Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you didn't get this email, you may find it interesting. Personally, I don't use the Navigation on the head unit with AA and Google Maps/Waze ... but I wonder if this will impact our ability to update the firmware? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Email form Subaru:

Map Update Changes for Your Subaru
Hello,

Here are some details on changes to the TomTom navigation map updates for your 2020 Ascent.

New Update/Changes in Process

On November 19th, 2021, a new map update will be available for your vehicle. The map update process has changed since the last update was released. Please reference the below How to Guide for the latest steps to complete the update process going forward.

End of Free Trials

Your vehicle came with 3 years of free TomTom map updates.

On December 12th, 2021, this free period will end, and map updates will require a paid subscription of $110 for 2 years of updates. We’ll reach back out with more instructions soon. In the meantime, we encourage you to update your maps while you’re still in the free period.

Finally, your TomTom navigation uses SXM Traffic and TravelLink services for real time re-routing, weather, sports and fuel prices. Your vehicle came with a 3-year free trial. To re-subscribe, visit SXM’s Traffic and TravelLink Site

How to Guide

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you didn't get this email, you may find it interesting. Personally, I don't use the Navigation on the head unit with AA and Google Maps/Waze ... but I wonder if this will impact our ability to update the firmware? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Email form Subaru:

Map Update Changes for Your Subaru​

Hello,

Here are some details on changes to the TomTom navigation map updates for your 2020 Ascent.

On November 19th, 2021, a new map update will be available for your vehicle. The map update process has changed since the last update was released. Please reference the below How to Guide for the latest steps to complete the update process going forward.

End of Free Trials

On December 12th, 2021, this free period will end, and map updates will require a paid subscription of $110 for 2 years of updates. We’ll reach back out with more instructions soon. In the meantime, we encourage you to update your maps while you’re still in the free period.

Finally, your TomTom navigation uses SXM Traffic and TravelLink services for real time re-routing, weather, sports and fuel prices. Your vehicle came with a 3-year free trial. To re-subscribe, visit SXM’s Traffic and TravelLink Site

How to Guide
Thanks !!!! I've not received that info for my 2019 Ascent.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Email form Subaru:

Map Update Changes for Your Subaru​

Hello,

End of Free Trials

How to Guide
They have already sent out a follow up email to correct the first one. You will still get your free 3 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The email claims there the map update process has changed, so it wants me to down load the guide. but the download link for the "How to Guide" link doesn't work. The initial 3 year free map downloader expires the beginning of December, so I'd like to get this downloaded and updated before then, unfortunately, it's not being user friendly.

·
Administrator
11,135 Posts
The email claims there the map update process has changed, so it wants me to down load the guide. but the download link for the "How to Guide" link doesn't work. The initial 3 year free map downloader expires the beginning of December, so I'd like to get this downloaded and updated before then, unfortunately, it's not being user friendly.
I updated the same way as always. Logged in, downloaded the Map Updater program, ran it, logged in via the app (with the same login as the website), downloaded the map and firmware data, let it build my USB stick...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I updated the same way as always. Logged in, downloaded the Map Updater program, ran it, logged in via the app (with the same login as the website), downloaded the map and firmware data, let it build my USB stick...
I also downloaded it today, nothing changed from previous downloads - still a pain in the butt. I've not loaded it to the car yet

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did my map update today, only thing that was different was having to input the long security code generated from the car into the process to get the download started. Took about an hour to do the whole thing.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,251 Posts
I just had to retrieve the big long code from the vehicle...will be interesting to see if I have to input the resultant code back into my Ascent. LOL

I don't really use the in-vehicle NAV, but will keep it "current" until it's no longer free next May.

Reactions: justmatt

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just had to retrieve the big long code from the vehicle...will be interesting to see if I have to input the resultant code back into my Ascent. LOL

I don't really use the in-vehicle NAV, but will keep it "current" until it's no longer free next May.
Did you have to input the code to download it? I didn't. I've not tried loading to car yet.
How long did it take to load? I know in the past I had to "drive around" on some of them for an hour, I know the last one was shorter (1/2 hour?)
Also, where did you get the code from? It didn't give me one -- but my subscription doesn't expire until mid Dec.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,251 Posts
Did you have to input the code to download it? I didn't. I've not tried loading to car yet.
Yes...I had to go out to my vehicle, turn it on, access the Navigation settings in the head unit Settings utility and get the update code from the screen. I wrote it down before I remembered I could just take a picture of it.

Where I'm stuck at present is that the Map Downloader app isn't seeing any USB stick I bring up on my MacOS machine. I may need to disconnect from my dock and dual monitor setup...there may be too many resources in use that are confusing it or something.

·
Registered
585 Posts
As I discovered today while trying to load it, you need an activation code which you get from the car, THEN the code gets loaded onto the computer - down at the bottom of the computer map update page. It tells you how to request the code and then has a line on the website to enter it. I'll mess with that last part tomorrow.

·
Administrator
11,135 Posts
As I discovered today while trying to load it, you need an activation code which you get from the car, THEN the code gets loaded onto the computer - down at the bottom of the computer map update page. It tells you how to request the code and then has a line on the website to enter it. I'll mess with that last part tomorrow.
Odd. That's always been there, but, when I am logged in, I never needed it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,205 Posts
Anyone have an actual time for the USB update to complete on the head unit? My download and key creation didn't require any codes and proceeded exactly as in the past. When I plugged in the key, the HU said it could take up to an hour. I didn't have a long drive so I cancelled. In the past the warning message was more like 20 minutes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts