Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just purchased a 2019 Ascent Premium to replace her 2013 CX9 ... I had doubts because of some of the issues I have read about, but it was certified and I went ahead and upgraded to the gold warranty. She really wanted to buy it. It was a dealer courtesy vehicle with 7,000 miles on it.

We are impressed with how it handles, though I'm not really a fan of all the driver assist technology.

We are looking to add a hitch and foglights to it. I've always used Subaru Online Parts before, but $100 shipping is a bit much. Has anyone used New England Subaru? They are just a bit more, but with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
@jbayless71 try eBay for parts. I got a good deal on my hitch there and I’ve been eyeing the fog lights.
Welcome to the group and good luck not getting too many ideas how to spend all your money on your Ascent!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! This is our fifth Subaru. I still like my 2013 3.6R a little better than the Ascent ... but mostly just because it does not have Eyesight or any of that lanekeeper stuff. It's a Limited without navigation.

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I appreciate the advice on the hitch. I doubt I will tow anything heavy enough for a WDH. I like to leave about a 1,500 lb margin. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate the advice on the hitch. I doubt I will tow anything heavy enough for a WDH. I like to leave about a 1,500 lb margin. :)
Don't worry, it's not about the weight. The Ascent does fine right up to its 5,000 pound rating. I tow this thing, which, in this pic, was at about 4,300 pounds. Personally, I like staying at 85% or under of a vehicle's rating, as others online recommend, but, this trailer isn't mine (I don't have one - and my friend no longer has a way to tow his own), so, its max is 88% instead of my preferred 85%... I'll live with that until I choose my own.

Short version, either way, you'll be fine without the WDH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all ... I just ordered the fog lights, hitch, and seatback protector.

Does the Ascent already have a good transmission cooler for towing? Or do I need to consider that too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, my hitch was $321, foglights $344, seatback protector $51. No tax and free shipping except for hitch, that cost $80 more. The dealer here wanted $390 for foglights and $458 for hitch. Unacceptable degree of markup.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,526 Posts
Does the Ascent already have a good transmission cooler for towing? Or do I need to consider that too?
The Premium, Limited and Touring trims all have 5000 lb towing limits and have what's needed to support that including appropriate cooling.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, my hitch was $321, foglights $344, seatback protector $51. No tax and free shipping except for hitch, that cost $80 more. The dealer here wanted $390 for foglights and $458 for hitch. Unacceptable degree of markup.
And if you install it your self the savings are endless lol I bought my hitch for like 319 and called dealer to ask just for install they were charging me 387 so did it myself with YouTube help lol waiting to install the fog lights. Have them sitting in my garage

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,526 Posts
I ordered the vehicle with the OEM hitch receiver installed and that's how it arrived...with no additional installation cost. But that doesn't help the OP if the one purchased doesn't already have it. I agree that self install is the least cost option, but one can also negotiate with the dealer for a number they can live with or hire a third party mechanic to do the work, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before I picked up my ascent had it lifted and trailer hitch installed by dealer. The dealership has incredible service center. I pull a NuCamp 400 with solar and boondock package. Of cource had to do my own brake controller the p2 prodigy that fits beautifully without screws or drilling. 42E5AF72-F98B-4DDB-B32C-319EED17C8AB.jpeg Really sweet. I have been hauling horse trailers, stock trailers and hay trailers most of my life. However that was with 1 ton Dully trucks. So this has been a learning experience for me. I will advise anyone no matter how much you have towed trailers every vehicle is different so take it easy and get some milleage under your belt before you take trailer on mountain roads,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts