Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered a new Subaru Ascent Touring in black and picked it up December 21st. The car is amazing but it needs a wash badly.

Is it too soon to use a touch-free automatic "laser"car wash? Will the high pressure hurt anything? The car is in Park and the wash arms move around the car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
Modern finishes used on vehicles cure quickly. No worries. I use "brushless" but not "touchless" and have never, ever had a problem with a vehicle finish getting noticeably damaged. Then again, It's one of the few things I'm NOT anal about anyway. I cheerfully paid my $4 for a basic wash yesterday while I was out on an errand, as a matter of fact.

Since you are a new owners, please pay attention to the instructions for going through a car wash...you must disable the anti-collision system (press and hold the button up on the center control panel on the roof (the one toward the passenger side) until the lamp lights on the dash indicating it's off and turn off your auto wiper if your vehicle is equipped with it. Reverse to re-enable once you're through the wash.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Also, lock your doors. It prevents the pressure from the wash opening the gas filler door.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
lol, especially in the roller car washes where the attendant drives it onto the rollers. I feign no experience in that matter. 😉 🤣

·
Registered
196 Posts
I actually own a car wash and have several family members with them. I not an expert with it as it is a side hustle, but I do have some thoughts.

• Using a soft-touch should be fine, but make sure to go somewhere you are confident it is well maintained. If it is a smaller and/or slightly run-down place only use it if it is touch free. The reason is grime can accumulate on the brushes and damage the paint.
  • Soft-touch will usually get a better overall clean with the exception of caked on mud/dirt. High pressure touch-less is better for that.
  • If you live in a snowy region make sure you are getting a good undercarriage spray down regularly. This will prevent a LOT of issues with rust.
  • If it is a tunnel make sure you have all of the automated saftey features turned off that need to be (consult the manual) and be sure to be in neutral. I once went through a tunnel shortly after getting my prius and realized I had no idea how to shift it to neutral with the prius' crazy shifter. Apparently you had to hold it in the neutral slot for a second.
  • Most modern cars you don't need to worry too much about damage since few things stick out (no long antenna). Since you have a touring go ahead and press the button to fold in the mirrors, but it really isn't needed on a mid-size SUV. Only usually a problem on super big trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.