Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2020 Ascent and after reading this forum I wish I did not. The CVT transmission is very worrisome to me. After reading lots of posts of how bad it is, I went back to the dealer and changed my purchase to a lease, you see the car hasn't even arrived at the dealership yet. They were okay with this, but the more I read about this transmission problem, the more scared I am to drive it, especially on long trips, which is why we purchased it. Does anyone know if it is at all possible to get out of a lease with a car that hasn't even reached the dealership yet?

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you haven't received the vehicle then you haven't actually done anything besides put a deposit down, I haven't heard of being able to buy or lease a car without it being physically at the dealership.

Having said that I think you are worrying for nothing, the odds almost 0 that you will have any issue with the transmission on your Ascent. These forums exist to connect owners and they also magnify problems with any car, with sales of Ascents closing in on 100k vehicles there is guaranteed to be problems here and there. But even if 1000 ascent transmissions went bad that is still 1% of total sales so you are still 99% likely to get a perfectly reliable one.

Food for thought. You should break out the paperwork you signed and read it, you will probably find your answer. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well apparently the one we wanted is the one a lot of folks also want. We are waiting for a white limited with ivory leather and panoramic roof. It’s on a truck on the way to the dealership, so in order to get it we have to pay for it before it arrives. Weird, I know.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Relying on an Internet forum for quality information is going to provide you with a massively skewed view of reality. Why? People come online to complain at a significantly higher percentage than folks who come online to praise...the latter are out driving their vehicles with smiles on their faces.

The specific CVT in the Ascent is not new. It's has ten years of real world use. While a few folks with Ascents have had issues with the CVT, most often, the problem was a wiring harness, not the transmission, itself. Also, a lot of the affected vehicles were built in a specific, short timer period in the fall of 2018.

Every vehicle from every manufacturer can and does have issues, particularly in the first year of production. The Ascent you buy now is not first year production.

Enjoy your new Ascent when it arrives!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
I've never done a lease, but I assume that you can end it at any time according to the terms of the agreement. I suppose you really are asking if you can you walk away at this point without paying anything. Depends on the dealer. If it's an "in-demand" trim and color, maybe so. But I'd be surprised if they didn't expect some compensation for time and effort.

Do you mean "bad" as in unreliable and breaks down? Or "bad" as in some people don't like the way it works?

I recommend you pay attention to the timeline of the transmission failures. There is even a spreadsheet compilation somewhere in the forum. It seems to me that the frequency of complaints has decreased substantially over time.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I've never done a lease, but I assume that you can end it at any time according to the terms of the agreement.
No, you cannot simply end a lease at any time, at least not without consequences. A lease (which is a long term rental in the context of a vehicle) is for a specific period of time, typically 3 years (which coincidentally is about the same as typical OEM warranties) with monthly payments based on the expected depreciation plus a money factor for profit. If you want to end a lease prior to the end, you need to pay off the lease (buy it out) and then either keep it or sell it. In some cases, you may be able to trade it in on another vehicle, but the value of the unpaid remaining lease obligation is still going to factor into the deal. It may or may not be favorably affected by better current value, depending on a bunch of things. One other aspect of leasing is important to remember...a lease contract allows for a certain number of miles per year/total-for-the-length-of-the-lease as that figures into the expected retained value after depreciation. (called the residual) If one goes over the allowable milage, there is a pre-determined per-mile cost that one has to pay at the end of the lease to compensate the lessor for the lower value/higher depreciation that the mileage causes.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
666 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Ascent and after reading this forum I wish I did not. The CVT transmission is very worrisome to me. After reading lots of posts of how bad it is, I went back to the dealer and changed my purchase to a lease, you see the car hasn't even arrived at the dealership yet. They were okay with this, but the more I read about this transmission problem, the more scared I am to drive it, especially on long trips, which is why we purchased it. Does anyone know if it is at all possible to get out of a lease with a car that hasn't even reached the dealership yet?
Of all the CVT transmissions issues I have seen, Subaru worries me the least. Read up on some other manufacturer horror stories.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
There is absolutely no way I would put more than a "deposit" down to hold a vehicle. That dealer should be able to "hold" the vehicle for the first person to place a deposit down and that deposit should be refundable. I would be very suspicious of any dealer that makes me purchase the vehicle before it is even on the lot.

You mentioned that you changed your order from a "purchase" to a "lease." It is highly unlikely that you actually purchased the vehicle or you would not have been able to do that. Do you already have a loan or paid for it in cash? If not, then you don't actually own the car and you can back out of the deal at any time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts