Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new 2020 Ascent Premium owner and new to the forum. This is our 4th Subaru and certainly the fanciest! I have a couple of questions.

First is about the Android Auto. I read that you can use it wirelessly through the Wifi. Is the Ascent capable of doing this? And if so, how? I don't have any intention to activate the data plan for the hotspot.

My second question is I have a bike ride that hangs off the rear gate which I've had for years. Should I not use this with the power rear gate? Do I just need to get the hitch and a hitch mounted rack? We plan to eventually, we were just trying to hold off for a bit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Welcome! To your first question, no, Android Auto cannot be used wireless...at least not out of the box/factory. I understand there are some modules that you can buy (aftermarket) that plug into the car, and then your phone can connect wireless to the module (which is plugged into the car), but I haven't tried any of these. You can access some things through your phone via Bluetooth (BT) from the car. For example, the Pandora app on the head unit needs a phone to connect to the internet (or the data plan, perhaps), and that will connect to your phone through BT. That's the configuration I use most often -- you can have the in-car navigation going (if equipped) and also listen to Pandora through the phone, without needing to take the phone out of your pocket.

I couldn't say about the bike rack; I'm sure others have more experience here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! To your first question, no, Android Auto cannot be used wireless...at least not out of the box/factory. I understand there are some modules that you can buy (aftermarket) that plug into the car, and then your phone can connect wireless to the module (which is plugged into the car), but I haven't tried any of these. You can access some things through your phone via Bluetooth (BT) from the car. For example, the Pandora app on the head unit needs a phone to connect to the internet (or the data plan, perhaps), and that will connect to your phone through BT. That's the configuration I use most often -- you can have the in-car navigation going (if equipped) and also listen to Pandora through the phone, without needing to take the phone out of your pocket.

I couldn't say about the bike rack; I'm sure others have more experience here.
Thanks. The reason I ask about the wireless is because Google support has directions to do it if the car is able.
Set up your Android Auto app - Android Auto Help

"The first time you connect your phone to the car, you are required to pair your phone and car via Bluetooth. Make sure to turn on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on your phone. Turn on your car. Make sure your car is in park (P) and that you have time to set up Android Auto.
  1. Unlock your phone's screen.
  2. Pair your phone and car via bluetooth.
  3. Your phone might ask you to download or update certain apps, like Google Maps.
  4. Review the Safety Information and Android Auto permissions to access your apps.
  5. Turn on notifications for Android Auto. For the best experience, we recommend accepting all requests"
So I guess I was trying to see if anyone has done it on the 2020 and if I would need to pay for the data since it sounds like the wireless works through the Wifi system.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
I understand there are some modules that you can buy (aftermarket) that plug into the car, and then your phone can connect wireless to the module (which is plugged into the car), but I haven't tried any of these.
I don't believe there are any adapters for AA or CP that are currently available to work on the Subaru vehicles.

----
OP, AndroidAuto (and CarPlay) require the mobile device to be tethered via USB to the head unit. There is no support for the wireless connection...which is not unusual. Very few vehicles support the wireless connectivity at the present time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.