Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my ascent into the dealership to look at the brakes and to install new tires (upgraded to all terrains because I take it into the woods a lot) and they said that the 2020 ascents had problems with their brake pads so they replaced them with a newer brake pad, or so they say. They said there’s a complaint around about pads wearing and the fix is some newer brake pads.
Has anyone had problems with their stock brake pads?
I know I’ve towed my trailer around 10 locations this year with the ascent but I didn’t think that pads would wear that fast!

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Hi, as far as I know, the problem isn't the pads wearing. Mine lasted 52,000 miles with towing. The problem is a vibration and/or screech they cause when they don't bed properly.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
There's definitely a new pad design, and it's definitely different, and, it seems to end the noise. 16,000 miles on my new pads so far.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Join the club. Our 2019 got replaced at 16k new pad design (so I was told), no more noise
Ditto at 16K PLUS the dealership replaced the front rotors. Said they were warped out .5mm. I use my brakes hard driving mountian highway to/from ski resorts last winter. Felt it some then, but during the summer, never felt it. This winter it came back. Service department told me that the slush chills the rotor uneven with the area between fins that separate the two rotors cooling faster than the bridging between them due to their mass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have trailer brakes and haven’t had a problem really.
Subaru just got back and as I was driving away I hear this screeching like my rotors are braking like a chalk board.
They took my car back and said something is wrong with my suspension.
I called Subaru customer service and requested a lemon law. Something is wrong with my car. They asked me if I wanted a 2021 instead. I told them I want my money back. Thinking about a F250.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have trailer brakes and haven’t had a problem really.
Subaru just got back and as I was driving away I hear this screeching like my rotors are braking like a chalk board.
They took my car back and said something is wrong with my suspension.
I called Subaru customer service and requested a lemon law. Something is wrong with my car. They asked me if I wanted a 2021 instead. I told them I want my money back. Thinking about a F250.
I would go with a truck for sure if I towed all the time, why not.. more towing power, bigger and better brakes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There's definitely a new pad design, and it's definitely different, and, it seems to end the noise. 16,000 miles on my new pads so far.
I had breaks and rotors replaced around the 5k mark wraped and break vibration. Had similar issues later on around the 13k mark and had the pads replaced, with new design, and rotors resurfaced. So far so good.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
I'm perfectly fine at 23k miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I took my ascent into the dealership to look at the brakes and to install new tires (upgraded to all terrains because I take it into the woods a lot) and they said that the 2020 ascents had problems with their brake pads so they replaced them with a newer brake pad, or so they say. They said there’s a complaint around about pads wearing and the fix is some newer brake pads.
Has anyone had problems with their stock brake pads?
I know I’ve towed my trailer around 10 locations this year with the ascent but I didn’t think that pads would wear that fast!
I just took my 2019 Ascent in (16,000miles) and complained about squeezing brakes and the dealer changed the pads. Must be a known thing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So they heard the squeak noise from my tranny. Brought it in. Service provider says the bulletin to not replace the transmission.
I really want to claim lemon law on the tranny but they won’t fix it. Thoughts? Advice?
Kentucky law says that 4 attempts to fix must happen within 12k miles but they won’t fix it? Sound wasn’t there when we bought it so how can they not attempt to fix the sound?

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
So they heard the squeak noise from my tranny. Brought it in. Service provider says the bulletin to not replace the transmission.
I really want to claim lemon law on the tranny but they won’t fix it. Thoughts? Advice?
Kentucky law says that 4 attempts to fix must happen within 12k miles but they won’t fix it? Sound wasn’t there when we bought it so how can they not attempt to fix the sound?
What squeak is it making and when?

• Squeak when shifting from park to reverse to drive (or vice versa) when the car hasn't been running for a bit, is normal.
  • Screech of metal chain slip with RPM jumps while driving is something else entirely - and not normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Squeak from putting it in park. You say it’s normal. I say it didn’t come like that so how is that normal. I don’t understand how this tranny makes this noise. If I bought it and it made that noise coming off the lot then I’d say yes that’s normal.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Squeak from putting it in park. You say it’s normal. I say it didn’t come like that so how is that normal. I don’t understand how this tranny makes this noise. If I bought it and it made that noise coming off the lot then I’d say yes that’s normal.
You may not like the sound, but, if it's the sound you hear in my video, it IS normal. Weather (eg: winter vs summer), use (eg: how long it sat for the system to depressurize) and break in all affect the chirp.

It's not just me saying it's normal. It's a "gazillion" times this has come up during the last decade. It's vehicles that have been tested, all to find out that the system is "surge filling" itself, as designed, which causes a chirp. Mine still happily chirps at 68,688 very abusive miles.

Please don't let a normal sound worry you.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
Squeak from putting it in park. You say it’s normal. I say it didn’t come like that so how is that normal.
It's normal and well documented as such for a very long time.

Edit...I see Robert already responded with many more details.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.