Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Ascent limited 43k blown ringlands from what they tell me. New long block on order but no more details yet. Started with the pcv valve recall I advised them of heavy smoke but they said it was fine, they changed the oil and fixed the recalls. 2 weeks later she started with really heavy smoke, engine lost power and left me stranded on the highway. Oil was almost completley empty when i checked it. I strongly advise you if your ascent is smoking heavily there might be more damage than you think, have it thourougly checked! With the pcv valve letting oil through the exhaust your O2 sensors are trashed along with the catalytic converter. Dont let them tell you other wise it will cost you down the line after warranty is done. My wife loves her Ascent but well be without it for more than a month this happened June 26th and parts wont hit the dealer till July 18. What a bummer...

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like your PCV valve had failed and they missed a piece inside. Please make sure that Subaru of America is aware of your situation.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
See this article on the causes of ringland failure in turbo-equipped Subarus and ways to prevent it. All Ascent owners should read this before such damage occurs. It's written about the Subaru WRX/STI but may also apply to the Ascent since it too is turbo-equipped.
That's a very informative article, but I foresee a flood of members who read it now wanting to run a high octane fuel in their Ascent. So let me be the first one to start this discussion and ask, should we as Ascent owners really run premium in the Ascent? After reading the article, is it a fair assumption that those who regularly tow, especially in warm climates up long grades, might be the owners who have the most to be concerned about this potential issue? Subaru recommends that when towing up a grade to not exceed 45 mph, but I've noticed a few members state how well their car performed towing a trailer up a grade and they're able to easily pass slower moving vehicles - maybe this is an example of something they shouldn't be doing for this exact reason.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
"While detonation is what damages the pistons, it's important to know that the EJ20 (EJ207 / EJ205), EJ25 (EJ255 / EJ257), and FA20 all have brittle pistons due to Subaru's material and design choices."

Eh. Our pistons are ridiculously beefier than the FA20, designed differently, and I believe a different composite. Our rods are literally twice the size of the FA20's. Our rings are different. Additionally, those cars are tuned for 91 or 93, so, using lower octane gas can indeed cause problems (as noted in the manuals). Ours is tuned for 87. Watching my COBB, I've seen no knock.

Remember, our factory tunes are VERY meager. Heck, the MGT22 turbo produces peak boost levels between 16.4 and 22.6 psi - we run (floored and pushing the Ascent) 15-15.5 psi, maybe bursts to 16psi.

Now, when we start talking about the FA24F being used in an STI, then, yeah, better stick to that 93 octane. ;)

Regardless, other than a slight bump in what's spent at the pump, there's nothing wrong with running 93.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, yes my Subaru dealer did provide me with a loaner vehicle so i cant complain too much, only down side is that it sounds like they dont want to replace the exhaust compoments. Ill cross that bridge when i get there i guess. I dont forsee it being an issue as its obvious that thwy will have to replace the cat,O2 and possibly muffler as more than 4 quarts of oil were shot out through the exhaust in a matter of 2 weeks. I dont tow with the Ascent, my wife drives it 95% of the time around town i have my truck to tow with but i think the pcv issue is not getting the attention it deserves. When i took mine they were dismissive about it burning so much oil

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Mine take every recall seriously - so, I think that's a dealership level thing. Subaru is pretty adamant about recalls being checked and addressed at every service visit. Of course, lack of parts can sometimes delay things, but, then, something should be scheduled ASAP.

Hoping they get to the bottom of your issue and get things fully resolved.

Thanks guys, yes my Subaru dealer did provide me with a loaner vehicle so i cant complain too much, only down side is that it sounds like they dont want to replace the exhaust compoments. Ill cross that bridge when i get there i guess. I dont forsee it being an issue as its obvious that thwy will have to replace the cat,O2 and possibly muffler as more than 4 quarts of oil were shot out through the exhaust in a matter of 2 weeks. I dont tow with the Ascent, my wife drives it 95% of the time around town i have my truck to tow with but i think the pcv issue is not getting the attention it deserves. When i took mine they were dismissive about it burning so much oil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts