Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
143 Posts
I got an email about this map update today. Interestingly, I had already installed this update a few days after its release (May 2022). (Not sure why I am getting emails about an update that has been available for over 60 days ... and yes, I got the same emails in May)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,678 Posts
I got the notice recently as it's the last one available for free...which means it's the last one I'll ever apply since I don't actually use the internal NAV for actual navigation. I do wish that firmware updates were independent of map updates, but that's not just a Subaru thing...

I did have to use an alternative machine to prepare the USB stick because my primary computer is MacOS Monterrey on Intel on which the map updater does not work. (Monterrey on M1 or M2 is just fine as is older OS on Intel) They actually called this out in the email which I'm thankful for as it saved wasting time.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
185 Posts
I got the notice too. Months ago, I got the same notification not then once. This is one area where Subaru needs to get their act together. My biggest rant is the process to download the files and then put them on a memory stick. It's extremely cumbersome and, IMO, completely unnecessary. Can't Subaru have a password protected site where we can just download a self-extracting zip file and then extract the files to a memory stick?

·
Premium Member
2022 Ascent Touring, 7 Passenger - AWD
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't Subaru have a password protected site where we can just download a self-extracting zip file and then extract the files to a memory stick?
I agree with that and hope Subaru makes it easy for its customers. I have Garmin Drive Smart 65 and it updates just by clicking update.
It is also life time upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I got the notice too. Months ago, I got the same notification not then once. This is one area where Subaru needs to get their act together. My biggest rant is the process to download the files and then put them on a memory stick. It's extremely cumbersome and, IMO, completely unnecessary. Can't Subaru have a password protected site where we can just download a self-extracting zip file and then extract the files to a memory stick?
I agree that it's cumbersome. But the likely reason they are using the process they are is because of the authentication setup that gets incorporated into the files so they work on the intended vehicle(s) and only those authenticated vehicle(s). My download is coded for both my MY19 Ascent and our MY20 Forester. IE, the file gets modified as part of the download process from the server. This time around, the Forester did require the authentication; in the late fall/early winter, the last download didn't need anything for the Forester. There must be some time metric that ages out for that.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
You get it for 3 years. My 2022 which I purchased in May 2022 the subscription update will end on 2025-05-20.
Yes, I know that, but the Forester still has another year. :) Previous updates for it didn't need to be authenticated. It seems that once it hit the 2 year mark, authentication for the update became required. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about what I was saying.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I know that, but the Forester still has another year. :) Previous updates for it didn't need to be authenticated. It seems that once it hit the 2 year mark, authentication for the update became required. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about what I was saying.
Hi Jim, Thanks for the clarification. May be I did not understand or they changed the requirements as I am still in the first year and I had to authenticate using the activation code (Not sure if you mean the activation code as the authentication).
It was little complicated and tedious as I had to get the code from the car first and then enter it on the web page to get it authenticated to get a new code. Then new code from the web page had to be entered in the car to proceed for completion of the update.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I am still in the first year and I had to authenticate using the activation code (Not sure if you mean the activation code as the authentication).
Yes, it was the activation code. The MY20 Forester didn't need that last round but did this time after the two year mark. No biggie. I made the USB key and will apply it to the two vehicles in my copious free time. I'm doing the Ascent first because the free update becomes a "pumpkin" in two days and I don't want to take the chance that even though I downloaded it already that it will not apply. (Not that I use the factory NAV as already noted)

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I ask the question: Why can't the vehicle just be put in the 'on' position? Does it really suck up that much juice to install? ..or does maybe the voltage stay more constant running? ..or is a requirement?
It may take more than the permitted "on but not running" state gives for time before automatically shutting down. That's why I apply it when I know I have an errand to run as most of the run time is actually moving.

Reactions: Steve70

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,524 Posts
I still have 1 more year of free updates but this is the first time the activation code was required. I wrote down the activation code and left it on my desk. Next 20+minute drive, I grabbed the USB, hit the road and of course didn't have the code. What a PIA they've made this. Like I need another reason to use AA instead of TomTom.

Our area has some new roads (some have been around since before getting the Ascent in 05/20) and despite several updates, TomTom still hasn't added them. Google has every road configuration change within days. The interstate underwent a major overhaul with flyovers and new exits and entrances and whenever something gets opened or closed Google knows. TomTom has no clue. Since TomTom and Subaru want to charge a yearly subscription they need to step up and make the product competitive.

I'd love to see a hack for these headunits that allowed us to trash the built in nav and install the actual Google or waze apps. That would drive subscriptions for their Att hotspot to keep everything updated and live.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I applied the update to my Ascent during the "get darling daughter from her apartment to work" drive this afternoon. (She doesn't drive and I hope she never does...but that's not a story for here) It took nearly exactly 30 minutes from when I turned the vehicle on and plugged in the USB memory stick until it rebooted and the music started playing again.

And it didn't ask for a code to be entered...I guess having the printout in my hand insured it didn't need it. :) :D

Anyway, that was the last one for my Ascent while I'm the owner most likely. I'll do our Forester tomorrow.

Reactions: Titanrx8 and Newsub

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm usually pretty good with these things, but not this one. I did install one update before in here last fall.

Got the update email...signed into the site...downloaded the file...started the car...stuck the jump drive in...it said 'activation successful'...hit next a couple times till it said 'install now'...I said yes. It said plug this code in....I typed it in ...screen says 'wrong pin' ... did it a couple more times...nothing

Reformatted the drive and downloaded the file again this morning...same thing. Gone golfing shortly, but what am I missing??

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm usually pretty good with these things, but not this one. I did install one update before in here last fall.

Got the update email...signed into the site...downloaded the file...started the car...stuck the jump drive in...it said 'activation successful'...hit next a couple times till it said 'install now'...I said yes. It said plug this code in....I typed it in ...screen says 'wrong pin' ... did it a couple more times...nothing

Reformatted the drive and downloaded the file again this morning...same thing. Gone golfing shortly, but what am I missing??
It happened to me too and I was getting frustrated but kept at it and finally figured it out.
Steps:
  • Get the code from the car. Under settings>Navigation>Map Update Information.
  • Write it down (The same code you mentioned in your write up “I said yes. It said plug this code in”
  • Go the website with that code: Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal
  • Under vehicle: You will see your information (If you had created an account). Subaru/Vin #/subscription date of expiration.
  • Under Update:
  • Top box instruction: How to check software and map version.
  • Next box:
  • Map info UA.22.05.45
  • Publication date: 2022-05-30 08:49
  • Instruction for USB device
  • Next to Subaru: Activation code: Enter the code from the car to authenticate it.
  • Press enter a new code will appear, write it down.
  • Go back to the car and enter this code and this will be processed and update the map.
I hope I remembered all the steps correctly.
Best of luck as I know it is tedious and too many steps.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,524 Posts
It happened to me too and I was getting frustrated but kept at it and finally figured it out.
Steps:
  • Get the code from the car. Under settings>Navigation>Map Update Information.
  • Write it down (The same code you mentioned in your write up “I said yes. It said plug this code in”
  • Go the website with that code: Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal
  • Under vehicle: You will see your information (If you had created an account). Subaru/Vin #/subscription date of expiration.
  • Under Update:
  • Top box instruction: How to check software and map version.
  • Next box:
  • Map info UA.22.05.45
  • Publication date: 2022-05-30 08:49
  • Instruction for USB device
  • Next to Subaru: Activation code: Enter the code from the car to authenticate it.
  • Press enter a new code will appear, write it down.
  • Go back to the car and enter this code and this will be processed and update the map.
I hope I remembered all the steps correctly.
Best of luck as I know it is tedious and too many steps.
I've written missile launch procedures with fewer steps.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts