Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week we bought an Ascent Touring. Primarily because we were having an issue with another Subaru, and just didn't want to deal with the non-sense.

That being said, we've been keeping an eye out on the Ascent.

Things we like

- Lots of cameras: the forward camera, the rear view mirror camera, and the updated backup camera that actually helps you figure where the car is going
- Mucho cup holders*
- Apple Car Play
- A Navi system powered by Tom Tom
- Lots of information displays, and an upper dash display that gives you the time and temp (our Outback got moved to the lower dashboard... safety issue anyone?)
- Leather seats
- Heated seats
- COOLED seats
- Blue paint job
- Decent pick up when you step on the gas

(We're still discovering stuff...)

Things we're not fond of

- *Absolutely poorly designed cup holders! I mean, they give you enough of them, and THEY DON'T FIT ANY CUPS YOUR GOING TO SEE IN THE WILD. Dunkin Doughnuts, Starbucks, Panera Bread, McDonalds, Burger King, that Greek place down the road... NONE OF THEM! It's like they were specifically designed to make sure you spill a drink cup while even lightly cornering. They are so bad, it's a safety concern. If you put a cup in the door holders, it crushes the cup and it spills. If you put a cup in the dash, it's extremely likely that it'll not be a good fit, and over it goes. Seriously, when you spend $45k (after taxes) on a car, you expect little things like this to actually be well thought out. (My 2013 Outback had spring loaded cup holders for the front two seats... and they worked without fail. It appears that Subaru didn't want to spend $4.00 and keep people safe. Yeah, it's actually that bad...)

- The rear bench seat needs to be folded down in order to use the privacy screen. This is a bit odd, as then anyone who's looking into you Ascent can see right down the middle and look at what's in your car. So why bother having a privacy screen for the rear door area?!?! Makes no sense...

- Starlink talks to the mother ship, and Subaru doesn't give you a list of what telemetry they are storing. For example: Do you really want anyone knowing where you car has been, and where you're going? I guarantee that when faced with a court order, they'll give law enforcement everything they have. (I know what you're thinking: "Man, that's really paranoid." However, it's only paranoid if it never happens... )

- Starlink doesn't have an opt out option... specifically, if you decide you don't want it, Subaru never actually tells you they are not still collecting data from your car.

That's all I've got for now...

·
Registered
88 Posts
- Starlink talks to the mother ship, and Subaru doesn't give you a list of what telemetry they are storing. For example: Do you really want anyone knowing where you car has been, and where you're going? I guarantee that when faced with a court order, they'll give law enforcement everything they have. (I know what you're thinking: "Man, that's really paranoid." However, it's only paranoid if it never happens... )

- Starlink doesn't have an opt out option... specifically, if you decide you don't want it, Subaru never actually tells you they are not still collecting data from your car.
Oh man, yeah when my wife learned about this AFTER we bought her the car and she was pretty upset. She was a little bit more happy that the dealer had not enabled the Starlink complimentary service (I was looking at it via mysubaru site myself) and then 2 days after we bought the car our sales guy sends us an email that he did us a "favor" and signed us up for the free 3-year trial :tango_face_surprise Wife was upset he enabled it AND had the capability to do so or even access our account. I was upset because it locked us out of buying the longer term discounted service from the start. Versus my wife, I am a little bit more OK with it but yeah, still not completely happy with the capability they have (read through ALL of the privacy and terms of service) even if you decide not to use the service.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man, yeah when my wife learned about this AFTER we bought her the car and she was pretty upset. She was a little bit more happy that the dealer had not enabled the Starlink complimentary service (I was looking at it via mysubaru site myself) and then 2 days after we bought the car our sales guy sends us an email that he did us a "favor" and signed us up for the free 3-year trial :tango_face_surprise Wife was upset he enabled it AND had the capability to do so or even access our account. I was upset because it locked us out of buying the longer term discounted service from the start. Versus my wife, I am a little bit more OK with it but yeah, still not completely happy with the capability they have (read through ALL of the privacy and terms of service) even if you decide not to use the service.
Imagine if you consulted for highly security conscience companies? My wife niw drives the Ascent and I drive her 2013 2.5 Legacy. Man, that car can barely get out of its own way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts