Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
One of the first things I do when we buy a new vehicle is that I put the ring with the numbered tag in the file with the paperwork so it's in a known place. Of course, that means I actually still have the little key tag for the 2011 Outback Limited we suddenly traded in on Professor Dr. SWMBO's new 2020 Forester Limited a couple months ago. It wasn't a planned transaction... LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I appreciate learning about the key tag, and will look for ours. We also have a Toyota, and I was able to have the key to that car copied at Home Depot. I had to buy the electronic key, for about $75, and then they copied it for me, since I had the original. Note that the new key starts the car perfectly, but doesn't have any of the remote buttons to lock, unlock or alarm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
<snip>

We don't have remote start installed - would that help at all to pony up for the system? Do the remote start fobs that come with that also function to allow running/locking/etc?

Thanks.
AFAIK, All 2019 Touring Ascents (which I think all have the Starlink II system) do have a "remote start" feature through a smartphone app Down "My Subaru" from any phone App store. Remote start, lock/unlock doors, flash horns and lights, get "vehicle health", locate vehicle, etc.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Argh. We lost a fob in a local state park - retraced over 5 miles of the route without seeing it, so probably SOL (left contact info at the park office, just in case someone turns it in, but not counting on that happening).

For a retired person, what's the best and least expensive option(s) to get where we have 2 functioning ways to get into and safely/reliably run our Ascent again? Just go to the dealer? Ask for a pity price? Something else?

We don't have remote start installed - would that help at all to pony up for the system? Do the remote start fobs that come with that also function to allow running/locking/etc?

Thanks.
My Ascent only came with one key fob (I had done a pre-order and for some reason the dealership where I bought it accidentally kept the second fob). I took it to my local dealership which was closer and they made me a duplicate and paired it with the one that came with the car. It wasn’t that expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
34 Posts
Car fob replacement cost maybe covered by insurance... I.e. check your roadside assistance benefits CAA/AAA etc. Or if you've purchased optional vehicle coverage, it may include replacement keys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The VIN gives a Subaru dealer (any Subaru dealer) access to the key number for your Ascent. It is ordered through the Subaru Parts department and has to be programmed to the vehicle which Subaru charges for. Last time I heard the total was less than $400 which is not cheap but smart fobs never are. A friend lost his last Lexus ES330 key (in 2006) and they charged him over $1300 because they had to replace the ECM as well. This is a good reason for the Starlink Upgrade. You don't need to take the key out of the purse, coat pocket etc. as often because your smart phone helps find the car, open the doors etc.

The good news is that you can get a key, the bad news is that is not cheap. Some dealerships can cut the key others have to order it pre-cut so is delayed.
Good luck my friend.
Alex
Argh. We lost a fob in a local state park - retraced over 5 miles of the route without seeing it, so probably SOL (left contact info at the park office, just in case someone turns it in, but not counting on that happening).

For a retired person, what's the best and least expensive option(s) to get where we have 2 functioning ways to get into and safely/reliably run our Ascent again? Just go to the dealer? Ask for a pity price? Something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
An easy solution is to take a picture of the key tag and email it to yourself. If you have your phone setup with google photos a copy of the picture will be saved there as well

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Took the car in on Monday; took less than an hour to get the new fob reprogrammed. The mechanical key part didn't come in for a couple more days. I picked it up today. Never had to give the tag number - somehow they knew what to get. When I got it the lady said "Subaru cut it" when I mentioned going to make sure it would open the door. It did open the door, but then the horn started beeping until I hit the fob unlock button. We got a set of Tile Mates to keep tabs on our fobs now. Final with tax was about $367.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I know mine has my code someplace - though I've actually managed to keep my tag easy to find, which isn't like me, lol! Anyway, my bad keys habits aside (I guess I solved it with a set of hooks at the door), perhaps they recorded yours on your account to ensure it was handy for just such a need.

If I get a chance later, I will dig out the programming instructions and see if I can make sense of it. It's been ages since I've looked at them (it's not like I have the programmer, so, it was simply out of curiosity).
When I first got the vehicle I noticed the metal plate and had no idea what it was for, but I figured it was important. I recorded this and other important data in my Dashlane secure notes that I can access anytime through phone or computer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Took the car in on Monday; took less than an hour to get the new fob reprogrammed. The mechanical key part didn't come in for a couple more days. I picked it up today. Never had to give the tag number - somehow they knew what to get. When I got it the lady said "Subaru cut it" when I mentioned going to make sure it would open the door. It did open the door, but then the horn started beeping until I hit the fob unlock button. We got a set of Tile Mates to keep tabs on our fobs now. Final with tax was about $367.
Did you have an existing Fob? If so, they don't need the tag number. The problem is when you have no Fob or Tag Number

21 - 31 of 31 Posts