Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I found this website when I was comparing MPG real-world numbers. My wife and I are big-time Subaru lovers from Indiana. I drive a 2014 Forester daily and we just picked up a 2020 Ascent Premium 8 seater on New Year's eve. We got a great deal since it was the last day of the month/year. We are very happy with it and believe it will serve our family well for a very long time.

We previously leased a first-gen Crosstrek and then a 2nd gen Crosstrek. But, we are expecting our 3rd child in March and we needed a vehicle capable of taking the entire family plus all the things everywhere. Our dealership made us a hell of a deal, taking $2800 off the MSRP and also eating $2000 of negative equity we had on the Crosstrek lease in order to make the sale with us. They really didn't have to do that because Ascents are flying off of the lot without discounting them. So I guess we were very lucky.

I am a pretty tech-savvy guy so I love the Android Auto/Apple car play along with all of the eyesight and active cruise features. We had those on the 2018 Crosstrek but they seem much more refined in the Ascent. A few things Id like to discuss.

• First 1,000 miles we're averaging 17.7 MPG here in the Indiana Winter. My wife drives the car daily all over South Bend with the kiddos, so we'll see if this number goes up when the weather improves and the car breaks in more.
  • Does anyone know how to make the rear dome lights turn on when the rear gate is open? Getting groceries out of the back is a little annoying with no dome lights.
  • Gas pedal is very touchy just like the reviews say, takes getting used to.
  • Android auto is killed when my wife plugs in her iPhone. Apparently this is a known issue and the only way around it is to install a standard "cigarette lighter" charging port for her to use when I need the Android Auto. Hopefully, they resolve this in the future.
Overall we love the car and believe we made the right choice. Nothing makes winter feel as safe as possible like driving a Subaru.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

The little tiny worthless trunk light is all we get.
However some very creative folks on this board have come up with some really cool solutions to adding some serious light to the rear gate. Those threads will be in the DIY tech sections.,

·
Registered
604 Posts
Welcome, sounds like you got a really great deal!

There should be a12 volt outlet that is kind of hidden back in the center cubby under the HVAC controls where you could plug in a USB charger, my Limited has that outlet so I'd assume all trim levels do.

Getting nearly 18mpg in city driving sounds pretty good on Winter gas.

The accelerator takes some getting used to, one technique some of us use is to keep your foot at a diagonal across the peddle with the side of your shoe against the footwell, this kind of buffers your throttle input with some friction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
  • Android auto is killed when my wife plugs in her iPhone.
I found this out yesterday when I had to plug in my work phone (an iPhone) to charge it and it killed my Android Auto. Needless to say, I decided not to charge my crappy, garbage iPhone. Infuriates me that Subaru would give preference to an inferior product

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
With plenty of charge points, it's not really a physical problem with charging an alternative device. The same issue exists with two iPhones or two Android devices, too. I have a passenger use the middle row charge point for the second device.

I do agree it would be nice for folks to be able to choose which system is "primary/favored". There has to be one that the unit considers top-dog if you think about it or you'd have random, wonky issues as things are connected and disconnected. In this case, it appears they picked one "hard coded" and not the one you prefer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts