Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,678 Posts
I got the notice recently as it's the last one available for free...which means it's the last one I'll ever apply since I don't actually use the internal NAV for actual navigation. I do wish that firmware updates were independent of map updates, but that's not just a Subaru thing...

I did have to use an alternative machine to prepare the USB stick because my primary computer is MacOS Monterrey on Intel on which the map updater does not work. (Monterrey on M1 or M2 is just fine as is older OS on Intel) They actually called this out in the email which I'm thankful for as it saved wasting time.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I got the notice too. Months ago, I got the same notification not then once. This is one area where Subaru needs to get their act together. My biggest rant is the process to download the files and then put them on a memory stick. It's extremely cumbersome and, IMO, completely unnecessary. Can't Subaru have a password protected site where we can just download a self-extracting zip file and then extract the files to a memory stick?
I agree that it's cumbersome. But the likely reason they are using the process they are is because of the authentication setup that gets incorporated into the files so they work on the intended vehicle(s) and only those authenticated vehicle(s). My download is coded for both my MY19 Ascent and our MY20 Forester. IE, the file gets modified as part of the download process from the server. This time around, the Forester did require the authentication; in the late fall/early winter, the last download didn't need anything for the Forester. There must be some time metric that ages out for that.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
You get it for 3 years. My 2022 which I purchased in May 2022 the subscription update will end on 2025-05-20.
Yes, I know that, but the Forester still has another year. :) Previous updates for it didn't need to be authenticated. It seems that once it hit the 2 year mark, authentication for the update became required. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about what I was saying.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I am still in the first year and I had to authenticate using the activation code (Not sure if you mean the activation code as the authentication).
Yes, it was the activation code. The MY20 Forester didn't need that last round but did this time after the two year mark. No biggie. I made the USB key and will apply it to the two vehicles in my copious free time. I'm doing the Ascent first because the free update becomes a "pumpkin" in two days and I don't want to take the chance that even though I downloaded it already that it will not apply. (Not that I use the factory NAV as already noted)

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I ask the question: Why can't the vehicle just be put in the 'on' position? Does it really suck up that much juice to install? ..or does maybe the voltage stay more constant running? ..or is a requirement?
It may take more than the permitted "on but not running" state gives for time before automatically shutting down. That's why I apply it when I know I have an errand to run as most of the run time is actually moving.

Reactions: Steve70

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I applied the update to my Ascent during the "get darling daughter from her apartment to work" drive this afternoon. (She doesn't drive and I hope she never does...but that's not a story for here) It took nearly exactly 30 minutes from when I turned the vehicle on and plugged in the USB memory stick until it rebooted and the music started playing again.

And it didn't ask for a code to be entered...I guess having the printout in my hand insured it didn't need it. :) :D

Anyway, that was the last one for my Ascent while I'm the owner most likely. I'll do our Forester tomorrow.

Reactions: Titanrx8 and Newsub

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
That sounds about right. Not sure why my MY19 Ascent took a little longer, but the MY20 Forester Limited came in at about 20 minutes yesterday. The Forester recognized the USB stick much faster than the Ascent. Not sure why. No matter, both are done and that was literally the last time I'll do it for the Ascent 'cause I'm not going to pay for NAV updates for a system I don't use. I'm sure there will be a couple more for the Forester before it ages out of freebies Next March.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
bought the 3 year subscription
NAV updates are three years for free...I just did my last one for my MY19 Ascent Touring the other day as noted above. They are not part of the Starlink subscription.

You only have to do the "nuclear" authorization code thing once fortunately. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
If I recall, the instructions asked for one code retrieved from the website, enter it into the car's system to obtain another to actually accept the update...????
Yes, but you only have to do it once. When I did the update last week for both my MY19 Ascent Touring and our MY20 Forester Limited, The information was still there from the last time I did the Ascent. I had to do the deed for the Forester for the first time as last update it didn't ask for some reason. I suspect the map provider does it this way to insure that the USB key we make cannot be used on some other person's Subaru, such as someone who is outside of the free update time period. Probably some kind of hash code is created that's keyed to valid vehicles for the download.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Well, I did one update last Dec? if I recall. No problem, I just created the USB drive from my PC, stuck it into the aux, went to "maps>update" and it updated. This time it wants one, maybe two "codes" to update.
Yes, that's what happened with the Forester. The update in November didn't require the code dance; this one did. I just walked to the Forester, activated the electrics so I could go to the screen in the settings to see the authentication code, made a photo on my iPhone, walked back to my desk and typed in the number. The downloader created the authorization and the rest of the process proceeded.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I believe that the delay is when the system is unpacking the map data which can take some time. It was slightly longer on the Forester than the Ascent, but still a bit of a wait. But I was driving, so it really didn't matter.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I'm at 3.5 years past purchase and I did not renew and yet the maps program is reporting that my expiration is now Sept 30, 2022.
I apparently got a similar grace period...my purchase date anniversary was in early May, but was granted the update until 2 August...which I applied as noted earlier in the thread. I do not plan on doing any future updates that carry any kind of charge to them as I don't use the Factory NAV for anything other than occasional convenience when trying to not miss a turn in an unfamiliar area locally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts