Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this e-mail:

Dear Kathleen Smith,

There is a new map update available for your vehicle you can download. By downloading and installing the new map update, you can get the most recent map in your vehicle.

To download the new map update, please click the button below or copy and paste the map update URL into your browser.

Map Update URL: https://subaru-maps.com

Please refer the user manual at the above URL for instructions for downloading and installing the map update into your vehicle.

Thank you,
Subaru Map Update Portal Team.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just finished installing the update, I had been at 19.1.70, now at 19.25.70. I couldn't see where any of the issues that I had reported were addressed. It did apply an update for GraceNotes HK's player app, but I still will not resolve properly tagged MP3 files unless you append the track number to the beginning of the file name. Still can't deal with subfolders properly. Just doesn't make sense, why do you have to start from the root each time. Every other system allows you to backup the path you came down. I've created so many playlists now it's just as cumbersome to scroll thru that list to find what I want. The really strange thing is I can plug my usb drive into my wifes Nissan Murano works like a million bucks, in and out of folders, songs are all listed by track order. Put it in a friends Ram Pickup which is an HK system. Works just like every other mp3 player does. I took my drive in to my dealer and put it in a 2020 Ascent it was running 19.15.70 so acted the same as mine. Do these people from Subaru and HK not listen to music while in the car?

·
Registered
680 Posts
15-236-18R
REVISED: 08/16/19
APPLICABILITY: 2019MY Impreza 2019MY Crosstrek (Including Hybrid Model) 2019MY Forester 2019MY Legacy/ Outback 2019MY WRX 2019MY BRZ- Navigation -equipped ONLY 2019MY Ascent
SUBJECT: Reprogramming File Availability for Optimization of Harman Gen 3.1 Audio and Navigation Head Units

IMPORTANT NOTES:
• If a vehicle presents with a current blank or black screen condition, request an exchange unit.
• Be sure to locate and re-format any existing USB drives used for updating Harman audio
units in order to fully clear them before adding these new files to them.
• On BRZ models, this update applicable to HIGH / Navigation-equipped head units only.

Recommended Flash Drives:
• Kingston®: Data Traveler G3, G4, SE9 or the Hyper-X Series
• SanDisk®: Cruzer Series, Ultra Flair
• Transcend®: JetFlash 300, 600 or 790
• Verbatim®: Store ‘n’ Go

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Review these points carefully BEFORE proceeding.
• On 2019 Legacy/Outback models equipped with versions Rel_UA.19.01.70 or Rel_UD.19.17.70,
the new software update will only correct satellite switch functionality conditions.

• On any model other than 2019 Legacy/Outback equipped with versions Rel_UA.19.01.70 or Rel_
UD.19.17.70, there will be no improvements if the current software is applied as the software
these vehicles have is already equivalent to the latest update.

• Vehicles equipped with software version Rel_U1.18.38.50, Rel4.18.11.50, Rel_U0.18.30.20,
Rel4.18.20.50, or Rel_U1.18.20.60 will receive the listed improvements when installing this
latest software update.

update LOG

3 TBD Rel_UE.19.22.70
Revised 15-236-18R,
INCLUDES updates #1 & #2
above and addresses these additional conditions:
- The steering wheel satellite controls for the audio/
navigation system (other than volume control) and the
audio/ navigation head unit hard buttons (other than
volume control) may become inoperative intermittently.
- The setting for scheduling charging will terminate (Only
Crosstrek Hybrid).

2 3/18/2019 Rel_UA.19.01.70 Rel_UD.19.17.70**
Revised 15-236-18R, INCLUDES update #1 above and
addresses these additional conditions:
  • AM/FM radio station presets are lost.
  • Favorite Phone Contacts list is lost.
  • <Scan> previously displayed on SXM screen was changed to
<Tune Scan> (a.k.a. SEEK).
  • US State names corrected when using voice guidance.
  • Correction made for Pop / Crackling-type sound when using AM
radio.
  • Navigation system freezes during loading / start-up.
  • Music skips/cuts out while using Apple CarPlay.
  • Hands-free feature freezes intermittently while loading.
  • Navigation system freezes after entering a particular address
using Voice Recognition.
- The voice guidance volume no longer changes After Ignition
Off/On. Once the Voice Guidance has been muted, the system
retains that setting even after switching the ignition Off/On.
- Invalid Destination Code message appears on the display while
listening to the radio.
- Spanish version FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) translation
corrected.
- Mismatch of Speed Limit between Navigation display and the
Speed Limit displayed in the Combination Meter Multi-Function
Display (MFD).

1 12/5/2018 Rel_U1.18.38.50

Station presets are lost
- Addition of the security enhancement

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I have only used the Navigation in the car once I have to admit I use Android Auto all the time instead. But I do like to keep it up to date just in case the cell network goes down!
I had the need to use it a few times where my Google Offline Maps cache seemed to have missed areas in the middle of nowhere where neither AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon had service.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Update takes about 50 minutes. I sits at step 8 for about 30-35 of those minutes. So don't be alarmed when its on 100% of step 8 for a long long time.
With a USB 3.0 drive it only took me 20 minutes to install the update.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So far there have been no reported issues on other Subaru forums for this update. The last one was a disaster for some. Luckily my last 19 OB upgrade went well. I'm going to proceed with caution. Without a real need for something new, I'm procrastinating.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update takes about 50 minutes. I sits at step 8 for about 30-35 of those minutes. So don't be alarmed when its on 100% of step 8 for a long long time.
It was the Map Data portion (Step 8) that was also the time killer for me. I'm guessing at least 5 minutes at "3%" completion and at least 10 minutes at 100% completion. This was using a 3.0 USB. Total time was about 1/2 hour for me.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I did my update while driving home from work. It took about 20 minutes and then it turned off the air conditioning for me. Not sure why but right as the radio turned on from the reboot, I had the moment of panic that the AC broke then I noticed it was just off. In the Houston area the AC must work!

·
Registered
9 Posts
15-236-18R
REVISED: 08/16/19
APPLICABILITY: 2019MY Impreza 2019MY Crosstrek (Including Hybrid Model) 2019MY Forester 2019MY Legacy/ Outback 2019MY WRX 2019MY BRZ- Navigation -equipped ONLY 2019MY Ascent
SUBJECT: Reprogramming File Availability for Optimization of Harman Gen 3.1 Audio and Navigation Head Units

IMPORTANT NOTES:
• If a vehicle presents with a current blank or black screen condition, request an exchange unit.
• Be sure to locate and re-format any existing USB drives used for updating Harman audio
units in order to fully clear them before adding these new files to them.
• On BRZ models, this update applicable to HIGH / Navigation-equipped head units only.

Recommended Flash Drives:
• Kingston®: Data Traveler G3, G4, SE9 or the Hyper-X Series
• SanDisk®: Cruzer Series, Ultra Flair
• Transcend®: JetFlash 300, 600 or 790
• Verbatim®: Store ‘n’ Go

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Review these points carefully BEFORE proceeding.
• On 2019 Legacy/Outback models equipped with versions Rel_UA.19.01.70 or Rel_UD.19.17.70,
the new software update will only correct satellite switch functionality conditions.

• On any model other than 2019 Legacy/Outback equipped with versions Rel_UA.19.01.70 or Rel_
UD.19.17.70, there will be no improvements if the current software is applied as the software
these vehicles have is already equivalent to the latest update.

• Vehicles equipped with software version Rel_U1.18.38.50, Rel4.18.11.50, Rel_U0.18.30.20,
Rel4.18.20.50, or Rel_U1.18.20.60 will receive the listed improvements when installing this
latest software update.

update LOG

3 TBD Rel_UE.19.22.70
Revised 15-236-18R,
INCLUDES updates #1 & #2
above and addresses these additional conditions:
- The steering wheel satellite controls for the audio/
navigation system (other than volume control) and the
audio/ navigation head unit hard buttons (other than
volume control) may become inoperative intermittently.
- The setting for scheduling charging will terminate (Only
Crosstrek Hybrid).

2 3/18/2019 Rel_UA.19.01.70 Rel_UD.19.17.70**
Revised 15-236-18R, INCLUDES update #1 above and
addresses these additional conditions:
  • AM/FM radio station presets are lost.
  • Favorite Phone Contacts list is lost.
  • <Scan> previously displayed on SXM screen was changed to
<Tune Scan> (a.k.a. SEEK).
  • US State names corrected when using voice guidance.
  • Correction made for Pop / Crackling-type sound when using AM
radio.
  • Navigation system freezes during loading / start-up.
  • Music skips/cuts out while using Apple CarPlay.
  • Hands-free feature freezes intermittently while loading.
  • Navigation system freezes after entering a particular address
using Voice Recognition.
- The voice guidance volume no longer changes After Ignition
Off/On. Once the Voice Guidance has been muted, the system
retains that setting even after switching the ignition Off/On.
- Invalid Destination Code message appears on the display while
listening to the radio.
- Spanish version FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) translation
corrected.
- Mismatch of Speed Limit between Navigation display and the
Speed Limit displayed in the Combination Meter Multi-Function
Display (MFD).

1 12/5/2018 Rel_U1.18.38.50

Station presets are lost
- Addition of the security enhancement
I did my update while driving home from work. It took about 20 minutes and then it turned off the air conditioning for me. Not sure why but right as the radio turned on from the reboot, I had the moment of panic that the AC broke then I noticed it was just off. In the Houston area the AC must work!
I updated and was curious to see if the issue of inaccurate speed limits was fixed. I did a trip, mostly on highways, and where the unit did show speed limits they were correct. However on the street we live on and a connecting street, where I know it used to get them wrong, it now doesn’t show a limit at all. I need to test this further but is “the fix” just to not show limits where it used to get them wrong?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I updated and was curious to see if the issue of inaccurate speed limits was fixed. I did a trip, mostly on highways, and where the unit did show speed limits they were correct. However on the street we live on and a connecting street, where I know it used to get them wrong, it now doesn’t show a limit at all. I need to test this further but is “the fix” just to not show limits where it used to get them wrong?
In the event a local street was in the database with no speed limit, it defaulted to 25mph.

In February 2019, that was fixed by instead properly showing nothing since it didn't know. That update was pulled in March and the December 2018 update was reinstated as the April 2019 update (so those with initial software could benefit from the fixes in the first update), which did not include the fix.

I'd mentioned elsewhere that the fix would return this summer. So, what you are seeing is no speed limit when it does not know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Step 8 is the map data so it is very large.

I used the downloader on Windows 10 and installed to a USB. Started my 2019 Touring Ascent. Then plugged into port Whole update only took 20 minutes.

Everything seems fine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Got a chance to update it over the weekend. Seemed to go smoother than the last update for sure. This one took roughly 20 minutes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Subaru-maps update email ended up filtered for spam. Found it after seeing this thread. Went and got a PNY USB3 64GB drive last night and updated today - also took about 20 minutes. Thanks for making the post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
And just to get a peeve off my chest a bit, after the update, I put all our MP3 files on the USB drive and tried out the "media" thing (2019 Ascent Touring, picked up ~ June 1, 2019 - never tried the USB media thing until just now). Why doesn't Subaru have some sort of fall-back to whatever the last thing you chose rather than some other default that won't change? In particular, this time, it's the "browse" function when I have a song playing. It always goes back to "song" - I generally want to go by "artist" but no matter how many times I go browse, it always hits "songs" and not "artist." This is so similar to how I want the music, etc., to stay how I left it last time - most of the time "off" and every time I get in the car it seems to hit my phone and start playing tunes via BT when I just want it to stay off until and unless I choose it to be on (unless I remember to turn off BT on the phone before starting the car).

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I installed this latest update. Now, whenever the vehicle speed reaches about 75 mph, I get a verbal audio warning to slow down. This never happened before.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I installed this latest update. Now, whenever the vehicle speed reaches about 75 mph, I get a verbal audio warning to slow down. This never happened before.

Has anyone else noticed this?
No. Are you running Waze?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts