Subaru Ascent Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, if anyone is looking for a class lll hitch for spare tire or bike rack this is perfect, install is a breeze and it does support the 5k towing capacity of the proper trim levels.
I am selling after I realized that I would rather purchase the OEM wiring harness for trailer hook ups. That alone was over $200 so I just ended up buying the complete thing and installing.

I have all the hardware and can potentially meet up but I am already pricing low for pick up.

$100 In San Diego. PM me for more details!

·
Registered
561 Posts
There's a good work-around for the wiring. Here's what I did;
First, I bought a Subaru wiring adapter used to wire out from the built-in socket on the car to a 4-way flat trailer wiring connector found here;

This is the same connector the factory hitch wiring connects to. This connector has more wires on the car side since it's also set up for the 7-pin as well as this 4-pin. So what I did was I took a volt meter to determine the remaining 3 pins needed and used this adaptor;

This adapter connects the 4-pin now wired to the car and splits it out to a 4-pin AND a 7-pin with the additional wires pig-tailed out. Take the loose wires and connect them to the car at the car's connector with wire taps.
I also wired the hot lead back straight to the battery just to have more current capacity but not required.

Total cost under $55

Done!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a good work-around for the wiring. Here's what I did;
First, I bought a Subaru wiring adapter used to wire out from the built-in socket on the car to a 4-way flat trailer wiring connector found here;

This is the same connector the factory hitch wiring connects to. This connector has more wires on the car side since it's also set up for the 7-pin as well as this 4-pin. So what I did was I took a volt meter to determine the remaining 3 pins needed and used this adaptor;

This adapter connects the 4-pin now wired to the car and splits it out to a 4-pin AND a 7-pin with the additional wires pig-tailed out. Take the loose wires and connect them to the car at the car's connector with wire taps.
I also wired the hot lead back straight to the battery just to have more current capacity but not required.

Total cost under $55

Done!
Dang! That’s the way to go economic! I was surprised at how a wiring harness could be priced at over $200, but since OEM hitch actually bolted onto the frame rails rather than a better bumper beam like the drawtite design, I decided to go for it. Now just have to see who needs it. Could also be a heavy duty garage mount to hang you 2” accessories ?. Thanks for the info @SkiPro3

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hopefully my info will encourage someone to go forward with purchasing yours, now that they know there is an option for 7 pin. 4 pin is, of course, just the first link i attached. Many won't need the 7 pin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.