Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new Ascent in June 2019 . Within weeks began to notice puffy blue exhaust fumes every so often at start up ( generally at 1st start of day). Additionally , upon sudden acceleration @ around 100kms (60mph) to pass a car , same blue smoke was occasionally noticed . Took into dealer for early oil change 4000km (2400mi.) and documented issue. Car was already warmed up . Dealer said they could not reproduce the effect I described but curiously , they showed little to no concern about my problem .Since the time of my oil change and after having time to think about their response , it seems to me that they must be aware of the issue and that it is an integral part of the engine design . They seemed to choose not to comment on my concern. What I'm hoping is that it is not a fatal flaw and in that regard , continue to search anywhere for some degree of comfort. Its a great vehicle and I can tolerate the oil puffs issue if is just an unfortunate by-product of a otherwise well functioning engine system.......Not really good promo for brand new SUBURU. Hopefully someone is working on a solution. Any thoughts...anyone.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Bought new Ascent in June 2019 . Within weeks began to notice puffy blue exhaust fumes every so often at start up ( generally at 1st start of day). Additionally , upon sudden acceleration @ around 100kms (60mph) to pass a car , same blue smoke was occasionally noticed . Took into dealer for early oil change 4000km (2400mi.) and documented issue. Car was already warmed up . Dealer said they could not reproduce the effect I described but curiously , they showed little to no concern about my problem .Since the time of my oil change and after having time to think about their response , it seems to me that they must be aware of the issue and that it is an integral part of the engine design . They seemed to choose not to comment on my concern. What I'm hoping is that it is not a fatal flaw and in that regard , continue to search anywhere for some degree of comfort. Its a great vehicle and I can tolerate the oil puffs issue if is just an unfortunate by-product of a otherwise well functioning engine system.......Not really good promo for brand new SUBURU. Hopefully someone is working on a solution. Any thoughts...anyone.
search the forum with the term "blue smoke"

·
Registered
4 Posts
We bought our Ascent 11 months ago. About 6 weeks after purchasing the car I noticed a huge plume of smoke coming out of my car when starting it. The smoke lingers in the air. Sometimes it has a strong odor. Sometimes it is grey sometimes white. I have taken several videos. I went to the dealership who sold me the car. They told me I was putting in the wrong gas. I should not be using 87 even though that is what the owners manual says, but only using Shell or Cheveron 91. They said it would go away...it didn't so I took it to another dealer, showed them another video. They told me that is what happens with a box engine and is normal. It DOES NOT look normal. We asked other friends who have the Ascent and their cars do not do that. So we took it in the 3rd time, I was finally told it was a known problem, but not to worry that the vapors coming out were water...water doesn't smell like that. They said there will be a recall soon. They asked while I was there if they could perform the recall on my car. I said yes, turns out my car 9 months old at the time needs a NEW TRANSMISSION. This was 2 months ago. Yesterday while parked and vacuuming my car. My car started beeping uncontrollably and then just died. AAA had to try to jump it 4 times. The battery was completely drained. What qualifies for lemon law? I do not want this car anymore. Anyone else having the same problems?

·
Registered
23 Posts
As packout has stated, do a forum search on blue smoke, then contact Subaru of America or Subaru of Canada, whichever applies to your country, and start a trouble ticket # with them. They will contact you usually by the next day and work as a go-between with you and your dealer. It took us months of tests and videos but we finally received a new engine and an extended warranty from Subaru. I know it’s frustrating, but there are steps and tests that have to be done in order to rule out possible causes for the smoke. Subaru WILL stand behind their product. Believe me, I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@TN Katie thank you! It looks like you went through the exact thing we have been going through-my car is not tied to the PCV recall, calling the dealer to get it checked out again. Along with the battery...I will call Subaru to start a ticket as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As packout has stated, do a forum search on blue smoke, then contact Subaru of America or Subaru of Canada, whichever applies to your country, and start a trouble ticket # with them. They will contact you usually by the next day and work as a go-between with you and your dealer. It took us months of tests and videos but we finally received a new engine and an extended warranty from Subaru. I know it’s frustrating, but there are steps and tests that have to be done in order to rule out possible causes for the smoke. Subaru WILL stand behind their product. Believe me, I know.
Very curious to hear what SOA or SOC offered you on the warranty extension?

I have been waiting since January for the Service Manager to come back with a response from Subaru of Canada on what they will offer warranty wise and cash wise - purchased the car in Jan 2019 - and have brought the car in over 5 times between May and Nov of 2019 for the plume issue - huge inconvenience especially that they didn't have an Ascent loaner until the time in November's when they had the car for 2 months for the new engine installation.

No Lemon law in Quebec/Canada - wish there was as this is radiculous for a car barely a year old

·
Registered
3,727 Posts

I have been waiting since January for the Service Manager to come back with a response from Subaru of Canada on what they will offer warranty wise and cash wise - purchased the car in Jan 2019 - and have brought the car in over 5 times between May and Nov of 2019 for the plume issue - huge inconvenience especially that they didn't have an Ascent loaner until the time in November's when they had the car for 2 months for the new engine installation.

No Lemon law in Quebec/Canada - wish there was as this is radiculous for a car barely a year old
As with any problem issue, as Subaru sees the issue arising in multiple vehicles and learn more about the issue, they can begin to respond with increased clarity, certainty and faster.

·
Registered
23 Posts

They offered us a choice between 8 year/120,000 or 10 year/100,000. We took the 10 year warranty because we don’t drive a lot of miles and plan on keeping the car (hopefully) for a long time. Just keep the faith, Subaru will take care of you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.