Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Redarc has released a new controller called the Redarc Tow-Pro Liberty. It appears to be exactly the same as the "Elite" except for these three features:

1. Liberty can only do 12V, while the Elite can also do 24V
2. Liberty can only handle up to 2 axles, while the Elite can handle up to 3
3. Liberty only has proportional mode, while the Elite also has "manual mode"

I can only find it available on etrailer and it is listed for $135, while the elite is listed for $208.

The camper that I ordered several months ago will finally be ready on September 25, and I need to get a brake controller by then. I have been really struggling with this decision as I want to have a fully functional brake controller that will not turn into shrapnel if the airbags go off, and I really do not want to drill into my Ascent to mount something.

I'm currently planning to get this Liberty model and just zip tie the box and only connect the rj45 cable and the knob when I'm pulling a trailer. I plan to just "place" the knob in the left side of the dash as shown in the "temporary" solution here: Ascent - Trailer brake install Redarc Tow-Pro Elite

I was really tempted by the Curt Echo Wireless controller. However, I already have the wiring harness in the vehicle to connect a controller, and the 7-pin mount of the Echo looked very unstable. If they made that model in something more like the Tow-Pro, using bluetooth, I would be all in.

This post is partly to inform about the new product, but mostly to solicit advice to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Link to Liberty on etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Redarc/RED24FR.html
Link comparing the two models on trucktrend.com: http://assets.trucktrend.com/upload...-Brake-Controller-02.jpg?width=660&height=495

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was told and a lot of folks on the forum agreed that manual brake control is highly recommended. See here: Brake controller dilemma - 2020 Premium

" I really do not want to drill into my Ascent to mount something."
I had similar requirement, this is the setup I went with.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
AFAIK, all controllers allow applying the brakes manually. This is necessary for safety. The manual mode in the Elite is a separate feature that allows you to set a fixed level of braking that's applied to the trailer whenever the vehicle brakes are applied rather than the normal braking, which is proportional to the amount of vehicle braking. Personally, I'd go with the Liberty since on the Ascent I wouldn't need 24V, 3 axles, or the Elite's manual mode.

In any case, the control should be mounted where it can be easily and reliably accessed in situations where manual braking of the trailer might be needed, such as sway developing, trailer getting out of line in slippery conditions, impending jackknifing, etc..

·
Registered
609 Posts
You should also consider the tekonsha prodigy rf. It goes on the trailer a frame and a handheld controller plugs into the 12v power port when you are towing. The handheld has a brake boost and level on it. It works really well and requires no wiring in the vehicle. And iirc its cheaper than the standard tekonsha p3.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts