Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argh. We lost a fob in a local state park - retraced over 5 miles of the route without seeing it, so probably SOL (left contact info at the park office, just in case someone turns it in, but not counting on that happening).

For a retired person, what's the best and least expensive option(s) to get where we have 2 functioning ways to get into and safely/reliably run our Ascent again? Just go to the dealer? Ask for a pity price? Something else?

We don't have remote start installed - would that help at all to pony up for the system? Do the remote start fobs that come with that also function to allow running/locking/etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Argh. We lost a fob in a local state park - retraced over 5 miles of the route without seeing it, so probably SOL (left contact info at the park office, just in case someone turns it in, but not counting on that happening).

For a retired person, what's the best and least expensive option(s) to get where we have 2 functioning ways to get into and safely/reliably run our Ascent again? Just go to the dealer? Ask for a pity price? Something else?

We don't have remote start installed - would that help at all to pony up for the system? Do the remote start fobs that come with that also function to allow running/locking/etc?

Thanks.
Did you save the tiny metal tag that was attached to one of your key fobs at delivery? It was about 1/4"x1/2". It will save you a few hundred dollars in replacement costs. If so, take it to your dealership.

If you programed in a Pin Code (see manual), you will be able to get into your car, but just not start it. There is a button on the rear gate to the right of the license plate that you use to program in a 5 digit number

·
Registered
313 Posts
Did you save the tiny metal tag that was attached to one of your key fobs at delivery? It was about 1/4"x1/2". It will save you a few hundred dollars in replacement costs. If so, take it to your dealership.

If you programed in a Pin Code (see manual), you will be able to get into your car, but just not start it. There is a button on the rear gate to the right of the license plate that you use to program in a 5 digit number
The paper tag on our second key also had code the written on it. No idea if all dealerships make that a practice.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The paper tag on our second key also had code the written on it. No idea if all dealerships make that a practice.
The metal tag is suppose to be a practice and is mentioned/showed in the manual as something you are to receive. Nice that the code was written on the other fob also. Did they tell you what the code was for? Mine didn't, but I knew from previous purchase when it was mentioned. I have the number in my phone contacts and written in the manual. Hopefully, if I every need it, I will have immediate access to it.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
There is no "inexpensive", but with the key tag number, a duplicate fob for your vehicle can be programmed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't know what it cost with the key tag number, but without it, someone on another site paid $300 a few years ago. I'm sure it's more expensive now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We do still have one working fob and I would assume we have the key code somewhere since we just bought it not quite a year ago.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited
5 Posts
Worked for me.. worst case is you end up with an extra fob if yours is found and returned. The dealer can make all the fob's work on your car.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That works (having another fob), it's when you have nothing or are stuck someplace with no access to the 2nd Fob that you have a problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The metal tag is suppose to be a practice and is mentioned/showed in the manual as something you are to receive. Nice that the code was written on the other fob also. Did they tell you what the code was for? Mine didn't, but I knew from previous purchase when it was mentioned. I have the number in my phone contacts and written in the manual. Hopefully, if I every need it, I will have immediate access to it.
Nope.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really don't understand the key code tag. Can't the dealer just look up the code by your VIN when programming the key? Surely they can't program a fob with just that tag number.

A feature in my F150 I really like: I have the push button start system, and if you have two working keys you can program a third or fourth yourself. There is a process where you put key 1 on a sensor, then key 2, then the key to program. I got a new blank key on ebay for $65 and programmed it myself for free. If you only have one key you have to go to the dealer. But now if I lose one, I will have two left to program another spare.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I really don't understand the key code tag. Can't the dealer just look up the code by your VIN when programming the key? Surely they can't program a fob with just that tag number.

A feature in my F150 I really like: I have the push button start system, and if you have two working keys you can program a third or fourth yourself. There is a process where you put key 1 on a sensor, then key 2, then the key to program. I got a new blank key on ebay for $65 and programmed it myself for free. If you only have one key you have to go to the dealer. But now if I lose one, I will have two left to program another spare.
No, they can't look it up by the VIN # See Section 2.1 of the thick manual. "Your key number plate will be required if you ever need a replacement key made. Any new key must be registered for use with your vehicle's immobilizer system before it can be used......... etc"

·
Registered
20 Posts
No, they can't look it up by the VIN # See Section 2.1 of the thick manual. "Your key number plate will be required if you ever need a replacement key made. Any new key must be registered for use with your vehicle's immobilizer system before it can be used......... etc"
I would be very surprised if they didn't have one way or another to make a key. What if I lose both keys and the key tag? I have to junk my car because it's impossible to get a key for it?

I went with my friend to get a new key at the dealer for his Toyota. They bought it used with only one key. In the conversation with the service guy the topic of losing all keys came up. He said you have to tow the car in and they have to replace the computer in the car - there is no way for them to program a new key without at least one working key, so they have to start with a new computer and marry it to new keys.

The same friend also had a new car stolen the day he bought it last fall. It was recovered beat up real bad and would have been driveable except the thiefs took both his keys. It was a new-for-2020 model and the dealer couldn't get keys for it yet with no ETA. It ended up being totaled due to all the damage.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
I would be very surprised if they didn't have one way or another to make a key. What if I lose both keys and the key tag? I have to junk my car because it's impossible to get a key for it?
No, but that leaves one key registered when the other key without a code is de-registered. So, it means registering two new keys, if I understand the process correctly. IIRC, all keys have to be present and the codes known, and re-registered when new FOBs are being added to the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, but that leaves one key registered when the other key without a code is de-registered. So, it means registering two new keys, if I understand the process correctly. IIRC, all keys have to be present and the codes known, and re-registered when new FOBs are being added to the system.
Thanks Robert,
I recently purchased my used Ascent. It came with 2 fob's and no tags. I wanted to add a 3rd fob for a family member. The dealer said they didn't need a tag as long as the had all fob's (in this case 3) to reprogram at the same time. Not sure if anything was done behind the scene, but all 3 now are set for the car. Hope this helps for anyone that has at least 1 fob.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
Thanks Robert,
I recently purchased my used Ascent. It came with 2 fob's and no tags. I wanted to add a 3rd fob for a family member. The dealer said they didn't need a tag as long as the had all fob's (in this case 3) to reprogram at the same time. Not sure if anything was done behind the scene, but all 3 now are set for the car. Hope this helps for anyone that has at least 1 fob.
I know mine has my code someplace - though I've actually managed to keep my tag easy to find, which isn't like me, lol! Anyway, my bad keys habits aside (I guess I solved it with a set of hooks at the door), perhaps they recorded yours on your account to ensure it was handy for just such a need.

If I get a chance later, I will dig out the programming instructions and see if I can make sense of it. It's been ages since I've looked at them (it's not like I have the programmer, so, it was simply out of curiosity).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know mine has my code someplace - though I've actually managed to keep my tag easy to find, which isn't like me, lol! Anyway, my bad keys habits aside (I guess I solved it with a set of hooks at the door), perhaps they recorded yours on your account to ensure it was handy for just such a need.

If I get a chance later, I will dig out the programming instructions and see if I can make sense of it. It's been ages since I've looked at them (it's not like I have the programmer, so, it was simply out of curiosity).
That may be the answer. I think the car was a local so they may have the code at the dealership.. Thanks..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts