Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow. My battery died while driving. I’ve been driving for 2 hours. I’ve brought this car in at least 7 times for various electrical problem. 3 new batteries. 2019 Accent. The battery has died on me at lest five times while at my cabin and elsewhere. Neighbors have jumped 3 times. I’m at my wits end. Radio blasts out of nowhere, weird lights that randomly go on on dashboard. I carry a battery charger with me. Always told they’ve fixed it. I bought an extended warranty. I want a mew car that I can rely on.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Have you spoken with Subaru of America at any point in time about this?

What specifically did they do each time to address the issues?

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is why i just purchased a new battery on my own knowing Subarus batteries are problematic. From what Ive heard, a bad battery can also cause a myriad of other electrical issues, so perhaps they are all related.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@packout

I have not specifically talked with Subaru of America. I’ve brought to 2 Subaru dealerships.
They have run a computer diagnostic test 2-3 times. Replaced battery 2 times-total-3. They say with all the electrical computer technology, this car drains the battery. I also brought it in for the rear hatch not opening. Meaning you can’t get to the trunk for charging cables.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Reach out directly to Subaru of America. Let them know of your battery issues and that you are not confident with the reliability of the OEM battery. Follow up by asking if they would offer the courtesy of reimbursing your purchase of a 3rd party battery. They will likely oblige (as was the case with me and many others). If granted, go with the Odyssey AGM battery - the best battery that money can buy.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
@Nancy1614

I strongly suggest you read the battery threads and call SOA. If you still need a battery, go out and buy an odyssey and SOA will reimburse you. Post what updates they performed because there has been a solution to your problem which is outlined in this forum. It need not have been this painful.

there are TSB on this issue outlining the solution including replacing the gate control module.

see this recent post. Regarding the battery, I and many other posters have had the battery replaced to one of our own choosing with a reimbursement. coordinate with SOA, not dealer prior to any purchase.

If you dealers have not yet done this then use a different dealer. Truly, if they see you again and again and still they do not talk with SOA tech line then they are not very good. You need to contact SOA directly. That is what they are there for.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You own an excellent car with a cheap battery. Follow the advice above, go out and buy a high-quality aftermarket battery and get SOA to pay for it. This will solve your problem as it did for me and many others here.

Due to its electrical demand and existing circuitry, the Ascent requires a much better heavier-duty battery than what Subaru supplies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@Nancy1614

I feel ya'. A couple of weeks ago, the radio on my 2020 Touring stopped playing audio. The next day the dashboard lights lit up like a Christmas tree and I was greeted with a dead battery. The feeling I had when using my trusty 2007 CRV to jump my new Subaru made me absolutely livid. Now of course when I went to the dealer... they were all like... 'wow, strange, never seen any battery or electrical issues... you must have left the door ajar' furthered added to my disgust. I told the dealer that they could cut the BS and waived a copy of the current Consumer's Reports on the poor reliability record of the Ascent in front of them and demanded that this be resolved... because clearly, there are several well-known problems with the electrical system on this car. The dealer placated me by testing the battery and proactively replacing the HK Amp. In no uncertain terms, I told the dealer that this is 'strike one' meaning that if I come back two more times with any electrical issues that I will force PA's lemon law down their throat.
In the year that I have owned this Ascent, I can truly say that I have zero confidence in its reliability, as in addition to the 'electrical short' that killed my battery, I am deeply troubled by the CVT 'chirp' and some other strange sounds emanating from the powertrain. My 14-year old Honda never makes transmission noises, never has had an electrical issue, never has been towed to the dealership, and has proven itself to be both safe and reliable which is more than anyone can say about this Subaru. I have a strong belief that my old Honda will still be going strong when this Ascent and I part ways.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
51 Posts
I went to the Odyssey battery site and, after going through their filters, received a result stating they don't have a model for the Ascent. (?) What model Odyssey are you using for the Ascent?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I went to the Odyssey battery site and, after going through their filters, received a result stating they don't have a model for the Ascent. (?) What model Odyssey are you using for the Ascent?
You'll need a Group 35 battery for the 2019-2021 Ascent. This is the Odyssey Performance Model #ODP-AGM35, they also make an Extreme Model #35-PC1400T

Consumer Reports Ratings for Group 35 Batteries:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Reach out directly to Subaru of America. Let them know of your battery issues and that you are not confident with the reliability of the OEM battery. Follow up by asking if they would offer the courtesy of reimbursing your purchase of a 3rd party battery. They will likely oblige (as was the case with me and many others). If granted, go with the Odyssey AGM battery - the best battery that money can buy.
They likely will pay for it ... but you have to be sure its a battery ...
the moment you do get "3rd party battery" and the problem not in the battery ... , now they can tell you its on you as you have "3rd party battery"..

IMO keep Subaru battery if you do it ...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Costco sells Interstate batteries. I've bought these from Costco for other cars and never had any issues with them and Costco has a great retrun policy and a warranty of 36 months. They are AGM also and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Oddyssey. They are going for $80. I'll be getting mine from Costco. I am sure the Oddyssey is a great battery but $250 sounds like a lot of money to me.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Odyssey has the ascent size battery. Group size 35 is the same for all brands.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Costco sells Interstate batteries. I've bought these from Costco for other cars and never had any issues with them and Costco has a great retrun policy and a warranty of 36 months. They are AGM also and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Oddyssey. They are going for $80. I'll be getting mine from Costco. I am sure the Oddyssey is a great battery but $250 sounds like a lot of money to me.

View attachment 7113
The $80 Group 35 Interstate battery Costco sells for the Ascent is not an AGM, but they do sell a Group 35 AGM battery for $155:

The Ascent requires a heavy-duty battery. If you can get SOA to pay for it, the Odessey Extreme Model #35-PC1400T would be your best choice.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The $80 Group 35 Interstate battery Costco sells for the Ascent is not an AGM, but they do sell a Group 35 AGM battery for $155:
View attachment 7114
The Ascent requires a heavy-duty battery. If you can get SOA to pay for it, the Odessey Extreme Model #35-PC1400T would be your best choice.
Extreme no longer is made but a few might be found in inventory.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
51 Posts
Thanks everybody. Nice to know my local Auto Zone has it or can get it. I have a lot of experience with AGM marine batteries in my boats.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
157 Posts
Please call SOA and they will reimburse you for any battery, doesn't matter how expensive. Oddysey is way to go. Been there done that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts