Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,678 Posts
That sounds about right. Not sure why my MY19 Ascent took a little longer, but the MY20 Forester Limited came in at about 20 minutes yesterday. The Forester recognized the USB stick much faster than the Ascent. Not sure why. No matter, both are done and that was literally the last time I'll do it for the Ascent 'cause I'm not going to pay for NAV updates for a system I don't use. I'm sure there will be a couple more for the Forester before it ages out of freebies Next March.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
561 Posts
What a clunky and overly tedious procedure just to patch up an obsolete and next to worthless program! I did one update last year and it didn't require nuclear launch codes to accomplish. This time I just gave up as I never use the worthless program anyway. Waze is my go-to nav. I think SoA owes me a refund for what they charged for this crap.

"The 1990s called, and they want their Tom Tom program back"

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
13 Posts
Help! Been fighting the update two hours now. Is it possible that different States have different map versions? For the last two updates I've attempted to perform the task via wifi, but infotainment states I am already up to date. I'm stuck at running Rel__UA.20.41.70 which is like two updates ago? The wifi method executes, but does not get me to Rel__UA.22.05.45 NAFTA. Not sure why my system would tell me I am up to date, when I am not. Tried the memory stick method, but my 9-year old Mac isn't accepting the map downloader gracefully. My State is Oregon.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Help! Been fighting the update two hours now. Is it possible that different States have different map versions? For the last two updates I've attempted to perform the task via wifi, but infotainment states I am already up to date. I'm stuck at running Rel__UA.20.41.70 which is like two updates ago? The wifi method executes, but does not get me to Rel__UA.22.05.45 NAFTA. Not sure why my system would tell me I am up to date, when I am not. Tried the memory stick method, but my 9-year old Mac isn't accepting the map downloader gracefully. My State is Oregon.
I feel for ya. After wasting several frustrating hours I gave up on the latest update. I did one last fall without a hitch, but now it wants me to retrieve a nuclear launch code from somewhere, enter it to get yet another code, etc, etc. My subscription is obviously current, or it would not let me download to the thumb drive. I bought the new car last Nov and bought the 3 year subscription. Why make it so tedious?

If your phone has Apple Car Play, Android Auto, or my favorite, Waze, just dump the inferior Tom Tom and use one of those.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
bought the 3 year subscription
NAV updates are three years for free...I just did my last one for my MY19 Ascent Touring the other day as noted above. They are not part of the Starlink subscription.

You only have to do the "nuclear" authorization code thing once fortunately. :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
NAV updates are three years for free...I just did my last one for my MY19 Ascent Touring the other day as noted above. They are not part of the Starlink subscription.

You only have to do the "nuclear" authorization code thing once fortunately. :D
If I recall, the instructions asked for one code retrieved from the website, enter it into the car's system to obtain another to actually accept the update...????

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
If I recall, the instructions asked for one code retrieved from the website, enter it into the car's system to obtain another to actually accept the update...????
Yes, but you only have to do it once. When I did the update last week for both my MY19 Ascent Touring and our MY20 Forester Limited, The information was still there from the last time I did the Ascent. I had to do the deed for the Forester for the first time as last update it didn't ask for some reason. I suspect the map provider does it this way to insure that the USB key we make cannot be used on some other person's Subaru, such as someone who is outside of the free update time period. Probably some kind of hash code is created that's keyed to valid vehicles for the download.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes, but you only have to do it once. When I did the update last week for both my MY19 Ascent Touring and our MY20 Forester Limited, The information was still there from the last time I did the Ascent. I had to do the deed for the Forester for the first time as last update it didn't ask for some reason. I suspect the map provider does it this way to insure that the USB key we make cannot be used on some other person's Subaru, such as someone who is outside of the free update time period. Probably some kind of hash code is created that's keyed to valid vehicles for the download.
Well, I did one update last Dec? if I recall. No problem, I just created the USB drive from my PC, stuck it into the aux, went to "maps>update" and it updated. This time it wants one, maybe two "codes" to update. Not worth the hassle, as it is a shyte program, not worth two hours of frustration. IMHO, the dealer should do the update as part of regular service, just like ECU updates. Crazy to expect owners,who may not be techies to go thru such a tedious, convoluted procedure to enable a feature they paid for to work. I'm not sure what I was charged for the "nav feature" as it was part of a $2K option package, but what ever it was, I feel ripped off! Otherwise, I am a happy customer, I'm sure Subaru can do better.

I don't understand the need for the Captain Midnight secret decoder BS. I paid for the feature, are they afraid I am stealing it? They have my VIN, date of purchase, etc, why all the cloak & dagger stuff?

Reactions: jcr

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Well, I did one update last Dec? if I recall. No problem, I just created the USB drive from my PC, stuck it into the aux, went to "maps>update" and it updated. This time it wants one, maybe two "codes" to update.
Yes, that's what happened with the Forester. The update in November didn't require the code dance; this one did. I just walked to the Forester, activated the electrics so I could go to the screen in the settings to see the authentication code, made a photo on my iPhone, walked back to my desk and typed in the number. The downloader created the authorization and the rest of the process proceeded.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
837 Posts
gen 3.1 in now over 3 years old it is why code was added
old way you can can downlod update using 2022 car VIN and plug it in 2019 and update , now you need sync code from actual radio, the one you get from website after you subscription verified
usb itself still not locked to the year or win , if you have 5 cars you only need to create USB 1 time , but get code for every one

·
Registered
217 Posts
It happened to me too and I was getting frustrated but kept at it and finally figured it out.
Steps:
  • Get the code from the car. Under settings>Navigation>Map Update Information.
  • Write it down (The same code you mentioned in your write up “I said yes. It said plug this code in”
  • Go the website with that code: Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal
  • Under vehicle: You will see your information (If you had created an account). Subaru/Vin #/subscription date of expiration.
  • Under Update:
  • Top box instruction: How to check software and map version.
  • Next box:
  • Map info UA.22.05.45
  • Publication date: 2022-05-30 08:49
  • Instruction for USB device
  • Next to Subaru: Activation code: Enter the code from the car to authenticate it.
  • Press enter a new code will appear, write it down.
  • Go back to the car and enter this code and this will be processed and update the map.
I hope I remembered all the steps correctly.
Best of luck as I know it is tedious and too many steps.
We've been traveling for a week or so. I have this printed up and it worked like a charm. I kept missing getting the link code from the website.

I have no idea what the 2nd code in the car is for after I plug the drive in and it says successful...do you want to activate. That's the code that wouldn't go.

At any rate, success on the first try now. It did take 40 minutes on our car

Thanks - Steve

·
Registered
561 Posts
I guess the third time is the charm. Although it got stuck on 100% of the #8 file for almost 10 minutes. I was about to give up and quit when it finally pushed on to the last file. About 40 minutes total, using a brand new Kingston USB 3.1, 32Gb drive.

Will SoA reimburse me for
Vehicle Sky Gadget Automotive design Font

the gas I wasted? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I believe that the delay is when the system is unpacking the map data which can take some time. It was slightly longer on the Forester than the Ascent, but still a bit of a wait. But I was driving, so it really didn't matter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm at 3.5 years past purchase and I did not renew and yet the maps program is reporting that my expiration is now Sept 30, 2022. it game me an activation and I successfully loaded the update. I know my login to the update tool was showing a Feb 2022 expiration when I last checked. No idea why it extended after a new update was released. Anyway - even if you are past 3 years it's worth checking. My initial activation was Jan 31, 2019.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I'm at 3.5 years past purchase and I did not renew and yet the maps program is reporting that my expiration is now Sept 30, 2022.
I apparently got a similar grace period...my purchase date anniversary was in early May, but was granted the update until 2 August...which I applied as noted earlier in the thread. I do not plan on doing any future updates that carry any kind of charge to them as I don't use the Factory NAV for anything other than occasional convenience when trying to not miss a turn in an unfamiliar area locally.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts