Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is it me, or does this article seem to end a little abruptly?

They've had the Ascent for 2 months, put on over 6800 miles... and the only comment is about the fuel economy when pulling a 3500lb trailer?

I expected a page 2, or a "click here to read more", or something... it just seems to end?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Test numbers are unreal for power/weight and size of the vehicle (except fuel economy...). Accelerating, braking and cornering are comparable (and better) that my 2015 XT that is 1000lb lighter and running on premium. If they tested Mazda, I would be suspicious since C&D favors them and they usually have bias against Subaru's performance. Really great job Subaru

·
Registered
561 Posts
It managed that moderate load without much drama aside from being pushed around by the wake of full-size pickups, but our fuel economy during the excursion plummeted to 7 mpg. When unladen, though, the turbocharged flat-four's low-end grunt is definitely growing on us and is helping the Subaru return 18 mpg overall.

7mpg....WTF. I tow close to 4,800lbs and get double that on the highway. Not sure how's that is possible

·
Registered
920 Posts
It managed that moderate load without much drama aside from being pushed around by the wake of full-size pickups, but our fuel economy during the excursion plummeted to 7 mpg. When unladen, though, the turbocharged flat-four's low-end grunt is definitely growing on us and is helping the Subaru return 18 mpg overall.

7mpg....WTF. I tow close to 4,800lbs and get double that on the highway. Not sure how's that is possible
I'm towing 4,700lbs and getting 14-16mpg.

I towed 3,500lbs and got 16mpg while climbing 3000 ft!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Absurd!!!

I'm towing 4,700lbs and getting 14-16mpg.

I towed 3,500lbs and got 16mpg while climbing 3000 ft!

I third this. Absurd. I also double the mpg they got while I was towing around 4,300 pounds.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The trailer was 3500 lbs. Then add the weight of the snowmobile and gear. They could have easily exceeded the 5,000 lb rating. They did not say if the trailer had a V nose or not.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is it me, or does this article seem to end a little abruptly?

They've had the Ascent for 2 months, put on over 6800 miles... and the only comment is about the fuel economy when pulling a 3500lb trailer?

I expected a page 2, or a "click here to read more", or something... it just seems to end?

I'm guessing that there will be more content added to the article as time goes on. It's about adding the Ascent to their "long term" test fleet, but the last section only discusses first impressions. My impression is that the Ascent was added relatively recently and that as their long term test progresses they will report on what they observe.

·
Registered
418 Posts
7MPG is semi pulling 45klb... 80klb gross weight...
You're absolutely right. That's the kind of MPG I got back when I was hauling giant rolls of paper (very very heavy) up over the mountains along rt 40 between TN and NC. Can't imagine how they saw that in the Ascent unless they were hauling more capacity than the thing is rated for.... while stoplight drag racing.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Here's another article, which finds the Ascent in the element many of you thrive on, as Subaru owners.

https://www.trucks.com/adventure_drives/testing-trucks-bikes-racks-santa-cruz/

"The Ascent gets decent fuel economy — 22 mpg in combined city and highway driving — out of its turbocharged 260-horsepower horizontally opposed 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine. That gives the vehicle a 425-mile range, the best of the group...

The interior was comfortable and nice, but the build quality could have been better. The Trucks.com team and mountain bikers noticed that the seams between the dash panels were not spaced evenly. There was a bit too much shiny plastic around the center console, which diminished the otherwise upscale feel of the cabin
."

·
Registered
920 Posts
7MPG is semi pulling 45klb... 80klb gross weight...

My GMC 2500 pulling a 10k lb fifth wheel got 11mpg :D

It's almost like they were doing acceleration pulls while towing! Or heck, maybe they were going 85 or something. That's insane!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're absolutely right. That's the kind of MPG I got back when I was hauling giant rolls of paper (very very heavy) up over the mountains along rt 40 between TN and NC. Can't imagine how they saw that in the Ascent unless they were hauling more capacity than the thing is rated for.... while stoplight drag racing.
Drivers hate picking up in those paper roll companies (Canton NC, Waynesville NC, East Flat Rock NC, Hendersonville NC...)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Drivers hate picking up in those paper roll companies (Canton NC, Waynesville NC, East Flat Rock NC, Hendersonville NC...)
Tell me about it. Unfortunately, the company I worked for at the time had International Paper as one of their biggest customers. My rig would be so heavy I was overweight if I filled the fuel tank. I had to run her from half full tanks until I could deliver the dang load.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The 7mpg is likely the extreme case, representative of the aggressive tune for low end torque. They did say that it returned to “18mpg”, imply that’s their average mpg while hauling the heavy load <<—- some may praise that as godsend!!!

It’s a good article. The writing isn’t friendly and similar style as the modern day political news-type.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ascent Forums gang...mount up!

Sounds like it is time for the Ascent Forums gang to go full throttle and issue multiple letters to the editor! #SubiesOffended

·
Registered
26 Posts
Um this is a lie as far my Ascent goes! It gets about the same gas mileage my big 8 cylinder 455 hp X5 gets! Only difference is I can put regular in the Subaru, theX5 has to have the highest octane. It did a little better on the highway with a full load on vacation, but I wouldn’t call it great for a 4 cyl even with the turbo. Also mine really hesitates, not sure if I’m just used my 8 cyl or if they all hesitate. I won’t be getting another Ascent unless they improve them a lot in the next 39 months, and why 39 months Subaru??? To sell me the warranty for the extra 3 months? I didn’t buy it... I will trade it well before 36 month mark I think!?!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I did post my results in the comments section for the article!

Added in that I got 16mpg towing 4,500lbs from Phoenix to Joshua Tree and back! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.