Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Touring in Abyss Blue Pearl
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently purchased this Ascent and love it for the most part, but having some issues. CVT on flat land acts normal and does what I feel it should, but going up a hill at 3 degrees or more is when it gets weird. If I am accelerating its seems OK, but if I let up on the accelerator (going from 1/3 depressed to 1/8) to maintain the 30MPH speed limit, the car drops in speed while the RPM goes way up. Feels like a clutch slipping - if I had a clutch. It will go from 30MPH and drop quickly to 20MPH while the RPM goes from 1800RPM up to 4000RPM.

However if you press the accelerator a bunch more, RPM drops back to 2000RPM and the car will accelerate again. It's very difficult to maintain speed on a hill. I am constantly pressing on the accelerator and letting off while speed is fluctuating between 20-30 and RPM between 2000 and 4000.

I am about to take this car in to be looked at because the front left suspension clunks really badly when going over a sharp bump, the rear brakes squeak like they are worn out, but the CVT doesn't seem right to act like that.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Hello All,

I recently purchased this Ascent and love it for the most part, but having some issues. CVT on flat land acts normal and does what I feel it should, but going up a hill at 3 degrees or more is when it gets weird. If I am accelerating its seems OK, but if I let up on the accelerator (going from 1/3 depressed to 1/8) to maintain the 30MPH speed limit, the car drops in speed while the RPM goes way up. Feels like a clutch slipping - if I had a clutch. It will go from 30MPH and drop quickly to 20MPH while the RPM goes from 1800RPM up to 4000RPM.

However if you press the accelerator a bunch more, RPM drops back to 2000RPM and the car will accelerate again. It's very difficult to maintain speed on a hill. I am constantly pressing on the accelerator and letting off while speed is fluctuating between 20-30 and RPM between 2000 and 4000.

I am about to take this car in to be looked at because the front left suspension clunks really badly when going over a sharp bump, the rear brakes squeak like they are worn out, but the CVT doesn't seem right to act like that.
It appears that you have some good information to provide the dealer to assist them to take care of the issues. Have them supply you with a loaner and they should readily be able to take care of these problems while you put mileage on their car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts