Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took it in yesterday for it’s first oil change, rotate and brake job, lol.

I had some pretty gnarley grinding, pulsating and downright unpleasantness coming from the front end from about 2,000mi. Too lazy to get er done before the first oil change.

New front pads and rotors, with specific attention paid to greasing the pads, per the bulletin.

Proactively drove a tech around with me so I wouldn’t get the “unable to replicate” nonsense after wasting hours at the dealer. The tech notes said it was visibly obvious the rotors were warped and defective when it was taken apart.

Feels and sounds so much better already - we’ll see how long it lasts. I love my rig again. Time for a road trip now!

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
Finally took it in yesterday for it’s first oil change, rotate and brake job, lol.

I had some pretty gnarley grinding, pulsating and downright unpleasantness coming from the front end from about 2,000mi. Too lazy to get er done before the first oil change.

New front pads and rotors, with specific attention paid to greasing the pads, per the bulletin.

Proactively drove a tech around with me so I wouldn’t get the “unable to replicate” nonsense after wasting hours at the dealer. The tech notes said it was visibly obvious the rotors were warped and defective when it was taken apart.

Feels and sounds so much better already - we’ll see how long it lasts. I love my rig again. Time for a road trip now!
I am glad they replaced them, instead of grinding them - that gives you longer rotor life, and, 1-2 "resurfacing" opportunities ahead. But, I seriously doubt they were actually warped - I've followed up on hundreds of them so far. The pads glazing in pulses onto the rotors makes them measure as warped.

Mine were one such set, by the way. My originals measured as "warped" - I advised them to check to make sure it wasn't glazing from the pads. It was. They scraped the glazing off doing a light resurfacing, and everything measured perfectly. That was at a little over 22,000 miles. I'm still running on the original rotors - but, since the 52,000 mile mark, I am running on the new revision pads. Things have never been quieter - and they performed as expected a couple weeks ago when I towed through the mountains.

So - that brings up this: the front pads were recently changed (new revision). Since chances are he had to order you a brake kit, you got the newest pads.

I suspect that, other than the normal wet morning condensation oxidation (and related grind off noise), you will be very happy with the new pads. 6,000 miles in, I am.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I am glad they replaced them, instead of grinding them - that gives you longer rotor life, and, 1-2 "resurfacing" opportunities ahead. But, I seriously doubt they were actually warped - I've followed up on hundreds of them so far. The pads glazing in pulses onto the rotors makes them measure as warped.

Mine were one such set, by the way. My originals measured as "warped" - I advised them to check to make sure it wasn't glazing from the pads. It was. They scraped the glazing off doing a light resurfacing, and everything measured perfectly. That was at a little over 22,000 miles. I'm still running on the original rotors - but, since the 52,000 mile mark, I am running on the new revision pads. Things have never been quieter - and they performed as expected a couple weeks ago when I towed through the mountains.

So - that brings up this: the front pads were recently changed (new revision). Since chances are he had to order you a brake kit, you got the newest pads.

I suspect that, other than the normal wet morning condensation oxidation (and related grind off noise), you will be very happy with the new pads. 6,000 miles in, I am.
this brings up the question, at least for me, why would the pads glaze in pulses? What needed to change to avoid this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had mine in today. Same problems. They cleaned, greased, sanded and lightly resurfaced. Great on the drive home! Time will tell!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts