Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there...so some quick questions for general advice on how to best proceed: I hate feeling like I am paying too.much for anything. I have always purchased my vehicles via Chase, Costco and even consumer reports...so preordering takes those options out - Do you think it's worth it? I have always negotiated my $$ online and basically came in to pick up, signed and finished the financing paperwork. I had read somewhere that SE WI dealers were not really negotiating much - I should that still correct? Would calling around dealers and basically negotiating $ be completely Worth it? I can easily purchased in IL too...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Chicago dealer was selling cars at invoice, that is where this should always start for a Subaru IMO. I also think that if your trading a car in look at the bottom number not the trade number or the selling number there can always be wiggle room on either side of the line.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Shop around, I got a much better deal than the Chicago dealer. The big dealers have sold their initial allocation. If you can find a smaller dealer who hasn't, you might get a better deal.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was working with two different dealers (in CO) who were both essentially at invoice. One was actually slightly under. What sold it for me is one dealer said they would eat the handling and delivery fee (aprx $700). So if you are not getting at or very near invoice, go some where else.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
967 Posts
The big dealers have sold their initial allocation. If you can find a smaller dealer who hasn't, you might get a better deal.
Or not. I've got my entire July and August allocation sold at MSRP.

Supply and demand still applies, as will the 200 mile rule. There will be dealerships that will ignore this rule and they'll end up being penalized by Subaru for it. We've been told that Subaru corporate isn't going to be as lenient this time around once the cars actually start shipping. If a dealership wants to sell the car at invoice - which is where negotiations should end, not start - that's their business. If they want to take customers away from dealerships that aren't directly competing with them (the 200 mile rule), that's Subaru's business.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In the Chicagoland area, Grand still has a couple vehicles available in their August allotment. Sounds like they might be filled for August sometime this week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there...so some quick questions for general advice on how to best proceed: I hate feeling like I am paying too.much for anything. I have always purchased my vehicles via Chase, Costco and even consumer reports...so preordering takes those options out - Do you think it's worth it? I have always negotiated my $$ online and basically came in to pick up, signed and finished the financing paperwork. I had read somewhere that SE WI dealers were not really negotiating much - I should that still correct? Would calling around dealers and basically negotiating $ be completely Worth it? I can easily purchased in IL too...
I'm in Milwaukee and tried all the Wisconsin dealers within reasonable distance... if you want to buy in Wisconsin get an eQuote from Sommers (just live chat them and they'll give you a pretty good price, around 7% off.) That said calling into Grand or Berman in northern IL you should be able to get a little over 9% off (especially once you have Sommers number in hand). Its worth making a call or two to confirm allotments at this point in the game as jd33 mentioned.

If you are set on buying in Wisconsin, Sommers claims that the price could come down to around 9% once they have ready cars on the lot but that could be a matter of waiting 8-9 months from now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Or not. I've got my entire July and August allocation sold at MSRP.

Supply and demand still applies, as will the 200 mile rule. There will be dealerships that will ignore this rule and they'll end up being penalized by Subaru for it. We've been told that Subaru corporate isn't going to be as lenient this time around once the cars actually start shipping. If a dealership wants to sell the car at invoice - which is where negotiations should end, not start - that's their business. If they want to take customers away from dealerships that aren't directly competing with them (the 200 mile rule), that's Subaru's business.
Northern IL is within 90 miles, so not a problem for SE Wisconsin.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I also work at a Subaru Dealership and we're almost sold out of September allocation and I know we are not the cheapest dealership in the area. We regularly get beat on price, but the competition doesn't know how to treat a customer. Almost weakly I'll get someone in my store that asks us to beat the competition's price and we say no. But the customer really doesn't want to go back to the other dealerships so they still buy from us. Its not a huge jump in price but its all about how you treat people, not the bottom line.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I also work at a Subaru Dealership and we're almost sold out of September allocation and I know we are not the cheapest dealership in the area. We regularly get beat on price, but the competition doesn't know how to treat a customer. Almost weakly I'll get someone in my store that asks us to beat the competition's price and we say no. But the customer really doesn't want to go back to the other dealerships so they still buy from us. Its not a huge jump in price but its all about how you treat people, not the bottom line.
I hear you man. I have been talking with a dealer for nearly a year in anticipation of the Ascent. But when it came time to order, he was getting beat by nearly 1,000. I absolutely hated to walk away from him but 1K is 1K. If I told my wife I spent and extra grand because I liked the guy...well, you know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thankfully the lease on my current car is not up until Jan 1st 2019. No car is worth paying MSRP for just to get it first. Gives time to see if any kinks need to be ironed out and read reviews. The Ascent is certainly looking like it will be my next car. Lease or buy not sure yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG, yes what a huge difference between MKE and Chicago... One of the MKE dealers wanted MSRP price for the limited and told me the starting price was actually 1K more than advertized (!!!). I have called 4 dealers already - 3 in WI and 2 in IL - the further south I went the cheaper I got - I have a quote for a limited under 37K, which I thought was great ---- Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aliyah - they wanted full MSRP price... and I have 2 vehicles already from them - very disappointed as they are in my neighborhood =(

btw... got a under 37K quote for a limited one in IL - and another deal was even "giving away" a remote starter - with a quote of 38K. Thanks for the encouragement!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Aliyah - they wanted full MSRP price... and I have 2 vehicles already from them - very disappointed as they are in my neighborhood =(

btw... got a under 37K quote for a limited one in IL - and another deal was even "giving away" a remote starter - with a quote of 38K. Thanks for the encouragement!!
No problem!

Sommers wanted MSRP? That is a change. Subaru City (Shlossman) wanted MSRP when I was shopping but I guess demand has picked up or Sommers doesn't have much left for allocations...

The physical remote starter is about $400 I believe so the 38k is not as good a deal as under 37. - Grand quoted me 36.6K for a limited so if you are higher than that let me know, I can shoot you my sales rep's cell number (don't want to post publicly.) They also stated there is a rebate coupon on the Remote Start but not sure how much it will take off. If you bought 2 subarus before you should also be able to get the $500 off customer loyalty thing but I'm sure you know about that. Altogether that's a pretty sweet deal!

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
OMG, yes what a huge difference between MKE and Chicago... One of the MKE dealers wanted MSRP price for the limited and told me the starting price was actually 1K more than advertized (!!!). I have called 4 dealers already - 3 in WI and 2 in IL - the further south I went the cheaper I got - I have a quote for a limited under 37K, which I thought was great ---- Thoughts?
Limited under 37, but with what add ons?

·
Registered
967 Posts

Uh ... Limited's don't have remote start as a factory option anymore. It's part of the Starlink program now for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no add-ons at this time. Although the few things I want are not more than 1K anyway. However, the $$ differences are very shocking to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aliyah - yeah Grand did not even ask me how much they got beat by --- I told them they got outbid and she just gave me some recommendations (I thought she was really nice too!).
I also noticed yesterday that Costco purchasing program now has the Ascent in their system and I entered my info - I got Sommers again - the sales person emailed me and I told them about the fact that they had quoted me way higher so that if they could match the price, I be more than happy to purchase from them ( I have purchased my previous vehicles with them too!) So lets wait and see.. although I doubt they will match.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, that was my experience with grand too, that they cared about the customer, even if they were deal-hunting cheeseheads.

I doubt Sommers will hit what IL dealers are doing, they gave me an "eprice" at 7% off, eprices are typically a "lowest bid to start" so there is no haggling. For whatever reason dealers are just not getting there. And you said they most recently gave you MSRP! They'd be "nice" to go down to their initial eprice.

For what its worth, I had the same hassle last time I was in the market (2016 Sienna XLE, RIP Total loss, rear-ended in March) with Andrew Toyota and a bunch of other dealerships in Wisconsin. Ended up getting the car for 2.25K less at Continental in La Grange Illinois. My own personal theory is volume and having to deal with a sales tax that is ~4% higher.

·
Registered
25 Posts
PS I would totally get the limited too! I got the premium with the upgrade package so the only difference is the leather and rims, at a savings of a little over 3K. Don't care about the rims, and the plan with leather is to let the kids mess up the "treated" cloth for a few years while they're really young and then get fresh leather when they're not testing gravity by throwing sweet potato at the floor and seeing if it falls downward yet again.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts