the Touring because of that. I almost bought a blue one they had in stock (I prefer the white, but the blue is nice too), but before I convinced my wife somebody bought it. I found this one in transit, somebody had cancelled an order so I jumped on it. Had some accessories I don't need (like a $499 trailer hitch), but took it anyway because I didn't want to wait, otherwise it was exactly what I wanted.

Turn off lane departure for normal city driving. For me its better used in highway driving on long trips.

I like the warnings (I'm used to them from my old Traverse). I'm still not fully convinced about the assisting tech. Worst case I only want to turn off the assisted driving, but keep the warnings (but I can't play with the settings now since my Ascent is in the shop).

·
Registered
646 Posts
There's a reason every brochure I saw shows the pearl white Limited, I think it's the best looking one. I also prefer the ivory leather over the java brown, so I crossed off the Touring because of that. I almost bought a blue one they had in stock (I prefer the white, but the blue is nice too), but before I convinced my wife somebody bought it. I found this one in transit, somebody had cancelled an order so I jumped on it. Had some accessories I don't need (like a $499 trailer hitch), but took it anyway because I didn't want to wait, otherwise it was exactly what I wanted.

I like the warnings (I'm used to them from my old Traverse). I'm still not fully convinced about the assisting tech. Worst case I only want to turn off the assisted driving, but keep the warnings (but I can't play with the settings now since my Ascent is in the shop).
Can't do both I think. Turn it off and the noise stops also. Mine is off and besides a small display showing that nothing alarms

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Give the Eyesight systems a chance. Such new innovations take time to get used to. People used to complain about and refused to wear seatbelts when they came out, now virtually everyone uses them. So it is with these safety innovations.

Turn of lane corrective assist (button on steering wheel) when on narrow roads and construction zones. I use it only on the highway where it is very welcome. I was coming home from a long trip recently and was getting drowsy. It was beeping and correcting my driving which made me realize I needed a rest. Something like this can save your life, but it does take time to get used to it and you may need to improve your driving to stay within the center of the lane. I did that and now have no issues. I think it's making me a better driver.

Please give it a fair chance, you'll be glad you did, it's a great safety innovation.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last Friday I got back my Ascent. They replaced the entire infotainment system because of the noisy fan. They could reproduce the grinding sound even by blowing air to the fan with the shop compressor.
New radio came with latest software. The only immediate difference I noticed was the volume knob now has some transparency so it doesn't completely block what's behind (a welcomed thing). I'm sure there were other bug fixes just not directly visible.

What was very visible was a huge dent on the driver door. I had the car for 2 days, I drove it for a whole 60 miles before they dented the door. Taking it back to the shop again tomorrow for them to fix it (crossing fingers they can fix it).

I put some more miles this weekend (at 250 now!), it registered 22 mpg on a 100 mile trip with some city areas, mostly highway. Its fine I think for an engine that's not broken in yet. I played with the settings, I'm disappointed that turning off assisted driving also turns off the warnings and there doesn't seem to be a way around it. Subaru if you are listening, some drivers aren't comfortable handing off control to a computer yet. Let the computer see and tell me what to do, but I'll do it myself. There's the option of letting the lane assist work but disable the warnings, so why not the opposite as an option as well? Same thing with brake assist. I'm allowed to completely disable it, can we have the option of getting the warnings but no active response?

The trip was pleasant, only one phantom warning from Eyesight: it warned me of impending collision with the red lights, but there was nothing there. At least it didn't slam the brakes. ACC worked great in the highway.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I played with the settings, I'm disappointed that turning off assisted driving also turns off the warnings and there doesn't seem to be a way around it.

I want to rectify that statement. After additional testing, disabling lane assist from the steering wheel does not disable the warnings, you'll still get warnings unless you turn them off from the overhead button. I like this. The reason my previous tests failed is likely because when you disable lane keep assist, you have no indication of whether the car actually locked-in on the lane marks or not, so when I purposely stepped on the line to see the warning, perhaps it wasn't seeing the lines on the road (just guessing as there's no way of knowing).
But it works as it's supposed to.

Does anyone know if collision braking and warning can also operate separated? Since the buttons are split, similar to lane keep vs lane warnings, they could be. The manual is not so clear about this, and I don't feel like ramming my car against an object to test if it stops or if I get just warnings.

·
Registered
927 Posts

Those are things that are unsettling at first but that you get used to or adapt to.

Now if I know I'm going to leave my lane (say to avoid a biker or to give a stopped car on the side of the road some space) I use my turn signal, which disables the LKA. And since you are actually leaving your lane, you're supposed to signal so other drivers know you're coming. After a couple months this has become second nature and it's actually the proper thing to do!

For the other issue, the "inadvertent braking" the system can't know for sure the vehicle is going to get out of the way so it assumes the worst. Now I'll change lanes if I can, or go ahead and back off so I don't get the panic warning. Yes, when the cars get smarter, it would know the difference, but for now it errs on the side of safety. I usually also have my follow distance set to long so I'm never that close to begin with.

I wouldn't disable that system as the other day I was highly distracted (bad day) and the 4 warning lights went off and I slammed on the brakes to avoid a bad rear end collision. If I hadn't done it, the car would have and at least made a bad accident a minor one. It's worth getting used to the quirks of the system to get all the benefits!

Enjoy your Ascent! I love mine!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a followup of my first impressions. After 650 miles, I no longer feel the LKA anymore, so it stays on. Eyesight gives a couple of warnings every now and then that I don't see as dangerous, but it hasn't taken control ever again, so it will stay on as well.
I got used to the light steering, now I complain why my other vehicle makes me work out so hard.
A happy driver here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts