Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,524 Posts
I still have 1 more year of free updates but this is the first time the activation code was required. I wrote down the activation code and left it on my desk. Next 20+minute drive, I grabbed the USB, hit the road and of course didn't have the code. What a PIA they've made this. Like I need another reason to use AA instead of TomTom.

Our area has some new roads (some have been around since before getting the Ascent in 05/20) and despite several updates, TomTom still hasn't added them. Google has every road configuration change within days. The interstate underwent a major overhaul with flyovers and new exits and entrances and whenever something gets opened or closed Google knows. TomTom has no clue. Since TomTom and Subaru want to charge a yearly subscription they need to step up and make the product competitive.

I'd love to see a hack for these headunits that allowed us to trash the built in nav and install the actual Google or waze apps. That would drive subscriptions for their Att hotspot to keep everything updated and live.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,524 Posts
It happened to me too and I was getting frustrated but kept at it and finally figured it out.
Steps:
  • Get the code from the car. Under settings>Navigation>Map Update Information.
  • Write it down (The same code you mentioned in your write up “I said yes. It said plug this code in”
  • Go the website with that code: Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal
  • Under vehicle: You will see your information (If you had created an account). Subaru/Vin #/subscription date of expiration.
  • Under Update:
  • Top box instruction: How to check software and map version.
  • Next box:
  • Map info UA.22.05.45
  • Publication date: 2022-05-30 08:49
  • Instruction for USB device
  • Next to Subaru: Activation code: Enter the code from the car to authenticate it.
  • Press enter a new code will appear, write it down.
  • Go back to the car and enter this code and this will be processed and update the map.
I hope I remembered all the steps correctly.
Best of luck as I know it is tedious and too many steps.
I've written missile launch procedures with fewer steps.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,524 Posts
30 minutes from when I turned the vehicle on and plugged in the USB memory stick until it rebooted and the music started playing again.
I just updated mine. It was 20 minutes using a USB 3 key from the time I hit enter after entering the nuclear launch code.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts