Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Ascent Touring, 7 Passenger - AWD
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't Subaru have a password protected site where we can just download a self-extracting zip file and then extract the files to a memory stick?
I agree with that and hope Subaru makes it easy for its customers. I have Garmin Drive Smart 65 and it updates just by clicking update.
It is also life time upgrades.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I know that, but the Forester still has another year. :) Previous updates for it didn't need to be authenticated. It seems that once it hit the 2 year mark, authentication for the update became required. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about what I was saying.
Hi Jim, Thanks for the clarification. May be I did not understand or they changed the requirements as I am still in the first year and I had to authenticate using the activation code (Not sure if you mean the activation code as the authentication).
It was little complicated and tedious as I had to get the code from the car first and then enter it on the web page to get it authenticated to get a new code. Then new code from the web page had to be entered in the car to proceed for completion of the update.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm usually pretty good with these things, but not this one. I did install one update before in here last fall.

Got the update email...signed into the site...downloaded the file...started the car...stuck the jump drive in...it said 'activation successful'...hit next a couple times till it said 'install now'...I said yes. It said plug this code in....I typed it in ...screen says 'wrong pin' ... did it a couple more times...nothing

Reformatted the drive and downloaded the file again this morning...same thing. Gone golfing shortly, but what am I missing??
It happened to me too and I was getting frustrated but kept at it and finally figured it out.
Steps:
  • Get the code from the car. Under settings>Navigation>Map Update Information.
  • Write it down (The same code you mentioned in your write up “I said yes. It said plug this code in”
  • Go the website with that code: Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal
  • Under vehicle: You will see your information (If you had created an account). Subaru/Vin #/subscription date of expiration.
  • Under Update:
  • Top box instruction: How to check software and map version.
  • Next box:
  • Map info UA.22.05.45
  • Publication date: 2022-05-30 08:49
  • Instruction for USB device
  • Next to Subaru: Activation code: Enter the code from the car to authenticate it.
  • Press enter a new code will appear, write it down.
  • Go back to the car and enter this code and this will be processed and update the map.
I hope I remembered all the steps correctly.
Best of luck as I know it is tedious and too many steps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts