Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard and yes the AWD system is really fantastic and one of the reasons why I went with the Ascent over some of the competitors!
Thank you so much! What are the other vehicles you were considering?

We are hoping this is our first of many Subies.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I looked at almost everything with three rows but had a few requirements one being ground clearance of 7 inches or more, Ventilated Seats, usable third row, and Android Auto.

Vehicles I looked at:
Ford Explorer (Getting old new vehicle due out soon)
Ford Expedition (Too Big for the garage)
Chevy Traverse (Liked the redesign but AWD system is not as good)
Dodge Durango (Good AWD system but really old design)
Audi Q7 (Third row not large enough and no storage)
MB GLS (Expensive to get features I want)
VW Atlas (My wife didn't want a VW possible issue with digital cockpit)
Honda Pilot (Cousin has one and my kids hated the third row)
Toyota (No Android Auto)
Mazda CX9 (No Android Auto and less interior space)

The Subaru was the best balance of features and comforts that we wanted. Plus it has one of the best AWD systems. Most of the vehicles on this list have a very mild AWD system that says not to drive in sand. Were as the Subaru demos they had for the magazines had beach and off road driving. Then you have the fact that Subaru really cares about safety which is important to me.

So far I really like i've only driven it around 250 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it.

Yeah, we felt the same about the other cars, and this was definitely the best option for us. How are you liking your Touring? My wife is not a big fan of the brown interior, so I am hoping it grows on us.

We are moving away from our beloved VW GTI, but we cannot really support a company which is unethical.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got the Limited from Troncalli in Cumming in the same color as you with all the options and 8 seating capacity. I've got 6 kids so that's the only reason I didn't go with the Touring.

I like it. The problem is that I had a 2018 Limited Outback before which was my favorite car to date. It was Tungsten with the Ivory leather interior. The thought was maybe my wife would fall in love with this one (she picked the color) and maybe I could move the family from a Ford Transit to this. Too cramped really for doing 8 all the time. You can really feel the weight too. I'll give it some time. Trying to stay positive right now. :smile_big:

@hallfleming, I am hoping that mine comes in this week or next week at the latest. How are you liking yours? Where did you get it and what trim did you get?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got my Limited+ Magnetite Grey 7 passenger with hitch from Troncalli in Cumming too. Love it! My first Subaru. It’s like driving a spaceship compared to my 10 yo Acura TL. Getting ceramic tint put on the windows and moonroof Friday to block out heat, necessity with the black interior but wasn’t a fan of the Touring Brown interior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Edvald79, awesome! How was the experience at the dealer? We are working with Subaru of Gwinnett, and we love it there. Hope all/most dealers are equally good.

We are moving from our tiny VW GTI, so this will be a big change. Also, this is our first SUV, so there will be a little learning curve.

Yes, the brown interior is not the best (IMHO). But, we are hoping that we love it. We would have preferred the touring with a black/gray interior.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Edvald79, awesome! How was the experience at the dealer? We are working with Subaru of Gwinnett, and we love it there. Hope all/most dealers are equally good.

We are moving from our tiny VW GTI, so this will be a big change. Also, this is our first SUV, so there will be a little learning curve.

Yes, the brown interior is not the best (IMHO). But, we are hoping that we love it. We would have preferred the touring with a black/gray interior.

Dealing with Charlie Saines at Troncalli Subaru was hands down the best car buying experience ever. Smooth, stressfree, no haggling or gouging. Hopefully your experience will be as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealing with Charlie Saines at Troncalli Subaru was hands down the best car buying experience ever. Smooth, stressfree, no haggling or gouging. Hopefully your experience will be as well.
That is awesome. Same with Elizabeth Puckett at Subaru of Gwinnett. We have never had such a great experience at a car dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So glad you worked with Charlie! Next time you see him, mention me Hall! He's a great guy.

·
Registered
597 Posts
@Nemesis099, nice YT channel. I was hoping to see a Ascent review.

Off topic: How do you like the Fenix 5s (my wife loves hers, and I love my Fenix 3 HR)?
I'll hopefully have the review up there next week. Wanted some time so I could really get to know the car a bit better before reviewing.

I like the Fenix 5s good size and pretty good at tracking steps and the GPS feature is great for when I bike.

·
Registered
597 Posts
@Nemesis099, how are you liking the Ascent so far? Any complaints?
So far I really like it. It drives really well and the ride is really smooth. Not over 1K miles so I haven't even gone over 4K RPMs but I have to admit I haven't even needed to.

Things I don't like:
1) The light in the hatch area is on the side instead of above which means it typically gets covered when the third row of seating is up.
2) The Ventilated seats sometimes start out really loud sometimes. I'm not sure but I might need to get it checked out but it doesn't happen all the time.
3) The 3rd row center seat has a belt that comes down from the ceiling which I have found in my prior car is a pain to use and doesn't work as well. Now I know this seat will be used very infrequently as I have 6 other seats but I still would prefer it built into the seat itself.

Things that are different than I'm used to:
1) the seats feel very far away from the doors but I found that many vehicles are now like this. I think it is for side crash tests they needed more space.
2) Keep hands on wheel warning. Sometimes this comes up when I have one hand on the steering wheel but sometimes it doesn't and I'm not sure why.

That is it so far although I'm still very happy with my purchase. There are many more things I like than don't like and the third row is going to get a lot of use with my parents and in-laws living nearby.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far I really like it. It drives really well and the ride is really smooth. Not over 1K miles so I haven't even gone over 4K RPMs but I have to admit I haven't even needed to.

Things I don't like:
1) The light in the hatch area is on the side instead of above which means it typically gets covered when the third row of seating is up.
2) The Ventilated seats sometimes start out really loud sometimes. I'm not sure but I might need to get it checked out but it doesn't happen all the time.
3) The 3rd row center seat has a belt that comes down from the ceiling which I have found in my prior car is a pain to use and doesn't work as well. Now I know this seat will be used very infrequently as I have 6 other seats but I still would prefer it built into the seat itself.

Things that are different than I'm used to:
1) the seats feel very far away from the doors but I found that many vehicles are now like this. I think it is for side crash tests they needed more space.
2) Keep hands on wheel warning. Sometimes this comes up when I have one hand on the steering wheel but sometimes it doesn't and I'm not sure why.

That is it so far although I'm still very happy with my purchase. There are many more things I like than don't like and the third row is going to get a lot of use with my parents and in-laws living nearby.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts