Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'd posted this earlier, made a change to add Premium & my post disappeared, so I'm re-posting this same post again. Hopefully the first won't reappear after awhile.
--------------

Nice to be here & thanks to the host for the add. My Gen 3 Outback is power-train wise, solid as a rock but thanks to a full grown Bambi crossing the road, it met a guard rail and even though only superficial body damage, it's going to have to be sold. I today bought a certified 2019 Ascent Premium with 48K miles on it, getting the tiny dings & scrapes, leather upholstery installed and the towing package added before I pick it up next week.

I really like the car or I wouldn't have bought it. The only negative is the road test with a 2019 Honda passport; the Passport has a far better better lane centering feature than the Ascent. Much less ping-ponging from left to right in the lane than the Ascent has & the Ascent seems to cross over/into the lines on the left in a way that scares me & I'm sure the other drivers beside me. Because of that problem I'll probably not use that centering feature that much on interstates, but the difference in quality of function was indeed immediately noticeable.

The Ascent handles better and I've always loved my other two Subarus. I'll be towing about 3K in weight which my 05 Bean with the 250HP 6 cylinders does fine, but with the 5K towing ability in the Ascent, it'll be all the better.

Nice to meet everyone.

Gary

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
469 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. The 2019 and 2020 Ascent have lane keep assist which will nudge you back into your lane of it senses you crossing the line. 2021+ includes lane centering on top of that.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
469 Posts
This thread had a good explanation

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Folks, thank you for the replies.

The salesperson didn't seem to know what I was talking about and kept referring to what I now know of as lane assist. Another salesperson nearby at the dealers didn't seem to know of lane centering either. I asked service if that was an upgrade option at Subaru & that was a no.

I don't have buyer's remorse, I really like the Ascent but I am frequently drawn back memory-wise to the cleverness and potential use of the lane centering of that Honda Passport. It was like being on a slot car raceway going down the interstate and it felt very safe the way it centered itself in the proper lane. It would be a real asset in hauling a camper like I will be doing summers.

Now to find towing mirrors for this nice car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts